SAU Community

Modifying a CA18i Engine

Specs:

Engine model: ca18i

Displacement: 1800cc

Estimated output: 91hp (very depressing, almost suicidal for a skyline owner)

Additional: Twin spark technology, carb

I was wondering if anyone has done any serious modification on these engines (or than take it out and get a bigger engine ).

I would like to do some work on my engine and see what kind of performance I could get out of it.

By the way does anyone know why Nissan used two spark plugs per cylinder and what benefit this would have on the performance of the engine?

Attached is a pic of the engine bay when I first got the car.

one of my mates just swapped an RB30E into his RB20E R32 today ;)

But looking at that setup, I'd say it'd be so much easier to put an SR20DET into your car than any other skyline.

I have a 4AC engine in my AE86 (4 cyl 1.6L carby) almost the same as your engine. I WAS considering putting webers on it and doin something with it, but then decided to do an engine swap.

one of my mates just swapped an RB30E into his RB20E R32 today ;)

But looking at that setup, I'd say it'd be so much easier to put an SR20DET into your car than any other skyline.

I have a 4AC engine in my AE86 (4 cyl 1.6L carby) almost the same as your engine. I WAS considering putting webers on it and doin something with it, but then decided to do an engine swap.

I was hoping there would have been something possible for this engine. Oh well, engine swap in the future.

Of the 2.0L engines (rb20det, sr20det) which would be the best upgrade? Considering economics (maintenance, parts availability), structural changes, and installation time.

Is the CA18"i" same as the silvia ones? I cant imagine why not. Try checking out http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/

Having said that, it comes down to what kinda power figures are you after when

you say serious modification?

For track? Drag? or just tough street car?

How far your willing to go? Spend? Work? etc...

If you wanna go hard, then I agree with Funky on the SR20DET, or maybe RB20DET if you want to keep it in the skyline family.

How much room do you have in the bay? Is it the same as an RB skyline? There

are RB25DE R32s going around.

Eug

Personally I'd go CA18DET. Bit older and perhaps not quite as much potential as the SR20DET, but a lot cheaper and should slot right in very easily, fitting to your standard engine mounts, transmission, etc. Can you get parts easily from the Bamboo in Trinidad? I'm sure someone there would have a CA18DET 180SX or Silvia front cut.

By the way I am almost certain the CA18i is throttle body fuel injected, not carburetted. Feel free to correct me if I am mistaken. This would make the CA18DET swap even easier as you would not have to change your fuel system (aside from possibly fitting a higher-capacity fuel pump - but it might be the same pump as any other R32 in which case you wouldn't need to).

By the way does anyone know why Nissan used two spark plugs per cylinder and what benefit this would have on the performance of the engine?

It has to do with the combustion chamber shape, with a two-valve engine it's a bit tricky to get a spark plug right in the centre of the combustion chamber, so putting one plug on either side of the chamber gives you more complete combustion.

How much room do you have in the bay? Is it the same as an RB skyline?

Eug

It has the engine bay of the R32 skylines. Only thing lacking is the size of the engine. I can put my hand and touch the ground and still have space to push my head next to my hand.

I also think you are right about the throttle body. Did some research and Nissan uses a NISSAN Ei electronic gasoline injection system. Which I guess is a long phrase for throttle body.

-------------------------------------

I should be able to get parts from Bamboo. Plan to take a trip soon to Trinidad and do some scouting. Sent sister down to get clutch and some other parts. The men seem intimidated by a woman, didn't want to sell her the parts. So time for me to go shopping.

Thanks for the info guys. Will keep you updated with the project.

In the meanwhile, is there nothing that can be done with the ca18i. Other than propping up my bed?

Personally I'd go CA18DET.  Bit older and perhaps not quite as much potential as the SR20DET, but a lot cheaper and should slot right in very easily, fitting to your standard engine mounts, transmission, etc.  Can you get parts easily from the Bamboo in Trinidad?  I'm sure someone there would have a CA18DET 180SX or Silvia front cut.

By the way I am almost certain the CA18i is throttle body fuel injected, not carburetted.  Feel free to correct me if I am mistaken.  This would make the CA18DET swap even easier as you would not have to change your fuel system (aside from possibly fitting a higher-capacity fuel pump - but it might be the same pump as any other R32 in which case you wouldn't need to).

It has to do with the combustion chamber shape, with a two-valve engine it's a bit tricky to get a spark plug right in the centre of the combustion chamber, so putting one plug on either side of the chamber gives you more complete combustion.

the CA18DET and CA18i are significantly (read totally) different engines with different mounts, looms, lack of ECU for the CA18i, etc.

You're cheapest option would be to go for webers and to tune the carburetter engine (should be less than a grand for a nice oldschool carby tune with individual throttle bodied webers.

If you are going for an engine swap, go for an SR20DET because from your point of view, swapping a CA and and SR or any other engine is gonna be exactly the same process. I wouldn't put an RB20 or a RB25 as this car is easiest to swap to a 4cylinder turbo powerhouse.

