SAU Community

Police fine/ being an arrogant C%^T

Guest Mashrock

Guest Mashrock

my mates mum was going out to her car the other night, at miranda!

she was getting clothes out of her car and noticed she had a parking fine, she was 1ft into the buss lane that wasnt even in operation at the time,

anyway she decided that she would reverse into the drive way of where her mum lives and where she was staying, she jumps into her car and starts it and then the lights flash and sirens go etc.

she was also in an unregesterted car, as she was fixing it all up that weekend, because she works 6 days a week. and hadnt had any time at all. it needed new tyres.

Anyway she had only started the car. and the cops did their little disco light dance,

she told the police she was going to back it into their garage to get it off the road,

he wouldnt buy it.

she ended up getting fined for. un regegersted, un insured, and not paying tax to drive a car?? the last fine i've never herd of.

all about 485 bucks each.

i told her to take it to court

what do you think??

I reckon she's got no chance. How do the rest of us manage to get our cars registered, fixed up, insured while working 6-7days a week?

No excuse. The fail to pay road tax issue is typically an "attitude test" fine so I'd guess that there was more said in the conversation between the driver and the officers involved than you know.

Adrian

Yep, the cop always wins in these sort of situations....my hatred for them grows. The thing is, she really wasn't doing anything wrong (if she was really backing the car into the drive way) and for a police officer to give her hell, fine her and make her miserable is just wrong. He should be out there arresting thieves and what not. Although if the matter is taken to court, even if victory is unlikely, at least your mater and his mother will have had the satisfaction of having to haul the police to court and wasting some of their time.

Hey SKYL9....don't know if it was you, but saw a car with those plates (or very similar) on the Geelong freeway, coming in to Geelong, on Thurdsay.

sorry champ, but there would be no satisfaction in taking them to court, as you would have to pay yours + their court fees... also, as much as they suck and its wrong, the car had to get on the road somehow, if its unregistered, it should be in your yard or somewhere off the road until it does get registered....unless you have a permit to drive from the rta...which allows the driver to go to the place of inspection.

but for a cop to hassle one of us is normal, for them to harass a mature adult, is just a new low.

registration is the tax for driving a car.

sorry bro, tell your mates mum im sorry too.

cheers

Linton

I think it's worth taking to court. Ask for a section 10, ie plead guilty with a reason, and ask for the lenience of the court. Wont have to pay anyone elses costs, just about $50 court costs.

waste their time? isnt that what their day consists of anyway?

True, but this time they get to waste their time on something they don't enjoy doing, as they quite enjoy booking people.

my mates mum was going out to her car the other night, at miranda!

she was getting clothes out of her car and noticed she had a parking fine, she was 1ft into the buss lane that wasnt even in operation at the time,

anyway she decided that she would reverse into the drive way of where her mum lives and where she was staying, she jumps into her car and starts it and then the lights flash and sirens go etc.

she was also in an unregesterted car, as she was fixing it all up that weekend, because she works 6 days a week. and hadnt had any time at all. it needed new tyres.

Anyway she had only started the car. and the cops did their little disco light dance,

she told the police she was going to back it into their garage to get it off the road,

he wouldnt buy it.

she ended up getting fined for. un regegersted, un insured, and not paying tax to drive a car?? the last fine i've never herd of.

all about 485 bucks each.

i told her to take it to court

what do you think??

doesnt matter if the cop bought it or not, no offence but she broke the law and she would have no chance in court,

sorry to hear mate that sucks.... if it was me i would have lost it coz if had so much bad luck with the cops, but i think it doesnt look good but i would try my luck in court as technically she didnt drive the unregistered car! also wat do u have to lose besides an extra $50, think about it this way u can lose an extra $50 or u can gain by saving that 3 x $485!!!

good luck.

Agree with 2rismo on this one. We all work a lot of hours and have to fit servicing etc in. You probably feel a bit more compassion as its your mates mum but how does the policeman know she isnt someone with no intention of getting it registered? You may know differently but even if she was a saint, a law is still a law sadly.

I keep hearing people being fined for things that they feel are unjustified and wonder whether they can be challenged. I know that cops can be a dickhead, after all, I drive a skyline too.

However, in this situation, I believe that your friend's mum was completely in the wrong and has no basis to challenge the police's decision for the following reasons:

1. The car was not registered. Only registered cars can be parked/driven on the road. Why did she break the law in the first place by putting the car on the road?

2. starting the car is consisdered to be driving it.

3. she is lucky that the parking fine was all that she got initially. the policeman could have stuck all that on the window due to the car being unregistered.