SAU Community

turn 33gtst into 4wd?

25GTT

Heyas!

Well it is a long term goal of mine and one day i might reach it. Is there any way of turn a r33 gtst into a 4wd?

Keep my same engine but convert drivetrain somehow to GTR's 4wd?

I have heard that you can get the bottom end of the stagea or something...

Any ideas anyone on this and how much you guys recon it would cost?

yeah that's my dream as well but I think with R33 GTST are have different body at the Front so there is no room for 4WD transfer case etc...etc.

but then again it's all come downs to Money issue, anything can be possible in limit.

as in NZ GRACER started as R33 GTS-4 converted to R33 GTR rear qad panel and everything...

cheers

Joe

Yes it can be done, but in my opinion is a waste of money, GTS-t's can pull 10sec 1/4's, and many big horsepower 4WD only use RWD. I'd imagine it would cost around $10K, mainly in the labour involved, plus you'd be without your car for at least 2-3months.

But yes it can be done.

See'ya:burnout:

But after all the time, money, and fuss of doing the conversion - Wouldn't it be easier to either

a) Slot in a RB26DETT and keep it RWD

B) Buy a GT-R

or c) Just buy a GTS4 and slot a RB26 into that?

Seems like one of those jobs which seems simple, but turns out to be alot of fuss and has a lot of hidden issues. I have no doubt that the RB25DET out of the Stagea would be about the same price as a R32 RB26DETT anyway. Just my thoughts.

i actually think he should look at it as an option

everyone comes up with the above arguements people generally forget about it or by a gtr.

not many actually go on and complete this mod (i'd say it has been done in japan but i've never seen one done this way)

and seeing dan's car is predominatly a show car why not be unique and have a 4wd gtst.

and seeing dan's car is predominatly a show car why not be unique and have a 4wd gtst.

Or drop in the RB26DETT, keep it RWD and spend the 10-20k on what you would getting it 4WD to modding it to 400kw or something stupid. That would be worth showing :D

Originally posted by skyzerr33

easy done

find a rb25det out of a stagea

this is  a 4wd rb25det, do the engine and transmission swap and your done.

well thats the basic idea of it, also finding a stagea rb25det or front cut will be pretty hard.

Yeah uniqueness would be good... 400kw at the wheels would be nice but prob will stop at 350 - 400 rwhp respectable enough figures i think..... So just Stagea engine and transmission then... Hicas won't be effected or anything like that?

Might ask Psi perf if he can do anything.... any of you guys know of anyone who has done this or has experience in doing this 1st hand?

It will cost lots of $$$ so is a bit of a pipeline dream but would be VERY interested in doing it..... just don't know if i can part with out my baby for the couple of weeks or so they need it for:bahaha:

MY car - R33 RB25det - my worst regret was not purchasing a RB26 and building it to high specs. Im quite happi with the RB25 motor with all the performance parts, but i suggest just spending the $$ directly on a RB26 as the engine has much more potential. Rear wheel is definateli the go as u will lose heaps more power thru the drv train with 4WD.

I support Ryan on his opinion...

N1K

drive train loss? attessa is good in that way theres no extra loss untill its employed and its only employed when your spinning.....

weight is the 4wd killer

if you want a r33 4wd on a budget buy joes na gts-4 super cheap then choose teh engine you want in manual for stag 25 or the 26

......or not

Guest MFX_R33

In the end it would still be cheaper to get a GTR. Then you have the brakes, body, etc all there. The car would not need to be off the road for many months for the build up, and you would have the resale of a GTR when you eventually come to sell it.

I see ktoo many people (dealing with show cars for a living) who get attached to their current car and spend too much money on it when it would be better to get the right car in the first place. Case and point, I have a customers Pulsar here at the moment, which he has put on a full SSS original kit, interior, etc and is looking to convert to an SR20. Instead of just selling it and buying a SSS.

Just my thoughts,

Jeff.