SAU Community

Faulty Injector!? HELP HELP HELP

cobo_11

Hi All,

Its a long long story that cost me a lot of money to get "fixed" in Melbourne, but I'll cut it short to the important stuff.

My car has been running on 5 cylinders, first I thought is was the injector plugs because I could move the plugs around while still connected to the injectors when the car was running and it would cause them to run weird (this happend to about 3 or 4 of the plugs)....so replaced the plugs, tested with multimeter and all check out fine.....

Start the car up and still not running on all 6.....move the plugs around again and no problems....no running wierd or anything like that.....but still only 5 cylinders....so I take, 1 by 1, the plugs off each injector and find that number 3 when I remove plug does not change engine firing or whatever....so I think, ok must be coil pack.....so buy a set of coils and replace all my carbon connectors with the new sets and clean 'em up and etc and put back together.....

Start the car up again.....and still not all 6 cylinders are going.....remove injector plug on cyl. 3 and still makes no difference....remove plug on cyl. 1 and runs even more like a bag of shite.

So would it be logical to assume that the injector on cyl. 3 is faulty or clogged up? and needs one of those sonic cleans or whatever they are called?

If its not that injector I have no idea....I have replaced all of that I THOUGHT the problem was.....

I need to fix this ASAP!

Any help much appreciated!!!!

Thanks to all,

Corey.

PS: The engine is an RB20DET in an R32 GTS4

Have you checked your plugs no:3 could have a build up on it? Is no:3 getting spark??

You could try blocking the return line on your fuel system clamp gentle with long nose this will build up the pressure in the fuel system and if its a blockled injector it should put enough pressure behide to get some fuel through if that it get them all cleaned

Have you done a compression test ? Might be a wise thing to do as could be a hole in you'r piston. - usally number 6.  

Is the car doing anything unusual like chewing lots of oil, blowing un-normal amounts of smoke, miss fire's etc ?

:)

Jun

Yeah I had a compression test done last year, and havn't driven it much since then....test results were "very good" according to the guy.....I think an average of 170 or so per cylinder from memory.....havne't looked at the paper for ages......

It initially started off ages ago as a sort of misfire.....run on all 6 then 5 or so and run crap then all 6 would go again for days or whatever....then a cylinder would stop going and run crap.....just like that but for different periods of time.....sometimes on/off on/off.......then I had it "fixed" like I mentioned but since a couple of months after getting it "fixed" (march 2004(been overseas)) it started doing it again and now its not going on all 6 at all anymore....:-(

Swap the ignitor for a know good one, it's the most likely culprit, particularly if it's always the same cylinder thats stuffed.

Problem is I live in South Gippsland and no friends have skylines..... and no readily availble wreckers carry this stuff aorund here.....:-(

And I am also temp. living away from home, so even harder to get to somewhere to buy a ignitor if thats the problem....

Have you checked your plugs no:3 could have a build up on it? Is no:3 getting spark??

You could try blocking the return line on your fuel system clamp gentle with long nose this will build up the pressure in the fuel system and if its a blockled injector it should put enough pressure behide to get some fuel through if that it get them all cleaned

I haven't actually checked the spark plugs...mainly because I could not find the socket for it when I had the coil packs out......would build-up completely stop the plug from firiing?

Could doing that fuel pressure thing had any bad outcomes....like blowing seals or anything?

I haven't actually checked the spark plugs...mainly because I could not find the socket for it when I had the coil packs out......would build-up completely stop the plug from firiing?

Could doing that fuel pressure thing had any bad outcomes....like blowing seals or anything?

To help you eliminate the process, Go by a cheep set of NGK copper plugs and replace all your Spark plugs, not just one.

So then you are only down to, either coils, which you said you tested, or injectors.

When you pull out the spark plugs see if they are all the same colour or if one (cylinder number 3 perhaps) differs from the rest?

See how you go.

Check the spark plugs first. You should usually do that before checking any other things like coils or injectors.

Do you know when was the last time they were checked/changed?

Sorry to hijack but, where can you get the compression test done? How long does it take and aprox. how much does it cost?

I just wanna satisfy my curiosity and get mine tested.

Thanx.

Check the spark plugs first. You should usually do that before checking any other things like coils or injectors.

Do you know when was the last time they were checked/changed?

Sorry to hijack but, where can you get the compression test done? How long does it take and aprox. how much does it cost?

I just wanna satisfy my curiosity and get mine tested.

Thanx.

Compression test = take out plugs and buy tester from SuperCheap for about $20/30 or vice versa. My RB20DET GTS4 = 118PSI Avg all cyls - UH-OH No.6 80PSI!!

Head off -gasket stuffed -replaced with S/Shim Grex - head modded -new valve 3angle job- testing soon.

I have my injectors out at the moment so I could post you 1 to test, but if its the plug or cable you should be able to figure out by swapping known good one to #3 position.

The plugs were all replaced when I had the comp. test done.....because I initially took the car to get this problem fixed.....had the timing belt changed too.

They replaced the plugs because I had used octane booster which fouled the plugs and they said best if they were replaced (NGK Iridiums). Have not used since tho, and car only done about 1000km since this work done....if that.

I will buy some of those cheap NGK coppers and replace them all and see what happens then........fingers crossed!

How can I also check if the plugs are getting power? Can I pull one out at a time, leave it in the coil pack and turn the car over and see if it sparks like you can do on old cars? If not, how can I test if the power is getting all the way to the end of the plugs? (If you know what I mean.....)

Thanks for all the replies guys! and keep 'em comming! :-)

Corey.

I have my injectors out at the moment so I could post you 1 to test, but if its the plug or cable you should be able to figure out by swapping known good one to #3 position.

If you are serious about letting me borrow an injector I will take you up on your offer.....but I will do what I said in previous post and buy new coppers to test sparkies first then move onto injectors....:-)

Cheers Greg

Corey.

If you are serious about letting me borrow an injector I will take you up on your offer.....but I will do what I said in previous post and buy new coppers to test sparkies first then move onto injectors....:-)

Cheers Greg

Corey.

AS all this started by you not driving the car for some time and finding wiggling the Injector plugs made a difference, I suspect the problem is there.

I know for a fact that Injectors can jam up if not used for some time because thats exactly the problem I have just experienced with my GTS4!!

By all means change the ignition plugs BUT please do this - get a long metal screwdriver and hold the end on the injector body while sticking your ear onto the other end of the screwdriver. You will hear the difference in clicking of the injector solenoids and if the #3 is different or no clicking, just gently tap the body of the injector with the screwdriver and maybe it will come good

-Some of mine did when I tried this.

Actually I tapped some dents into some of them cause I was angry they were not working properly at first. :) A few come good but a few had to be removed and sonic cleaned and flushed to work even though they looked a bit dented and secondhand :Oops: .

If no luck change your injector from #3 to another good working cylinder - probably #1 and see what happens.

I dont really want to send an injector unless I have to, and you have tried the above first. Lets know how it goes.

Greg.