SAU Community

R32 - Battery Relocation To Boot

Hey all,

I am sure this would have been discussed before, but I can't find it, feel free to link me if you can find a thread about this!

I am looking at getting a Trust VSPL FMIC. It requires the piping to go through battery tray. I will need to relocate the battery.

A few questions I have

1) Is there a tutorial anywhere?

2) What Cable Size do I need? 2 Guage?

3) What are the legal requirements? (ie. certain type of battery? Additional case?)

4) Anyone got photos of their install?

5) What size/type fuse do I attach onto it?

6) I plan to use the car on the track. Are there any additional requirements for CAMS?

7) Anything you can think of that I haven't?

Thanks

Chris

you can get battery relocation kits from most auto stores.

not sure of the part number, but you get everything you need

steve

Legally, you need either a sealed battery or a battery with an external breather. See the group buys section for a group buy on sealed batteries.

I would use at least 2 gauge cable.

legal or not, id definetly recommend getting the battery covered. a little tale to help enforce why i think this...

my mate is a butcher, and he has a mesh glove that goes from finger tips upto his shoulder (so quite long). he also owns a bmw that has the battery in the boot. so one night after work he was getting ready to leave putting all his gear in the boot, and low and behold, a fire started. his bag caught on fire which held most of his gear, which he pulled out and threw to the ground. not only his bag, but some of the boot lining also which he put out with an old tshirt that was in the boot at the time.

his battery cover had come off and while throwing his gear in, the mesh glove at touched both the terminals, sparked everywhere, and set alight some of his boot.

i would definently get a battery cover.. you may not own a mesh glove, but what if youre throwing in a long screw driver, or your toolbox lid flips open, or some other electricity conducting material happens to be in your boot..

thats all from me..

s.

Thanks guys.

Anyone got photos of their installs? I was hoping to keep my boot 'tidy' as I was gonna do a custom sub install. So a battery in the boot causes problems for the idea. So a stealth install would be good (And also prevent metal gloves from shorting the batter out :rofl: ) Then again, this may cause problems with CAMS... I might give them a call.

For the record - I would use a sealed brattery, and a box around it.