SAU Community

HKS type 1 Turbo Timer Help

Hey all

i recently got my car over from Japan 2001 R34 GTT and the car already has a HKS type 1 turbo timer in it.

The Turbo Timer does not actually work it appears to count down but the engine does not keep running, i figured this may have been because it would have to have been disconnected for compliance.

everything else works, speedo,revs, etc. just no turbo timer. so i pulled the everything apart as you do and the connections are all ok, all wires are accounted for and connected to the right spot. So i thought i would have a look in the turbo timer itself and this is what i found. it looks a little suspect to me (sorry they are a little Blurry)

Picture_0025.jpg

Picture_0033.jpg

This next one is the wiring Permanent, Accessories, and Ignition all go to correct spot, it is earthed(black wire)

i am about to check all the park break cables and safety cables but they appear right.

Picture_0046.jpg

If anyone has any ideas about this one let me know. Also if anyone is inclined to pull apart there HKS type 1 tell me if it looks as dodgy inside as this one especially the green wire on the bottom!

cheers ED

• 2 weeks later...

I've got one, but haven't pulled mine apart. If it was the handbrake sensor wire the timer would turn off with the engine.

sounds like it could be a loose connection to the ign wiring perhaps? How is your's wired up? I have the wiring harness that hooks in and I haven't had any issues in the ~3years i've had it installed.

:(

Michael

I've got one, but haven't pulled mine apart.  If it was the handbrake sensor wire the timer would turn off with the engine.

sounds like it could be a loose connection to the ign wiring perhaps? How is your's wired up? I have the wiring harness that hooks in and I haven't had any issues in the ~3years i've had it installed.

:P

Michael

Hi Michael, the Timer was on when i got it, but i am assuming it has the harness you are talking about as there is a 3 plug harness invloved pictured above where the middle one goes to the ignition switch, one goes to the plug which used to go into the ignition switch, and the 3rd goes to a smaller plug that connects to the TT, there is a white wire which you can see in the image which doesn't seem to go anywhere though or have anywhere to hook onto, which is located between the middle plug and the TT

hey sorry i cant help u but maybe you could help me i have a just got a timer and just wondering if the red black yellow wire's can plug into the wiring harnes that the cd player run's off or do i have to run wire's as the timer wire's arnt that long. cheer's im not a very bright spark

hey sorry i cant help u but maybe you could help me i have a just got a timer and just wondering if the red black yellow wire's can plug into the wiring harnes that the cd player run's off or do i have to run wire's as the timer wire's arnt that long. cheer's im not a very bright spark

Hey not sure what type of TT you have

but the four main ones are constant power, ignition, ground and accessories, these should connect to the key switch connector into the coressponding areas, you will need a test light or multimeter etc. Having said that, your cd player will have a constant power and accessories wires connected which you should be able to use i am not 100% sure, CD players usually don't have the ignition so that would still have to go to the key switch connector. ground you can obviously connect to the chassis somewhere. Not sure on the colours you have on your TT got the manual?

still best to go to the key switch connector though.

Others please correct me if i am wrong

ps there should be a safety wire in there somewhere to go to the handbrake!

Hi Michael, the Timer was on when i got it, but i am assuming it has the harness you are talking about as there is a 3 plug harness invloved pictured above where the middle one goes to the ignition switch, one goes to the plug which used to go into the ignition switch, and the 3rd goes to a smaller plug that connects to the TT, there is a white wire which you can see in the image which doesn't seem to go anywhere though or have anywhere to hook onto, which is located between the middle plug and the TT

I'll pull mine apart this w/e and see if i have a dodgy green wire. it could just be that the turbo timer is on it's last legs :( but like i said, i put mine in with the harness a few years ago and mine hasn't skipped a beat :confused:

That said, my girfriend has a new blitz one in her car (6 months old) and it is failing already. I'm not a fan of the Blitz one though. Too had to use each function, the type-1 is nice and easy :rofl:

I'll pull mine apart this w/e and see if i have a dodgy green wire.  it could just be that the turbo timer is on it's last legs :( but like i said, i put mine in with the harness a few years ago and mine hasn't skipped a beat :confused:  

That said, my girfriend has a new blitz one in her car (6 months old) and it is failing already.  I'm not a fan of the Blitz one though.  Too had to use each function, the type-1 is nice and easy :rofl:

Cheers mate, make sure you open it if possible with the face down as the 4 buttons are only sitting in there. I will triple check the ignition wires hopefully this w/e aswell, i am thinking of trying to ditch the current harness temporarily and wire it up as the HKS wiring guide suggests if you don't have a harness available.

I personally think it has been tampered with as you see above the TT has dodgy human solders :) but hey want to check it all out before spending $200 on another one.

thankx mate my tt only has red black and yellow wire's which come out of what i call and looks like a relay box which the timer it's self plug's into with a little white plug also i thought that the cd player's wire's run from an iginition source thats why it turn's off when the iginition is turn off . buggerd if i know but i get what your saying with the propa way (go to the key)cheer's

• 4 months later...

ok I am most certain I have fixed mine, I pulled the relay off the PCB and re-routed a voltage source that was trigered by the turbo timers countdown to the relays coil, and ran power straight through the relay.

it now shows voltage on the IG wire from the TT when counting down and voltage shuts off when it hits 0.

I have yet to test this in my car, or check if I have impeded any of the other functions. (which is not important as it was useless beforehand) but on the bench it seems to be working.

I will test it in car on saturday.

• 2 weeks later...

How did you go?

ok I am most certain I have fixed mine, I pulled the relay off the PCB and re-routed a voltage source that was trigered by the turbo timers countdown to the relays coil, and ran power straight through the relay.

it now shows voltage on the IG wire from the TT when counting down and voltage shuts off when it hits 0.

I have yet to test this in my car, or check if I have impeded any of the other functions. (which is not important as it was useless beforehand) but on the bench it seems to be working.

I will test it in car on saturday.