SAU Community

Basic mods...

I know, I know, these get covered all the time and I've read many a thread on them, hence how I got my ideas for what I want to actually mod... BUT this thread is really me just needing confirmation that I'm heading in the right direction for some basic mods. :)

So anyway I've got an stock R32 GTS-T with a full 3 inch exhaust system and thats about it so far. It's going to be a daily driver so reliability is of the utmost importance, and as I'm going back to full time study this year everything I do is on a budget. My plan is in the end to be running 200-250rwkw.

Basically I've got the exhaust covered so I'm planning to go for as my next "stage" - FMIC (something like this: http://www.modyourcar.com.au/product_info....roducts_id=2058 ), pod filter, upping the boost, then a re-tune (do I need an engine management system for this, or can u tune the standard chip?). How does that look? Would I be looking at close to 200rwkw at this stage of things? Does anyone know what a reputable workshop would roughly charge for installing and tuning this?

Also rather than just using the stock turbo, would upgrading to say an RB25 turbo be worth it for a gain in - a) reliability, B) better low end power and c) for potential higher boost? If so how much would I be looking at for a second hand RB25 turbo installed and boosted? And also what power figures could I be looking at with an RB25 turbo, FMIC, pod filter and tune?

Also in terms of monitoring all this I'll be adding a turbo timer + boost gauge? That should be all I need really?

With these mod's will I be safe with the standard fuel pump?

Sorry about all the questions, I've learnt heaps already from you guys already but yeh I just need these things to be set straight in my mind :)

Thanks heaps,

Adam

Hey there,

To hit the 250rwkw mark you will require a larger turbo. On the stock however you should be able to get a good 180ish rwkw out of it.

Seeing you already have exhaust, the cheapest thing you can do to gain some power would be the pod filter and upping boost by installing a boost controller. the HKS super power flow is a popular pod, you can get a second hand unit for around $100, bolts straight on. Boost controllers are easy to install so again no cost for installation.

FMIC is a really good power getter, the FMIC you have from that link is ok but remember the FMIC is only part of the cost, you will also require piping. You can get piping made up for around $700-800 if you dont purchase a kit. Once you have the FMIC + piping you can install it yourself, i did mine with a mate, took an afternoon. Kits are nice because they come with everything you need to slap it right on.

With the retune, the stock ECU can be chipped so you can make some changes, howver the changes you can make are minimal compared to a decent fuel computer/engine management (apexi SAFC, PowerFC) . To the best of my knowledge a chip will cost around the $500 mark? With FMIC/pod/exhaust/upped boost your car will run fine without a retune (probably really rich) its just the engine management will make it run better/squeeze out more kw's. In this case you might want to consider whether to get a chip put in or to chuck in a few more bucks and get an apexi PFC, these can be picked up for about 1000, installation is simple it plugs straight into where the stock ECU does, tuning probably chuck in another $300 ish. SAFC is about $400 mark if you are looking for a cheaper option. I'd say go the SAFC over a chipped ECU, if you have the extra cash throw in the PFC.

With more boost etc, you will probably want to look into a bigger fuel pump to supply your engine adequately. Again another couple of hundred here, installation shouldn't be too deer.

i've known of a few guys popping in rb25 stock turbo's in r32. The cost is about $400-500. when buying a turbo just check for shaft play - this is side to side and up and down movement of the shaft of the turbo. side to side you dont want any play at all, up and down i think a millimeter is ok but not too much more. Turbo is newer so yes more reliable. Rb25 turbo should support 12p without too much problem, however push it to 14p/1 bar and it wont last too long.

power figures could I be looking at with an RB25 turbo, FMIC, pod filter and tune? - i couldnt' give you an accurate figure, my guess would be 200 with an engine management? Perhaps some of the other guys can help us here.

Turbo timer - yep good idea, they are inexpensive, second hand you can get one for like $60. Installation is easy but if you cant do it an autoelec can in about 2 mins.

Boost guage - yep its a good idea to see how much boost the car is running, even if you are using an electronic boost controller. If you get a turbo smart boost tee or dual stage you will need one initially just to set the boost setting. guages you can get for $100 off the forum, piss easy to install.

I'm only a rookie with this stuff - perhaps some of our more knowledgeable forum users can verify some of these points?

Hi Adam,

this is the first post i've seen people saying they want to build a spaceship on a budget. heh.

250rwkw on an RB20 on a budget i would shy away from that figure. Talking stock RB20 engines, that sh1t is not happening, and if it does, it wont last for long.

200rwkw is acheivable and can be made with reliability.

You will need to look at the following:

- Full Exhaust system from turbo back, with minimal restriction and 3" in size or larger.

- Injector upgrade (GTR injectors will go into an rb20)

- Fuel Pump upgrade (Dont fcuk around with fuel delivery, when you have a powerful car you need a lot of fuel being pumped in, and in a reliable fashion, so turf the stock pump asap. If you want to boost your car, i would be putting a fuel pump in before i raise boost levels)

- Turbo upgrade (something with steel wheels - ceramic sucks, look at hybrid combinations or something that is rated to 300hp)

- Replacement ECU (look at PowerFC, Motec, Link... cheaper alternative is getting Apexi piggy backs)

- Front Mount Intercooler (get something thats proven and flows well, like any Skyline GTR FMIC, or ARC cooler, TRUST etc, do not go near cut down truck cores that look like a fridge, as thin as a4 paper and are as long and high as your front bar)

- Boost Controller

- Heavy Duty Clutch

- Cold Air Intake (can be done yourself, just dont be a butcher)

- Pod Filter with Heat Shield

- Remove your aircon

- Run a thermo fan

These things will help you achieve the 200rwkw mark.

Ofcourse the figures will change from dyno to dyno... there are sh1tloads of what i call "Disney Dynos" out there that pump out these stupid power figures and insane torque figures from relatively stock cars, its just a guide really... those upgrades will enable you to pump most cars on the road and torch the tyres in 2nd gear, and i think thats all you want to acheieve =)

Power and Cheap do not really go hand in hand. My experience is, pay the correct cost to get things done properly. This in turn means less maintenance in the future. Maintenance is the killer on performance cars which is why i think that the 'cheap' word cannot come into the equation.

Changes = Problems = Cash

=)

Good Luck

Wow... awesome responses :thumbsup: Cheers guys!

I pretty much figured all this would cost. I just figure its more about the most cost EFFECTIVE way of achieving what I want rather than the least cost. And you guys seemed to have hit the nail on the head :)

I pretty much knew 250rwkw may have been dreamland but this is all research and helps me figure out where I should be going with all this! So thanks anyway :(

I'm going away to Queensland in a couple of days so a two week break and then its time to hit the car with the first round of mods :)

One final question - when looking at the suggestions for achieving the 200odd kw mark things do obviously start building up in price (a rough guess would look at $5000 tuned or so). Would it be smarter to pay a bit extra and rid myself of the RB20 altogether? Prehaps do a RB25DET or RB26DETT swap? What sort of monetary figures would I be looking at for something like that?

Thanks again,

Adam