SAU Community

Advice on what to do...

makaveli

Hi Guys,

I own a r32 gts-t thats currently making 160 rw kw's.

In the next month or so I plan to do either of the following:

- Buy a hks gt-rs turbo, dump pipe, power fc and gtr injectors.

OR

- Do a rb25 NEO conversion with gearbox, and power fc

All input will be appreciated!

take care

Mark

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well after buying:

turbo - $2,500

power fc - $1,500

gtr injectors - $400

dump pipe - $300

then labour and tuning it will be quite similar.

The benefit is the neo engine and gearbox will be only a few years old and gearbox will handle more power for future upgrades.

Although im open to everyones ideas.

thanks

Mark

well after buying:

turbo - $2,500

power fc - $1,500

gtr injectors - $400

dump pipe - $300

then labour and tuning it will be quite similar.

The benefit is the neo engine and gearbox will be only a few years old and gearbox will handle more power for future upgrades.

Although im open to everyones ideas.

thanks

Mark

Hi Mark, simple answer, if you do turbo, power fc, gtr injectors, dump pipe and decent tuning the RB20DET will have a lot more power than a standerd RB25. Plus all those bits can be transferred over to an RB25, all it will need is a bit of further tuning.

Hope that helps:cheers:

PS; I have never seen an RB20 break an RB20 gearbox, driver abuse and lack of maintenance are the usual causes.

Hey sydneykid,  

just wondering what oil do you use in your rb20 gear boxes or any other in that case??? For streeet and for track???

Cheers

George

Hi George, my cars have Castrol synthetic lubricants everywhere. So in the gearboxes we use Castrol Syntrax 75W-90.:P

SydneyKid which option would you take?

My gearbox whines at the moment and I have always had Castrol Oil in it, Im worried if I stay with the rb20 that it will break.

In my opinion a Neo engine and box will be good because its not very old.

Anyone else got some ideas on my situation???

Thanks

Mark

SydneyKid which option would you take?

My gearbox whines at the moment and I have always had Castrol Oil in it, Im worried if I stay with the rb20 that it will break.

In my opinion a Neo engine and box will be good because its not very old.

Anyone else got some ideas on my situation???

Thanks  

Mark

Hi Mark, I was faced with your situation with my own personal R32 GTST, the old RB20 had done 170,000 k's and the gearbox the same. I seriously looked at an RB25DET (non Neo) engine and gearbox, cost ~$7K. Then I looked closely at what I really wanted, the standard RB25 simply wasn't going to cut the mustard. It needed upgrades to get to where I wanted it (500 bhp), then I added up the cost of those upgrades, ~$8K. The reality was for way less than ~$15K I could build a serious 3.1 litre (RB30 bottom end with an RB26 top end), that would make the power target easily.

It is worth pointing out that the RB25DET Neo is not a simple fit into the R32GTST. You need to factor in the costs associated with necessary changes to the wiring harness, ECU, sensors, clutch, tailshaft etc. A couple of examples might help.

Firstly, the Neo version of VVT (note that the RB20DET doesn't have ANY VVT) is infinitely variable, not on or off like the early RB25s'. This requires a "Neo" ECU, or if you intend tuning it, an ECU capable of that sort of control. They are not as common (read cheap) as the non Neo Power FC for example. Secondly, the gearbox outut shaft is not the same as the RB20's nor is the gearbox the same length. This means a front tailshaft has to be made using the right yoke. Another, if you ever want to upgrade the cams you have to buy Neo camshafts, they have solid lifters not hydraulic like earleir RB25s'. They are much rarer (read more expensive) in the used market. Moving on to injectors, Neo injectors are not the same as the earlier model's, they are much harder to find upgrades for (read more expensive).

Don't get me wrong, I really like the Neo vesion of the RB25DET, it is by far the best. If I had a maximum power target of 225 rwkw (usual exhaust, filter, tune mods), then they are hard to go past. But if your power target is higher than that, then I strongly suggest you add up ALL the costs to get there.

Hope that made some sense:cheers:

Thankyou Kindly Sydney Kid,

The info on the Neo Engine was very helpful!!!!

