SAU Community

S12 Gazelle Project

gtrGhosTDoGG11

Heya Guys & Girls,

I picked up an old gazelle for a drift car project hopefully I can be drifting with Oshh!, and looking to replace the engine and gearbox to manual.

Does anyone know what engines can fit into the gazelle without too much hassel?

Suggestions are

1. SR20DET Red or Black Top approx price?

2. CA18DET approx price?

3. RB20DET approx price?

Aftermarket ecu will be used, so I guess wiring would be easier.

Do the manual gearboxes fit?

What about the drivetrain? Will this need to be modified?

I guess the brakes will need to be upgraded, will S13,S14 brakes fit?

Will S13,S14 suspension fit aswell?

The SR20 will probably be the best engine for power and weight, where can I source one in Adelaide?

And who would you recommend to do the work?

Cheers Dudes.

A guy i know has one as a project car, and i know from talking to him sr20 is the way to go. Rb20 may fit, but it requires a bit of custom work to be done.

That will be a big thing you will find when you want to do anything to the car too....hes always telling me there is NOTHING that is a bolt in upgrade. Everything you want to do requires welding/cutting and making it yourself. If you cant do any of that...id sell it :P

Or try the gazelle forums :D

Hi,

Here is an S12 Gazelle/Silvia Forum: http://www.club-s12.org/board/. There is alot of Australians on here aswell as alot of US, Canadian and UK owners. Obviously the best base to start with would to have a five speed model and the IRS. As stated above, not very much is a straight bolt on. SR20 and CA18 are the best engines to drop in. I don't think you would have enough room for an RB20. S13 brakes and front suspention can be used along with some various parts from R31 Skylines. It is alot of work and it is an absolutly huge job to convert a live rear axle model to IRS and then to try and find an LSD (Best bet would be from a Z31). I was very seriouly considering doing this myself, but by the time you have it complete you could have a pretty well equiped SR20DET S13/180SX. I've decided to go for an AE86 now.

Chris.

1. SR20DET Red or Black Top approx price - 3500?

RB20DET - 2000?

the price u paid for the engine conversion + the gazelle

u can buy a S13 ca18det easily

which already have better brakes +LSD + heaps better chassis

they come with stock CA20 or something like that?

i'd put a SR20DET in it anyday. You need to change a couple of things like engine mounts and driveshaft i think. i was gonna buy a gazelle off my mate. he has all the parts including the SR20 but it needs to be put all back together.

1. SR20DET Red or Black Top approx price - 3500?

RB20DET - 2000?

the price u paid for the engine conversion + the gazelle

u can buy a S13 ca18det easily

which already have better brakes +LSD + heaps better chassis

When I replaced my RB20DET (since i bought the car knowingly with a dead engine) it cost $800, but that was minus turbo, loom, and ECU. But with coil packs and all sensors. But i had my helicoper mechanic mate do most the work swapping it over for Bundy. :)

If you want to do the project RELATIVELY cheap (no project is truly cheap but that's not why you do it) then I'd go the CA18DET, if they did in fact come with CA20's then you might have some luck with an easier fitting. If you're genuinely interested in doing a PROJECT, have some tools, and are willing to spend the time on it then go nuts.

But if you don't then you'll just be paying for someone else's junk to live at your house.

In that case I'd go with what everyone else says, and buy a S13 CA18DET, maybe one with some battle damage i.e. dead engine / stolen recovered / stacked in the arse (but good chassis), and do the bare minimum to get it running. Then strip it bare and cut sick! :)

Another alternative to bolt a dodgy turbo setup to whatever's in the S12 and run it til it dies. :(

ash, he's already got the car in his possession. I have a family friend that can do engine swaps for wuite cheap. He swapped my old mans corolla engine with another same spec engine for ~$300 or so if i remember correctly and is about to change my brothers clutch for $150. Now that is cheap - cheap advertising i know. MSN me Will if you want his details.

yeah he should be able to will. He changed the engine from an auto car into a manual one so im sure conversion isnt a problem. work out his garage though. Not that that a problem , is it? =D

Theres a guy i know of will, its called something along the lines of duc's backyard autoparts. Should go there can check it out, i heard good thing about him.