SAU Community

Decent alarm system

Dragzz

Actually Dragzz, if you install the system yourself $350 is more than enough money for a 3point immobiliser, alarm and keyless entry. take a look at some of the recent articles on Autospeed.com about alarms on a budget.

The plastic thing on your keyring wont look as pretty as a $600 one but it will do the same job and cost you less.

Also, I've been reading those autospeed articles on the alarms and I fail to see what the difference is between like $1000 alarms and the $150 jaycar jobbies.

Can anyone enlighten me please?

Let's see the $1000 alarms would have:

Immobiliser 3points +

Alarm

Tilt sensor

Bonnet/boot sensor

Black wiring

Keyless entry

---

Maybe GPS & Keypad

$150 jaycar jobbies:

Alarm

Immobiliser 2 points (?)

$1200 Fitted and you can get the best protection , a tracker .

Who cares how many points you have they can easily be bypassed by experts , at least with the tracker you can immobilise the car as soon as the move it and you know where it is at all times , unless underground .

• 1 month later...

Extra features available int he alarm, software programming and more inputs with different polarities is generally the difference between the cheaper adn the more expensive alarms, I am more inclined to pick up a more expensive alarm than a cheaper one as I generally use the extra options and features..

I also fit the alarms myself, I used to a lot of car installs for work, so alarms are a walk in the park for me.

Do you have any recommendations then yorik?

I'd like to have -

remote central

3 point immobiliser

extra inputs for tilt/boot/bonnet

siren output (not just horn)

black wiring

good code hopping

It'd be a bonus if it had auto arming, have silent arm/disarm and be able to lock the doors even when the engine was on (for warming the car up).

Cheers.

for $300 you won;t get that stuff, but for 410 you will come damn close, buy a few extra accessories and you got it, check teh group buy section... Not Blakc Wiring though...

Hi Guys,

I need to find out what is a pretty good alarm system (upto about $350).

It is a must because of insurance.

Do you guys have any reccomendations??

Dragzz :headspin:

If your insurance company requires you to have an alarm installed, it is very important for you to get them to tell you which alarms are suitable.

Thanks chunners.

Funny enough I saw the "BW10000" on ebay also http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...ssPageName=WDVW

$170 is better than $250.

One thing did strike me as odd that the blackwidow webpage (www.blackwidow.com.au) doesn't list how many immobilisers it has.

I might end up just paying the guy who did my flatmates r32 the $400 he's askin to do the lot with the whizz bang system he reckons is best.

I'll think about it then and update the thread with my thoughts if I have any feedback worth giving :)

Cheers.

autowatch, brant, viper and mongoose are the only alarms that i'd ever have in my car. i had a warlock before and it was shit.

reliability, features, compliance to au/nz standards and actually PROTECTION from thieves are there in spades with the right alarm. a $100 jaycar job is a walk in the park to get around. i watched a guy do it at a place i used to work at and it was just too easy for him! (hifi store).

but as they say, an alarm is only as good as its installer. a stratties job may very well be fine, but they install it with hotmelt and wishful thinking, your better off leaving the keys in the ignition.

d