Maybe I can just get my hands on a later model rb25 (Non Neo) and gearbox, power fc, dump pipe, injectors and a hks 2540 or something similar.

I think that would work really nice. I would like to be able to achieve 250 odd rw kw's in the future although I would like that there as an option and cruise with 220 or so.

Would that sound like a nice set up?

Thanks Again

Mark

sounds like a nice setup makeveli, i'd rather go for the option of the rb30 combo that sydneykid pointed out. more response, more potential for future and maybe even cheaper that getting a front cut rb25????

also makeveli, why dont u like the rb20??? too slow?? too much lag???

Cheers

George

Hi George,

I love the rb20, don't get me wrong I just think that the rb25 is great on the 32.

A mate took me for a spin in his rb25 equiped 32 and it felt great.

Plus I think it would be better for $$$ getting a rb25 engine and gearbox as the gearbox is alot stronger and engine felt so smooth. It would feel crazy if i did get a power fc, injectors and turbo.

I know a mate that gets half cuts and parts so ill see what I can do :cheers:

Take it easy

Mark

Im still not sure on what option to go for :(

I know i will definetly need the rb25 gearbox although I dont know whether to:

Buy a hks gt-rs turbo, dump pipe, power fc, and gtr injectors

or

Buy a rb25, power fc and if i can afford it a hks 2540 or something similar.

Im still not sure on what option to go for :)

I know i will definetly need the rb25 gearbox although I dont know whether to:

Buy a hks gt-rs turbo, dump pipe, power fc, and gtr injectors

or

Buy a rb25, power fc and if i can afford it a hks 2540 or something similar.

I have an R32 GTST as well, and i have smashed 2 gearboxes, and all my other mates with R32 GTST's have smashed the same amount if not, more.

The Rb20 boxes are GAY and are the weak link.

Getting an R33 box is the way to go, definitely hook that up. Put an Rb25det box in there, and get the tailshaft fabricated and you will be loving it.

What i would be afraid of, is putting an Rb25 in my car, modding it, then busting the engine... i would be p1ssed because rb25s are a lot more expensive than RB20s. We've bought Rb20 motors for $600 and thats an aspect i love about the engine ! =)

If i were you:

definitely put an RB25 box in it

Turbo Upgrade

ECU upgrade

Injectors

Dump/Front Pipe

You will see the 200rwkw mark and thats quite a bit of power, and if it busts its not that much to replace it with another RB20.

RB25s in standard form (not talking about the neo engine here) have never stood out to me, i've had many friends who have busted rb25 engines with minimal mods.

To me it sounds like your on a budget because you can either do one or the other... think about "what if it sh1ts itself" can you afford to wack another RB25 in it?

Thanks for the advice buddy :)

I don't wish to chase crazy kw figures, I just want something smooth and quick within reason.

I did go for a spin in a 32 with a stock rb25det with fmc,pod, 32 re-mapped ecu, 11psi and it was a wonderful combination!!!

Take it easy

Mark

aKTiVE:

How much power were in front of these RB20 boxes that smashed? And more importantly how were they being treated when they broke, be honest now.

I dont have a lot of power, just over 200rwkw which is fine for me and I have had no dramas with the box at all.

It has 275 tyres and a decent twin plate but in saying that I dont give it an awfully hard time. I dont slam it into gear and I never flat shift.

Also note R31NISMOID from these forums has a 250rwkw plus RB25 in front of an RB20 box and last I heard its still intact. And it gets a decent workout as well.

200rwkw roughly.

we are not especially kind to our boxes... the cars are used for drift therefore have to cope with 3rd gear clutch dumps, rarely compression locks and other things as you can imagine.

Its the input shaft that goes bung on them =

Thanks for the advice buddy :)

I don't wish to chase crazy kw figures, I just want something smooth and quick within reason.  

I did go for a spin in a 32 with a stock rb25det with fmc,pod, 32 re-mapped ecu, 11psi and it was a wonderful combination!!!

Take it easy

Mark

hey man, if that to you was perfection, then i think you should aim for that ! Its what suits you at the end of the day.

The rb25 would feel much better in terms of driveability and when the torque curve begins.

It sounds like you are very keen on this Rb25 conversion - so go for it !.... either that or buy an R33 =) heh.