If you want an engine that is easy to swap in and relatively cheap, get an FJ20ET (DOHC), they sell for about AUD$500, parts are dirt cheap over here and in japan, they are basically the old Iron block version of the SR20DET, have heeeaps of torque and can be tuned to achieve up to 650ps (or hp).

Ladies and Gentlemen, back by popular demand. I have struck GOLD.

Thanks to some insite from Straight Six, I went and banged my head under the dashboard, got a huge egg to show for my efforts. All the same I struk gold. Looming in the shadows of the passenger kick guard was my shiny NISSAN ECU. YES, you read correct, the ca18i has an ECU. Throttle body, fuel injected beast it is.

Now more questions. Does anyone know if the ca18det or sr20det head would work on this engine? Since is has such a nice compression ratio of 8.8:1 , it is possible to run high boost application on engine.

I am so happy right now, running around in my boxers. My neighbours are going to call the coppers for me. But I don' care. Give me blood Igor, it's ALIVE.

My bad, the CA18i does have an ECU...

I forgot that I had the engine manual for it lol.

ca18i_ECU_pinout.gif

Terminals and their use

1 ECU serial port (RX)

2 ECU serial port (TX)

3 Throttle sensor signal 1

4 NC

5 Water temperature sensor

6 O2 Sensor

7 Throttle sensor signal 2

8 GND (throttle position and water temperature)

9 Crank angle sensor (180-degree signal)

10 Crank angle sensor (1-degree signal)

11 ECU serial port (CLK)

12 Check (for self-diagnostic)

13 Monitor & check lamp

14 NC

15 NC

16 Engine RPM signal for tachometers

17 Throttle opening output for AT controller

18 GND (ground for sensors)

19 Crank angle sensor (180-degree signal)

20 Crank angle sensor (1-degree signal)

21 Speed sensor

22 NC

23 Key switch (START)

24 Neutral switch / inhibitor switch

25 Key switch (IGN)

26 Throttle sensor power source

27 Control unit power source

28 GND (ground for control unit)

29 Air-conditioner switch

30 Intake temmperature sensor

31 Power Steering switch

32 NC

33 NC

34 Backup power source

35 Control unit power source

36 GND (ground for control unit)

37 Ignition signal (intake side)

38 Ignition signal (exhaust side)

39 Primary ignition signal

40 ECCS relay

41 Injector injection pulse monitor

42 GND (ignition signal system ground)

43 Light switch

44 NC

45 Heater fan switch

46 Rear demister switch

47 NC

48 GND (ignition signal system ground)

101 Injector

102 Air-conditioner relay

103 FICD Solenoid

104 Fuel pump relay

105 NC

106 PTC heater relay

107 Ground for Injector

108 Ground for Injector

109 NC

110 Injector

111 Idle rotation compensation solenoid

112 NC

113 NC

114 NC

115 Lock-up cancellation solenoid (only AT)

116 Ground for injector

One of my mates has a Bluebird which came with a CA20 twinspark, which I assume is 0.2L more than the CA18 twinspark (your engine), and he was talking to me about putting a CA18DET head on it, and said many bluebird owners did it. Which means it can't be that hard to get done. So logic would say a CA18i would be similar.

Although I'd say it'd be cheaper for a full engine replacement than a custom built carby conversion which isn't gonna see you with much more power. I mean a CA can be sanely pushed up to 250rwkw.

as for the CA18DET swap, the costs for my AE86 are as follows:

CA18DET + transmission - $1000

loom + ECU - $150

CA16DE cam gears and shaft - $200

Also you gotta remember that a GXi has drum brakes on the rear and different suspension etc. Even if you made it more powerful, you have to upgrade everything else to support it. If you have a manual GXi then you're in luck, because the CA18DET and CA18i transmission's are compatible.

Thanks alot for the pinouts funkymonkey. Muchly appreciated.

So what about my question? "Can the ca18det head work on the ca18i block?"

That is my million dollar question.

Dont even bother wasting your money on your CA18i R32.

Throw the motor in the bin , or swap it for a slab of beer and start your project with an SR20 conversion.

Simple.

if you didn't notice he's in barbados... dare I say an SR20DET or most other engines would be a lil hard to get and a lil more expensive than here.

Correct. Skylines are very RARE cars in Barbados. You can count them on your fingers and toes.

I do have a manual transmission. YEAH for me. It would be easier to get the head from the ca18det and the necessary intake manifold, fuel rail, etc. Please remember the ca18i is not a carb, that was a mistake on my part. It is a throttle body fuel injected gas guzzler :P.

I got the service manual for the s13 silvia and realise that the s13 carry the same engine and gearbox as the gxi r32. That gives me something to work with. The gearbox is the gts gearbox (FS5W71C).

Thanks for the pic..

Any chance of large multi angled pics??

The CA18i R32 being so rare I'm saving the pics. :rofl:

On the note of engine conversions I would probably lean towards importing a red SR20DET. They are fairly cheapish and on par with the rb20det but with slightly better street manners.

• 11 years later...