SAU Community

How does HICAS get YAW-RATE FEEDBACK in an R33????

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pics will be uploaded soon...I took quite a few during the install. I'll probably just link the hosting site, it'll make it easier to view them.

But yea, it works. LOL...I am so amazed I pulled this off...I'm not tripping any HICAS codes. I ran the diagnostic and at first came up with with a Main and Sub-Sensor code (note that I wasn't tripping the warning light during normal operation though). A quick scan of the service procedures ooutlined in the R34 manual descibes that this code can displayed under diagnostic conditions because the last known value for that sensor does not match what is being sensed. Makes sense, considering that the HICAS actuator came from an S14 and the control module came from an R33. Essentially the rear angles didn't match. After I ran through the full diagnostic the codes cleared (under diagnostoc mode). So, I have all inputs functioning perfectly. Amazing!

FYI...I haven't mounted the actuator just yet...it is sitting in my rear hatch with the rats-nest of wires I have at the moment :) I think you guys will like the control box I made...I can switch off ALL power to the HICAS system just like I planned. I swear I about crapped my pants when I made the actuator move while in diagnostic mode...a very very rewarding experience indeed!! I can't really tell when it is moving while I am driving...mostly due to the fact I can't turn around while driving (not a good idea). BUT , I can hear the relay click above certain speeds and around some turns, telling me the control module is switiching power to the actuator. Like I said though, I am not tripping any codes, and I have performed the diagnostic many, many times.

Like I said though, I've yet to mount the actuator, but I'll get that fab'd soon enough. I'm going to design a bracket that uses the existing lower-link bolt holes. The actuator will be bolted to the bracket, and the bracket bolted to the lower link bolt holes. I'm going with steel of course.

For the curious, I have detailed drawings and have documented what I have been doing (no essays, but I kept track of things).

I'll try to get the photos up tonight!

;)

Here are the pics:

http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeAM2TdizcOHDi4

I added a few pics of the exterior of my car ('93 Z32) at the end...at 100K miles she doesn't look too bad don't you agree? :P And yes I know...I have fender gap...due to a diet. Suspension is coming very very soon.

Hope you enjoy the pics and feel free to ask questions about what you are looking at!

I will be working on a bracket design for the actuator when I find some time...hopefully I can get my local Z shop to fab it for me. They are really good with custom parts (intake manifolds, headers) and shouldn't have any trouble.

NOTE: I had trouble clicking on the pictures on the first page...go ahead and view the pics on the second page, then go back to the first page...then it works fine. You might just want to go ahead and "view slideshow"...just a little FYI...

Enjoy!

:rofl:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
bump

Thought I'd give an update...

I am still waiting for my wheel bearing to come in...the only reason that I haven't installed the HICAS yet is because I want to pull the spindle and do all the rear suspension work at once. I have also installed HKS Hipermax II dampers since the HICAS system install. Looks hella awesome...and rides like a dream :(

I have all of the ball joints, snap rings, bolts, etc to attach the HICAS actuator to the spindles. They are new of course! I have also aquired the steel sheet metal (3/16 inch thick hot rolled steel) to make the bracket that holds the actuator. I will minimize, if not eliminate, the need to weld the assembly. All bolts are Grade 8 of course. I'll probably get a few things seam-welded, but for it to actually function, it won't be necessary...more of a long-term durability precaution.

Over a month, and no HICAS codes! It has been in my hatch the whole time, actuator and all lol. Covered up by a white towel...

I will also post the wire colors, and a revised R33 system schematic later down the road. Nothing real soon, but I just want to give a little back for all the helpful insight this forum has given me.

I have yet to reveal my creation to the stateside Z32 community...but I will soon enough...hehehe

More pics and, maybe (if I can find the space), a vid of the system in action on the Z...more to come!!

:)

Cameron