SAU Community

100% noob and dont know where to start.

Hey,

Im new to the forums and new to cars in general.

My dad runs an import business and got me a cheap deal on a stock 92 Skyline R32 GTS-t (the 1 in the pic) which should land in AUS around the end of the year.

Im looking for a quick car that can out run moded rex's and 180's (which my mates have) but im not sure which is the best track to take.

I have a few options open:

1) do i keep the GTS-T (and mod that)

2) Save up another $8-10k sell it and buy a gtr

3) Sell it and buy a GTiR.

4) Somthing alse???

Hey,

Im new to the forums and new to cars in general.

My dad runs an import business and got me a cheap deal on a stock 92 Skyline R32 GTS-t (the 1 in the pic) which should land in AUS around the end of the year.

Im looking for a quick car that can out run moded rex's and 180's (which my mates have) but im not sure which is the best track to take.

I have a few options open:

1) do i keep the GTS-T (and mod that)

2) Save up another $8-10k sell it and buy a gtr

3) Sell it and buy a GTiR.

4) Somthing alse???

Honestly

if u r new to cars...best thing to go out there is to buy a rwd car under 5k and have some fun with it, perhaps crash it, perhaps learn to drive it properly.

Once there, pick up the gtst, or the gtir, then again, ur tastes may have changed once u learnt more abt cars in general.

Or u could just use the gtst as ur experimental mule and perhaps trash it, and most likely crash it, depending on how good your financial position is.

For 8 - 10k you can get a fair bit done on a stock gtst. But nothing beats the gtr :cheers:

Intercooler fitted - $1200

Power FC with tuning - $2100

Turbo back Exhaust - $1000

boost tee - $80

Nismo fuel pump - $380

Injectors - $1000

Cams - $1300

theirs probly more to go that i've missed, thats just over $7,000

GTiR's are very quick once slightly modified, i wouldn't underestimate these beat's.

learn to drive first and then go out an aquire a tase..............dont commit to something unless you've tried it. you might find a GTR is not your style of driving and you'd be better with a RWD. drive as many different cars as you can........but remember, GTR's and teenagers dont mix!

Well by the looks of it upgrading to a GTR seems the way but how do they compair to the GTiR's. I have been in 1 or them and boy do they fly!

The 1 thing i dont really like about the GTiR's tho is the looks. Not as sexy as the skylines IMO

Which car have you driven? The GTiR or GTR? If you have only been in a GTiR then you are in for a shock when you get in the Skyline. The GTiR is a good car, out of the box putting a WRX to waste, but the GTR is another step again.

What you have to decide is what sort of car you are after. What is your driving style? The Pulsar is a constant 4WD that is compact and is more suited against the WRX/EVO/Silvia group. They are goodfor the tighter twisty stuff. The GTR is a larger, heavier car that for the most handles like a RWD. It is usually competing against the Supra/HSV mob. The car isn't fantastic for tight stuff but let it loose on the open corners and straights and it won't be touched.

It also boils down to the style of car you like as well. Whether is be 2/4 door, saloon/coupe/hatch and engine size. I would suggest you spend some time thinking about what turns you on and watch some of these cars in action on some of the DVD's that are available.

Hope that helps.

I was in a GTiR sorry.

The cars i have been driving on my L's(vic) so far is a Porsche 928 S4 which pumps out about 250kw or 150kw per tone and a 300zx TT which is about 130kw per tone.

So im very used to driving 'big' cars so maybe the GTR would better suit me. Only time will tell i guess.

Thanks heaps for the advice tho.

Another question:

I have this wacked antena sticking out from the frount of my gts-t and i have no clue what it is for.

Heres some pics:

7e1d7e1e015rq.jpg

The switch to retract it:

8dec781edc7rh.jpg

Is this aftermarket because it seems to be fixed nicely into the bodywork and comes with a switch, but i havnt seen any other gts-t's with it...

i agree with pentae..

have u looked at insurance? GTR + 17yr old = lots of $$$ :cheers:

I plan to get the insurance under my dads name and me as a secondary driver. If not then im ***ed!

If i was to get a GTR it wouldnt be anytime soon as i would still have to save up another 8k anyway becuse i dont think ill get more then 12k for my stock gts-t.

insurance goes on the youngest driver anyway, so u will still get raped for insurance. stick with a gtst, they are heaps of fun. i want a gtr badly, but i want to be able to respect it. so ill stick with my gtst for now. your first car is a thrasher, a thing to get booked in, flog the crap out of it and blow shit up. your next car should be slightly better, u'll have more respect for it....im up to my 4th car now.

dont get a gtr until u've driven your gtst and got a feel for it, modded it and got used to the power... if you do some mods to it and it feels really quick and you enjoy it, then do just that. mods to a gtr cost nearly twice as much as the rb20, and anyone that tells you the rb20 doesnt go hard is wacking themselves. they can go just as hard as everything else.

you may find you dont like the skyline chassis or interior, or exterior fo that matter, you may not like the smoothness of the rb and would prefer a snappy sr20. just stick it out with ur gtst for a bit....when u get it that is.

cheers

Linton

That is a parking antenna to show you where the front of your car is when parking. It is a factory option. Stick with the GTST $5000-$8000 worth of exterior and engine mods will have it just the way you want it.

For a 17 year old I reckon the R32 GTS-t should be fine for you

Just be carefule and don't get ahead of yourself and wrap yourself around something (with the GTS-t or a GT-R)

17 year olds have no business being in gtr's or anything remotely as powerful. take your time learn to drive in something that is less lethal and in a few years get a gtr if you still feel the urge. Better that than fifteen seconds of fame (infamy?)on the six o'clock news.

I plan to get the insurance under my dads name and me as a secondary driver. If not then im ***ed!  

Well then ur f####d because you cant do that with imports, you should probably look into how much insurance is going to cost you before you get the car. If you have no rating (rating 6) you'll be looking at $3000 for a r32 gtst i'd say. Have a look at just cars website and do an online quote....

Get the gtst, you dont want to kill yourself, and the odds of that happening if you get the gtr are a lot higher than if ur driving a gtst.

insurance goes on the youngest driver anyway, so u will still get raped for insurance. stick with a gtst, they are heaps of fun. i want a gtr badly, but i want to be able to respect it. so ill stick with my gtst for now. your first car is a thrasher, a thing to get booked in, flog the crap out of it and blow shit up. your next car should be slightly better, u'll have more respect for it....im up to my 4th car now.

Linton

im on my 5th lol

id love a gtr but at the moment the gtst is keeping me happy

insurance wasnt cheap even for the gtst 3300 through just cars for 21yr old but that was with 0% No Claim Bonus

3rd party was only 550 so there is a huge difference if the insurance company has to pay your car out should you crash it.

throw a few thousand in on mods and youll have to tame it anyway should give lots of fun

yep - for age and driver experience, the GTS-T will keep you more than happy...

Get your foot in the door with imported insurance with a GTS-T, then see how you go insuring a GTR...

If the car is for road driving, IMO its not worth the extra cash a 17 YO has to fork out regarding the performance gain (and what you can legally use)