SAU Community

Licencing with vented cf bonnet in WA

SR32

As my car was manufactered before 1995 the pits will have no problem with it having a carbon fibre bonnet...

BUT i dont know whether or not they'll pick on the vent that is facing the windscreen. The vent is ontop of my vmount intercooler (before the engine) and its not really possible for fluids to pass through.

Does anyone know if they'll pass this? Should I block the vent up?

• 3 weeks later...

Actually sorry her32 thats incorrect - vents are allowed, but they cant have openings facing the windshield no matter where they are positioned so you'd need to block it up.

Here's the basic skinny from the DPI website:

No structural cosmetic change is allowed other than spoilers and bonnet scoops.  

1. The fitting of front and rear spoilers either of fibreglass or sheet metal is acceptable, provided it is not likely to increase the risk of bodily injury to a person.  

2. An air scoop fitted to the bonnet of a vehicle must not intrude into the line of sight. An air scoop must not have an unobstructed rearward facing opening (an incident such as the bursting of a radiator hose could result in the windscreen becoming completely obscured). The maximum air scoop protection should not exceed 60 mm

Thats the basics - but Ive also got the printed long version - which I almost wasnt gonna be bothered typing - but hey - got nothin else to do so here you go:

DEPARTMENT OF PLANNING AND INFRASTRUCTURE

VEHICLE SAFETY BRANCH

TECHNICAL SECTION

BONNET SCOOPS AND PROJECTIONS

Modifications to the bonnet of a vehicle should take into account the possibility that the body of a pedestrian or cuclist might strike parts of the scoop (or bonnet projection) in an accident.

Parts of the scoop likely to be struck are the front, sides and top. The top surface of a scoop should not be more rigid than the original bonnet in case when a load is applied to the scoop perpendicular to the surface of the bonnet.

Engine mounted scoops

No metal engine mounted component likely to increase injuries to a pedestrian in an accident may project through and above the bonnet profile without being protected with a cover mounted to the bonnet.

Bonnet Mounted Scoops

* When a 165mm diametre sphere is placed on the bonnet in front of the scoop (or bonnet projection) and rolled rearwards until it touches the bonnet scoop, no point of contact between the sphere and the scoop shall lie above a horizontal plane passing through the centre of the sphere. ie:

ScoopOpeningSize.jpg

* When sitting in the driver's seat with the seat located at its rearmost position, it shall be possible to see either the surface of the road, 11 metres in front of the driver's eye or the front edge of the original body when looking across the top of the bonnet scoop;

* Alternatively the eye position can be taken as being a point 730mm above and 270mm forward of the junction of the seat cushion and the squab with the seat in its lowest and rearmost position;

ScoopLineOfSight.jpg

* The edges at the front of a scoop likely to come into contact with a pedestrian in an accident shall be well rounded with a minimum of 10mm radius;

* The scoop mustnot have reflective surfaces which will cause glare towards the driver.

:thumbsup:

Adam

Can a rear facing vent just be covered on the inside with a bit of plastic/plywood glued on there? Are those regulations valid for NSW?

I would imagine if you could clearly demonstrate the bonnet was completely sealed off from the vent (no possibility of fluids gettingt through) you'd be ok - coz it wouldnt be a vent - itd be a lump on top of your bonnet lol :wassup:

But u know how it works - depends on the cop who stops u - might just hit u with a yellow and leave it for the inspector to determine if its properly sealed.

And I am not sure if its the same in other States - but dont underestimate the value of walking into an inspection centre and politely chatting to an inspector who isnt busy inspecting - they always pull out all the extra detail and copy it for me when Im thinking about a mod. Great to have on file to show to a nicer cop who might be genuinely ok with having it clarified for them when they enquire about a mod uve got. But if you know u've scored a tard cop then dont even bother agitating them with documents.

:(

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

i got defected the other day for having a carbon fibre bonnet on my 1990 r32. i thought it was pre 95 as well and is what i told the f**k head cop that booked me. i havent gone to get it checked yet either, so im not payin the fine till i know for sure