SAU Community

average annual depreciation costs for Skyline R33 series 2?

hi everyone,

i'm just doing a bit of research for my Dad. we've never owned a Skyline before (or any decent car before) but hopefully that will change if i can convince him a Skyline is worth it...

one thing that he wants to know is the depriciation on a Skyline. i've searched the 'net and couldn't find much info on this... so i supposed this would be a good place to ask. :rofl:

so could anyone tell me either:

• depreciation cost (cents/Km)

• average yearly depreciation

i know this could range quite a bit depending on whether the car is modified etc. but the car i'm interested in is the Skyline R33 GTS series 2 (1996) with no major mods (maybe only aftermarket wheels and exhaust. and of course that's the non-turbo version).

i know this is probably alot to ask, but with so many people here 'in the know' hopefully someone can help me out with an estimate. :)

while i'm asking questions, since i've got no experience with imported cars... i'm wondering what's the best way to go about buying a R33 GTS? should i just go through a dealer? keep my eye out for a good private sale? or how about going through an import broker? then i'd have to get the car complianced etc. how much would compliancing generally cost?

thanks for any help with these questions. as you can tell, this is all new for me, so any help would be much appreciated. :D

Well I can provide my experienced, 97 series 2 gtst purchased in 2000 for $44k. Sold in 2004 for $22k, so 50% after 4 years. Not modified. Competitive with a new car (most leases are 3 year 50% or 5 year 20%)

Personally I would not buy a n/a skyline, I believe the resale will be *much* worse than the turbo version due to the limited market of people looking for them......

Just wait until you can afford or afford to insure the turbo version

thanks for your help Duncan. :P

an interesting thought about the n/a Skylines as well... i have seen alot more GTS-T's and GT-R's for sale.

well... maybe it will be best to hold off on a purchase until a turbo version can be had. :)

could you also help me out with another question - how did you purchase your car? from a dealer? private sale, or through an import broker? i would still like to find out what everyone recommends... and how much compliancing etc would cost.

thanks. :(

Duncan, man u paied 44gradn for the 97 gtst :| damn thts alot. but hte prob cos it was 4 yes ago. i got mine last nov for 23. i think for around 44 i couldve got the r33 gtr

Duh in 2000, the 1997 car is only 3 years old.

Hey if you wait another 10 years you'll be able to pick up an R34 GTR for only $20K.

The people paying $75K now for an R34 GTR are getting ripped! (NOT)

Personally I would not buy from an import dealer. Pay more $ for the same car.

Preference would be to look locally so u can get it inspected. Currently I'm looking

for a R33 series 2 GTS25t sedan, not many of these in Aus (for sale at least) so I

will have to be going thru an import broker. Plenty of series 2 GTS25t coupes for sale locally.

Resale. I got my 95 GTS25t coupe on the road for $17,800 and spent $1200 on

mods over the course of 1 year. I sold it for $19k therefore lost no $ in one year, it was a straight,

clean car though.

I sold that late last year. I think the import market has changed though to an extent. Larger

numbers of imported cars in Aus has reduced their value in general.

There are no firm published figures on imports from anybody, which makes things different.

They don't really follow the standard trends of other vehicles, which is why it's so difficult.

A non-turbo will sell, as there is a market for it - those that want the advanced features of a mid-90's skyline that costs no more than that for any locally sold model.. A series2 non-turbo however could be asking for trouble.. especially if you are asking up towards $20k..

I know most would think "well i can get a very well modified Series1 for $18k, why spend $20k for non-turbo, even if it is series2). I think you'd probably get burnt at resale.

Depends what you are after, if its a tax right-off, then go for it :(

Duncan, man u paied 44gradn for the 97 gtst :| damn thts alot. but hte prob cos it was 4 yes ago. i got mine last nov for 23. i think for around 44 i couldve got the r33 gtr

yeah you are right it was at the high end of the market at the time, they were selling at 38-45ish. It was straight, in top condition and with 44000 genuine klm though ;)

Very few gtsts you could say that about these days.

Remember, brand new these cars are worth 60-70k. Your average aussie car depreciates 50% in their first 3 years and 80% in 5 years. So your 30k commodore from 1999 is worth only 6,000 now :D

Thats just how cars are....most people don't want to do the numbers because it hurts :(

This site says they were worth about $36,000 AUD Brand New?  

http://www.computeroutpost.com.au/imports/...spec.asp?id=579

283.8 ten thousand Yen = 2,838,000 Yen? / 79 (Yen to AUD exchange rate)???

Maybe I've screwed my calcs or the site is wrong, guess the exchange  

would have been dif 4 years ago also.

Yes that was the price in 1996 in japan , add to that any options fitted , like abs sunroof and whatever + 5 % consumption tax in Japan then add rego costs .

If you were to bring the car to australia you would -5% jap tax , add 15 % import duty + shipping to australia + 10 5 gst , then the price would be somewhere in the $50 - 60 k i would think .

1996 gtr series 2 was under 5 mil jpy , thats only around $63000 aud , if that was the selling price in aus in 1996 Nissan could sell as many as they could make !!!