SAU Community

How do you clean lifters? (and test which are stuffed)

NewKleer

Ive had a bit of noise my engine (rb25det), and as ive had permanent lifter noise previously, on the offchance that this noise is a badly stuffed lifter, im taking them all out and cleaning them. The specific noise i had ive recorded here

But im not quite sure on a foolproof way of testing which are stuffed, and how to clean them. Ive read the guide to cleaning/testing lifters on a lancer, but they are quite different to the rb25 lifters.

Does anyone have more information on how to test them and/or how to clean them?

Do you how many kms are on the motor? have you left the oil cooler on its mount or put on a relocation kit? the lifters can be checked and re-built by a engine recondition place if they cant they should know of someone because thats were they would be getting there lifters from when they do a motor!

kms are supposedly under 100k but with any import motor theres no way to be sure. engine is stock so no oil cooler/mods. as im not sure where the noise is coming from i dont want to spend 24 x 30-60$ on new lifters when they might not be the cause of the louder noise.

Well from the sound file its the lifters for sure have you done an oil change with fresh oil because it sounds like there not pumping up and been an import it may have been run with low oil and its effected the lifters i would pay to have them tested to see if they pump up and can hold pressure

tool the lifters out a few days ago, been in oil since. today my brother flushed them a bit with petrol, then left them in oil till i got back, and he said he thought 2 of the lifters on the second piston from front (no 2?), both exhaust side, were squashy, and i confirmed that this arvo

so with any luck the engine noise is from those two lifters (and both being rooted is consistant with the noise that seems to be only once per revolution of engine (and therefore cant be lifters on two different cylinders, or different sides of engine (that are equally as stuffed)

anyone know where to buy new lifters? nissan or do they cost too much? (theyre supposed to be 40$?)

tool the lifters out a few days ago, been in oil since. today my brother flushed them a bit with petrol, then left them in oil till i got back, and he said he thought 2 of the lifters on the second piston from front (no 2?), both exhaust side, were squashy, and i confirmed that this arvo

so with any luck the engine noise is from those two lifters (and both being rooted is consistant with the noise that seems to be only once per revolution of engine (and therefore cant be lifters on two different cylinders, or different sides of engine (that are equally as stuffed)

anyone know where to buy new lifters? nissan or do they cost too much? (theyre supposed to be 40$?)

find somebody in the FS section selling a halfcut or dismanlting an engine and get a couple of second-hand ones...