SAU Community

Automatic Transmission Shift Kit. - Updated Oct 2006

4door_Sleeper

Great news tikki169.

Have fun giving those manuals a run, I now find that in a street drag (on private roads of course) that even if we pull off at the same time and at the same rate, the gear changes will be where I pull ahead.

I have to agree, bang for buck it makes a great difference to the drive.

Put mine in myself the other day also,

will post some pictures etc in the next few days when i get the camera and computer together :rofl:

fairly big difference, feels a little more responsive everywhere but gearchanges are where its definately heaps better. gearchange times have been cut in half if not more.

i got about 5.5L out from draining and replaced with transmax z,

Auto is running great now

OK, the Valve Body is in and I'm very impressed.

The gear changes are much quicker. It takes aprox. three times less to change gears than before.

The ride quality hasn't changed much. The only difference is from first to second, it's not as smooth as before, even with light throtle, but with full throtle it chirps easy.

I'm very happy with the result and I highly recommended.

Great stuff nedb

Spread the work and remember to return those old valve bodies so that others can get their kit posted out.

I'm glad the rest of you are as pleased as I was with this kit. I was initially worried about recommending the kit (I dont usually recomend anything unless I am sure) for fear that others wouldnt think it was as good as I did. I think bang for buck it is probably up there with a new turbo, it makes a huge difference.

Why I think there could be a difference in power is, it feels like there is more torque now and there's possibly less power loss through the gearbox.

It could be one of those placebo effects but i'm happy. :cheers:

But again some other facts in my case: my gearbox has done more than 150 000 and it has just been refreshed with some RedLine stuff. So the new valve body and the fancy fluid has definitively made my car feel different.

I pulled my valvebody out on the weekend and sent it to Mike yesterday. There are sooo many bolts in there its scary. There are about 6 different kinds of bolts too. They are different lengths.

I was really worried so first I drew a diagram with the bolt numbers. Then when I took the bolts out I laid them carefully in the right order and placement. I also took lots of photos.

The problem is that you don't need to take them all out but it's really hard to tell which ones you don't have to take out. I ended up with about 38 bolts out (not including the 30 from the pan) but Mike said I only need to take take out about 7.

The other problem is that the bloody thing never stops dripping transmission fluid all over you so it's really hard to peer up into it and see what's going on without getting fluid in your eye.

Also, I think he underestimated in that some of the wires and and sensors that unplug from the valvebody are bolted in. So you don't need to unbolt these bolts because they hold the valvebody up but if you don't then the thing will be hanging by its wires when you unbolt it all.

After all this stuffing around on the weekend, I spoke to Mike yesterday and he said not to worry about where the bolts all go, just rip em all out because he will put it together properly so when you get it back it will be obvious which bolt goes where. So I am now sending all the bolts down to him.

If you are doing it yourself it might help you to know the following:

There is a black roughly oblong shaped pan thing bolted to the bottom of the valvebody. This is the filter. Unbolt it completely and get Mike to put a new one on. This is general maintenance that you should be doing anyway.

None of the bolts that are covered by the filter require removing.

I suggest you go around the outside of the valvebody taking those bolts off then crack ALL of the rest of the bolts. This enables you to wiggle the whole valvebody around and then you can see which ones are holding the thing up.

Hope this helps. It was a totally new experience for me.

ps have fun playing in the transmission fluid. You will get it everywhere.

• Like 1

Yeah I know what you mean about the dripping. We're lucky cause I had the new VB with me I just matched up which ones were out the VB and removed them from the VB still attached. Just make sure you see which cprings go where because only one is goingh to go back in. Otherwise not a bad job at all. O and having ramps helps a ton.