SAU Community

Turbo's For All

The Dan

ok, it turns out that my 450hp BB turbo does not just bolt straight on....hmmm. Not a problem...I can still fit it to the standard manifold with an adaptor. All I gotta do is get a braided oil supply line made up and change the exhaust flange and make up something for the 8 CM intake mouth on the turbo (holy crappo) anyway. I'll let you all know how it goes and how much it costs. Apparently none of the BB turbos come out with a T3 flange except in the GT30R's and 35R's. oh well. Come to think of it...that piccy in my signature looks exactly the same as my new turbo. just imagine the mouth being 8cm accross.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i will answer questions for him as best i can:

As much HP for a tiny budget - doesn't have to be real crazy

Street use mainly

Boost aroun 2500-3k

Power Early in revs

blitz FMIC/3" exhaust, POD, boost controller

R33 series 1

Big BLITZ FMIC

Stock ECU/AFM setup

Custom dumps - 3" cat back

Main thing right now is he wants one that is almost exactly the same as stock 33 one - so just bolt on, attach current lines and away he drives..

No real budget right now - get me some prices on cheaper ones and expensive ones too - around the 1k mark

Not after massive power figures - just bigger than stock :P

Then your best option would be to hi-flow the standard one with a 360 degree thrust bearing. It is bigger than standard but looks stock. I was getting 210rwkw out of my RB20 hiflow with only a 270 degree thrust runing 16psi. The 25's are already larger so they do up quite nicely. That will cost you around the $1200-$1300 mark but I will confirm tomorrow.

To all: I do appologise if I take a while to reply or get prices but I am kinda tied up with fitting my turbo at the moment so excuse me if I don't get back to you the same day.

current prices are this so far for recent requests.

Garrett GTB30R - $1900 (600hp)

Garrett GTB35R - $1900 (700hp)

GT15/17 - $1200-$1300 (?)

Hiflow RB20 or 25 - $1200-$1300 (better discount on new turbos sorry) (approx 300hp)

Garrett GT2530 - I think around $1700 each but yet to confirm. HKS use Garrett cartridges so they are the same turbo as the HKS2530.

Pretty much anything you need in a brand new turbo is available for under $2000. Do your homework first before buying one as some mods are needed with some turbos. If you don't know what a turbo is and you ask nicely, I will do the homework for you. These prices are not fitted but are still $400-$500 cheaper than anywhere else. I am just making them more affordable. And before anyone asks....YES they are true Garrett turbos...YES they are brand new....and YES if they are fitted by a professional they still have all the normal warranties.

Sorry about not being able to get dirt cheap prices for Hi-flowing but it is mainly labour so the prices aren't that great. However, because I buy in bulk, new ones are dirt cheap.

Dan,

To echo the sentiments so far, nice work, when I want to upgrade I will come and see you most definitely...and when I finally get another rotor then we will talk some more...want an RX2...had an RX3...god I miss my rotor...

Cheers

Neill

Dan,

To echo the sentiments so far, nice work, when I want to upgrade I will come and see you most definitely...and when I finally get another rotor then we will talk some more...want an RX2...had an RX3...god I miss my rotor...

Cheers

Neill

Spoke to a guy today for you. He has a very perfect RX3 with a straight 12A mild extend. Is white and as I stated, very perfect. He is thinking of upgrading to something else with a 13BT so he is selling. He said a mate offered $10,000 but we all know how realistic that price is for a 1972ish car. I think you would be able to offer $8000. He could still get 10 I reckon as it is in very good nick. I know it's a 3 and you wanted a 2 but hey, I lookin for ya anyway.......whether you like it or not hehe.

Thanks Dan, I really want a 2...have seen 2 so far both in Adelaide FFS...

I loved the 3 but too many Sydney dickheads ruin them with big chrome and shit...maks me want to cry. And the other thing is the old man bought a 2 new, and then sold it when I was born..what a dickhead...

Looking at about $5-7 though, and happy with a 12A for the time being, as my cousin has a series 1 7 with a 13B just rebuilt he wants to off load in the next 6 months as he is going with the T!!!

Hey Dan,

I have a R33 gtst,

it has a 3 and a half inch from cat back and a 3 inch dump pipe.

It will be getting a FMIC very soon, and probably a Power FC.

got my ass handed to me at the drags last night so now I am looking into my options for MORE POWER!

It is a 90% street use

I would like the power at around 2500 ish (not too late)

not really looking for just high end power as I rarely use top end speed.

If you could recommend something I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

The GT/HKS 2530 would be good on a RB25. I have seen the Dyno sheet of a 2535 on a RB20 and it looked like a ski jump. The 2530 with the extra 500cc engine capacity would be very comfortable to live with.

But of course, I havent done it myself :P

Have been told that Just a High Flow should be good enough for what I want. But am more than keen to find out what you would recomend.

