SAU Community

Looking to purchase a R33. Your help needed

What are your specs Scotty?

- 20yo

- 20% n/c bonus

- R33 GTS-T

- No fines, infringements

- $26,500 value

Famous Classic Car Insurance (Perth - but they insure all of AU) quoted me $3299. A couple of people here are with them already, they haven't had any problems but haven't made claims yet (that's a good thing though :().

Good luck in your quest. I got crap rates from Just Car & Young and Cool.

Tim

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

G0DF4Th3R is with them and he told me he had a couple of mods (air filter, alloys and a couple of other things I think) and they were cool about it he said.

Originally posted by Phil

What is Famous Classic Car Insurance like for mods?

I might give them a call.. my quote from Just Car is over $3k and I'm the same as you except I'm 23.

And hope you don't have an accident, theft or hit-and-run on your car? :(

Having said that, comprehensive insurance with these places is useless for minor damage (say under 1 or 2 thousand) cos the excess is more plus it may affect your no claim bonus.

But in the end, what made me decide to get comp was the theft aspect.

Originally posted by akeenan

ok heres what to do:

get 3rd party insurance for 420 from just cars..

buy the black 1994 series 1 for 11200+ extras say approx 15-16k(look in the for sale part).

and ur done!

And hope you don't have an accident, theft or hit-and-run on your car?

so do i but you can limit the chances of this happening depending on where u park it at night and during the day etc..

oh some insurance compaines cover your car if you are involved in some tricky situations eg: someone with no insurance runs into you etc..

however if your paying a few k per year for eg: 2 years youve spent say 6k-7k and you have no accident then you have saved 7k.

if you have 3rd party and are paying less and you have an accident it would really cost u the same or less to fix the car..from the savings you have made... if that makes sense

however if you write off the car with only 3rd party insurance ur in trouble.

Yeah agreed. Comp isn't required for small at-fault accidents cos the excess would be more than the price to fix!

And for a $10-15,000 car, it's not worth paying a few grand a year cos you would have paid the value of the car in a few years!

In my opinion, for a car of that value, better to risk it, and if you lose your car.. you pay it back for X number of years, but if you're lucky and nothing happens.. you save a lot.

Try if you can really afford it to get satellite tracking for your car. It's a lot of money up-front ($2000) and around $350 per year after that, but you can transfer it to your next car for minimal cost. If you're not going to get full comp insurance I reckon it's almost an essential item on any car worth more than $10k or so (if it's a thief-target like a Skyline anyway).

I have full comp but am seriously considering going the way of 3rd party property plus a tracker when my renewal comes around, unless I can somehow scam some fleet-priced insurance or something.

G'day all,

Well, depressed as ever, I'll still try to answer your questions.

Background:

23 YO

Suspended licence 4 months. 140 in 80

Driving whilst suspended - went to court etc

another fine 115 in 100

rating 4

So yeah, not the greatest track record. Would consider third party, however scared being a skyline and all. I currently drive a VL Calais, third party only and the only place who would touch me was just cars. Currently paying $830 (i think) just or third party!

The other problem with third party is that if your car gets stolen, you're only entitled to get $5K back. Considering my excess given history is $1500, buy a car, say 15K, and if stolen, only get $3500 back and losing rating, I can't justify it.

Any other thoughts, or loopholes you can think of? Thanks!

I didn't know you got any money back if your car was stolen and you only had 3rd party, that's pretty sweet.

its called 3rd party fire and theft..

3rd party and 3rd party fire and theft are different

3rd party is about 400 a year

3rd party fire and theft is about 800 per year.

Originally posted by tlai909

You can't get third party fire and theft in NSW... don't ask me why... it just is...

T.

You can, it depends on the insurance company. But yeah, most of the ones that offer it in other states don't offer it in NSW.

Western QBE will insure my bike 3rd party/fire/theft (didn't ask about car), for about $50 less than full comprehensive. When you're talking about a $1200+ premium here, who the hell would bother?!

Hi guys,

Just really quickly, there is no plastic blah blah on the series II. The turbo's on both the cars are apparently exactly the same., Part numbers etc also the same.

Series II parts are a little more expensive. especially the front bar. So if you are considering it, DONT smash it.

Try $2400 on trade price... $1000 for left side light cluster, $1000 for right side light cluster and then $450 for UNPAINTED bumper. Headlights range from $650 upwards for series II and in nearly all cases need to be ordered from Nissan, Second hand series II lights are rare as hens teeth. Most importers even now will not bring through series II parts because it is just too expensive in Japan for them to continue making huge profits.

This is prolly more the reason for the price differences.

Most of the series II's had an active electronically controlled LSD as opposed to a mechanically controlled one. This means smoother power to the ground especially when traction is hard to come by. The rear strut brace from what I can recall is only standard on M spec seriesII's and ofcourse the GTR'S (bow down)

I personally think it is more about looks than anything else. Sure driving lights are a nice factory addition but goddamn those headlights at night looks spankin

So crystal clear... Its like looking at 1994 rexes and then the 1998 rexes headlights, you cant go past the clean crystal look.

Anyways back to da insurance. I work for an insurance company and luckily i get it pretty dirt cheap for a 22 year old with a loss of licence. I can tell you guys now that replicating this is damn near impossible unless you work for a company that does insurance.

For all those in perth, I know HBF now have started doing turbo imports where previously they just laughed. If you are under 21 with a turbo dont call, no chance. Anyone else is fair game as long as you dont have at fault accidents or losses of licence or drink driving convictions or dangerous/reckless driving etc.

Anyways, i am new to all this forum stuff, and i love it, you guys are all so funny and stuff, sheesh, glad to be a part of it all. Someone let me know when there is a get together cruise thingo so I can meet anyone who is in Perth. My car is virginal at the moment and I am sure she is aching for some action, so let the mods begin.

Peace Y'all

Most of the series II's had an active electronically controlled LSD as opposed to a mechanically controlled one. This means smoother power to the ground especially when traction is hard to come by. The rear strut brace from what I can recall is only standard on M spec seriesII's and ofcourse the GTR'S (bow down)

and my series one :)

Originally posted by SpecII

This is prolly more the reason for the price differences.  

Most of the series II's had an active electronically controlled LSD as opposed to a mechanically controlled one. This means smoother power to the ground especially when traction is hard to come by. The rear strut brace from what I can recall is only standard on M spec seriesII's and  ofcourse the GTR'S (bow down)

I don't think this is correct.. most of them are NOT A-LSD.. that is still very rare on series 2s ..

Also.. all m-spec's are turbo and vice versa so only non-turbos will miss out on the rear strut brace ..