SAU Community

oil leak - bellhousing

predator

My R32 appears to have an oil leak down near the bellhousing...

This is where it appears to be dripping from, but haven't had much of a chance to see whether there is any other source..

why?

Stuffed crank seal? causing oil to blow out of the back of the crank and to collect in the bellhousing? Is there a gasket between the block and the bellhousing usually?

Its an auto.. but appears to be engine oil..

Any advice thanks..

predator i have the same problem, Oil collecting around the bellhousing and sump. I have a feeling its making its way down from the motor in my case. Best thing to do if you have time is degrease the whole shite show and track it down.

Yeah.. pretty much what I suspected.. thanks

Luckily I have to rip the gearbox out anyhow in a couple of months when I convert it to manual, so can probably fix it then.

Will give it a degrease and proper check though beforehand though, just to see if its anything else.

So its just where this blue gasket gunk is in this photo? this is off my rb25 sitting there, but should be same right? Just have to unbolt that and install new gasket there?

They dont leak from the gasket usualy , its the round seal you can see in the pic , the crank spins on it and sooner or later it will wear out and let oil pass .

When you have the box out pull the seal out and carefuly install the new one in , just tap it in using the old seal and a hammer .

when you remove the seal housing you will notice that it has made a groove in the crank.

you dont want the new seal to ride in the groove.so when you install the new seal hit it in but not all the way,this will make the lip of the seal sit just behind the groove and it will last 10 times longer.

also rub a small amount of grease on the lip of the seal to stop it burning when you start the engine