SAU Community

motorbikes..road...

ZXR may be illegal on L/P's ?

CBR is good but small as...I had a FZR250 it was the biggest sports 250 I could find and I LOVED it, I regreted selling it. Still do (4 years later)

If you can't ride already, try to get out on the dirt first, it will give you much better control and confidence.

It is very dangerous on the road...but IF you keep an eye out, and you can ride well, it's not much worse than being in a car.

I would NEVER let a friend learn to ride on the ride, I would make them learn on the dirt. And I am very strong about that, I would seriously find a way to stop them getting their license/bike....

RZ250 (you can easily put the 350 engine in) is a weapon. And I mean that. Not a good first bike. It's 80's style 2 stroke, but it flies. And it's learner legal (in NSW anyways)

anyone own one?

thinking of buying a zxr250 or a cbr250rr

opinions?

Just bought a ZX2R - 93 model

great bikes, bigger than a CBR250, they go well and are definately Learner Legal.

If you have been driving for a while and have no issues riding a push bike, then i would think it'll be pretty easy to learn to ride on the road, everyone does say learn on the dirt- if you do come off it wont be as bad, but if your confident and can learn quick then i dont see an issue.

i have had my l's for 2 weeks, and its all natural etc for me.

if your not confident don't go into traffic at first, not that i did that :)

I own an old 1983 Honda CB1100f so I'm a bit biased towards the Honda.

I know that won't help but when you go for a test ride find a bike that feels comfortable, too many people buy racer bikes and then find that they are not that comfy if you only ride around the cities.

Good luck

Gary

Every car owner should own or have owned a bike. :headspin:

I know that won't help but when you go for a test ride find a bike that feels comfortable, too many people buy racer bikes and then find that they are not that comfy if you only ride around the cities.

Good luck

Gary

Every car owner should own or have owned a bike.   :headspin:

thats a good point, if you ride along way and get back pain etc then something like a vtr250 would be better - more upright sitting position.

i do over 100km a day on the zxr, can get sore if wearing a back pack etc!

Good luck

Gary

Every car owner should own or have owned a bike.   :headspin:

thats a good point, if you ride along way and get back pain etc then something like a vtr250 would be better - more upright sitting position.

i do over 100km a day on the zxr, can get sore if wearing a back pack etc!

Personally I'd go the CBR250, but that's mainly because I know at least a bit about them (my brother had two before his current '03 R6) and I already own a Honda so I'm biased toward them too :) They're a little screamer too.

I rode my bike (929 Blade) 200km a day for about 6 weeks - it was comfy enough for a sports bike but I wouldn't want to go more than 200km at a time without a break, surprisingly, for me at least the right thumb is the worst bit, it goes dead from leaning on it and, being the throttle hand, you can't really rest it that much, especially with a touchy throttle.

Without knowing what you intend to do with it, it's pretty hard to recommend a particular bike or even type of bike.

LOL yeah . get that same issue with the right thumb

only thing thast out me off the cbr is how thin they are, the zxr are wider nin the tank and feel alot bigger!

Yeah I jump on a 250 and it feels like I can just about touch my knees together :) But you do get used to it, my bike has a fairly wide tank on it so getting on anything else I notice the difference, though before I bought my bike and rode around on the two fiddy, I'd jump on a 600 and think it was HUUUGE ;) You get used to pretty much anything over time.

I love my Kawasaki KR-1S's (I have 2 ;) )... 250cc 2 smoker, ~130kgs, 60HP... Not that good for bigger blokes though (like fatso Revhead :) )... I'm only ~65kgs so it suits me well... Extremely maneuvorable and plenty of speed, massive corner grip... Keeps up with much bigger bikes up to about 200 kph...

2 strokes are exxy to run though... You have to plan ahead for maintenance, etc...

If your after a sporty 250cc 4 stroke, you really can't go wrong with a CBR, ZX-2R, or FZR... Just sit on them all and see which one feels best...

Random image:

kr1s.jpg

Go the RGV250, i use to own one years ago and my wife owns now. They are a two stroke V-twin and they are machines, fast, agile and shape is still good and they held the lap record at phillip island till about 97' for a production bike an awesome feat and then again for a little bike. only get one if you don't mind the kick start. The only thing my wife hates about it.

I love my Kawasaki KR-1S's (I have 2 :) )...  250cc 2 smoker, ~130kgs, 60HP...  Not that good for bigger blokes though (like fatso Revhead :D )
Bastard :P Hehe I need the cubes, you should feel how hard the 250s have to work to get me moving at a respectable rate, the poor little things scream against my 105kg of solid muscle :(

Keeps up with much bigger bikes up to about 200 kph...
110km/h straight road rollons then? :P

yeah thinking about a zxr250

pretty confident about learnin straight on road, have done a bit of trail biking tho, not much but...

i live in country area, so its not as bad as riding around in the city.

I had a yamaha rd250 lc but replaced the pots with 350cc so cops couldnt tell the diff that was a real sceamer top speed well over 250ks speedo broke at that speed but i had the numb thumb with as well.

most two strokes ive owned gave me the numb thumb but only long distance if you want a good 250cc machine, go the two stroke cause 4 strokers suck at that capacity

id buy an NSR250....if your talking about going fast go 2stroke.... dont get an RGV the honda is a much better built bike....altho i have a RGV....but i fitted an RG500 engine :( (i wouldve done it to the honda but the rear shock mount makes it impossible....) the 4 stoke 250's are wayyy to slow

I started learning on the XR250 honda dirt bike, Rode it on the st and dirt..

Got sick of that after a while and me and a mate bought some CBR250RR's..

Excellent learners bike. Power is good and it revs to 20,000rpm! the import models do anyway,

If you want a CBR250 get an import model, they rev out a bit harder, have heavier drilled brakes and 5 more HP..

if he is going for ls/ps then the RGV and NSR are illegal....unless the rules changed?

The RGV and NSR is kinda like learning to drive in a 600HP skyline....fun...but not the safest option for learning on....

also, if u r traveling a long way, 2st will probably annoy you more than it's worth. And you gotta rebuild them..but it's cheap and easy

you can get a vfr400 which is still for some reason L ok. The cbr250's are slow as shit. My 2stroke trailbike whips them up to 80kph. If you want a good trail bike buy a wr250 exst , airbox, jetted and then can have some fun any where dirt or road.

• 2 weeks later...