How much horsepower/kilowatts do you want? 250-280KW

What are you using the car for? Street/Daily Driver

When do you want boost roughly? 2200 will be fine

Do you want power early or late in the rev range? Good range of torque and power

What Mods you engine has or is going to have including computers or exhaust etc.?

(Currently on car)

RB31DET - Port and polished head - 3inch double dump turbo back exhaust - Excedy "sport tuff" Clutch - Turbosmart type 2 bov - pod filter - nismo thermostat

(Still on bedroom floor)

GTR FMIC - Power FC - Sard Trigger EBC - GTR Fuel pump - considering HKS exhaust cam gear & Z32 AFM

What car? R33 GTS-T

Intercooled? GTR Cooler

Still running AFM or upgraded or no longer there? STD AFM

Custom exhaust manifold or standard? STD

External wastegate or internal(limited to virtually 450hp)? Internal

Thanks mate

Hey Dan,

I have a R33 gtst,

it has a 3 and a half inch from cat back and a 3 inch dump pipe.

It will be getting a FMIC very soon, and probably a Power FC.

got my ass handed to me at the drags last night so now I am looking into my options for MORE POWER!

It is a 90% street use

I would like the power at around 2500 ish (not too late)

not really looking for just high end power as I rarely use top end speed.

If you could recommend something I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

The problem is getting a turbo that will just bolt straight on. Most people don't wanna be hassled with changing stuff around and adapting but I am gonna try it out.

If you want something bolt on, you will need journal bearing turbo which they make in the T3 flange. These will just bolt straight on, maybe a very very minor change to something but usually not.

If you want roller bearing then you have to adapt it to the T25 flange. This means you need to either get an adaptor plate made for the manifold and buy a T2 exhaust flange or get a custom manifold and buy a T2 exhaust flange. Really anything is possible and I hope I can show all you guys when I get the new turbo on before next weekend. If anyone is down at BWCP I will be hanging around. I wanted it going for this weekend but I had to get the plate manufactured and braided lines made up and all sorts of ill crap goin on. My final challenge will be to adapt the standard 3" pod filter into the 4" inlet mouth of the turbo.

For the above post....I would probably recommend the 350hp roller bearing version of mine as it's not too far over the top and will give you great response and a good torque/power split instead of just one or the other.

I can get you this for $1700 but it does require adapting. Is a good idea to put on before you get the dump made and stuff like that. It needs no adapting to the air pipe except a flange piece needs to be bolted on to the front for a hose fitting instead of the intake bolt on fitting. Cheap and easy. The only changes would be oil feed (braided line $70), water fittings (around $50 at a radiator shop), adapt to T25 flange for exhaust in and out. Sounds like a lot of stuffing around? well it is, but in the thirst for more of the grass feeders, you need to make some changes under the bonnet.

Have been told that Just a High Flow should be good enough for what I want. But am more than keen to find out what you would recomend.

How much horsepower/kilowatts do you want? 250-280KW

What are you using the car for? Street/Daily Driver

When do you want boost roughly? 2200 will be fine

Do you want power early or late in the rev range? Good range of torque and power

What Mods you engine has or is going to have including computers or exhaust etc.?

(Currently on car)

RB31DET - Port and polished head - 3inch double dump turbo back exhaust - Excedy "sport tuff" Clutch - Turbosmart type 2 bov - pod filter - nismo thermostat

(Still on bedroom floor)

GTR FMIC - Power FC - Sard Trigger EBC - GTR Fuel pump - considering HKS exhaust cam gear & Z32 AFM

What car? R33 GTS-T

Intercooled? GTR Cooler

Still running AFM or upgraded or no longer there? STD AFM

Custom exhaust manifold or standard? STD

External wastegate or internal(limited to virtually 450hp)? Internal

Thanks mate

A highflow will be good for power at that rev range but not that power level. Sure you can produce 250-280kw at the wheels with that turbo but it will be working above it's maximum and you will burn it out quickly. They don't tend to last very long when overboosted. You can highflow and use a 360 degree thrust bearing which will help make the bearings last longer and be more capable of handling higher boost levels. If you were to go with this option, I would definately be fitting an aftermarket oil cooler to aid in oil cooling so as to not cook the turbo bearings. Also extends turbo life.

for that kind of horsepower on that engine you would need the GT30 with 0.82 a/r rated at 475hp. It won't bolt straight up. Even if you hi-flowed his standard one it would not be able to cope with that output.

probably around 300 engine horsepower.

You can go for something like a T04 with a T3 exhaust flange.

You would need the V1/P Compresor/Turbine trim and 0.82 A/R which is rated to 300 kw approx.

The other recommended turbo for that output is the one I have which is rated to approx 450hp. It is the GT25 with 0.82 A/R. Mine is kinda a hybrid make up by Garrett and is only 0.7 A/R. That one needs quite a few mods to fit. Change oil supply line, water supply lines, flange to dump, adaptor to manifold, relocate AFM, 4" base K&N filter.