SAU Community

Ban To Be Inforced On P Plate Drivers Kiss Your Skylines GOODBYE

115 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if u already have your Ps or get em before july 11 it doesnt effect u unless u lose ur licence

If this is true then i am very very relieved... I literally bought my Skyline days ago only to wake up to this piece of bullshit in the paper!

I've been trying to read up on the legislation that was actually passed - but can't seem to find it.

The Daily Telegraph stated that the changes would not affect anyone who was already on P1 and P2, but other sources say it's a blanket ban (well that is the general impression anyway).

I have 1 year until my full liscence, so either the rules don't apply to me now or I'll just have to lock my ride up for a year!

I called them today and you will not believe what I got told:

"I'm sorry sir, we don't have information on that as yet... we are being briefed on that today, may I suggest you call back another time?"

When I proceeded to ask whether or not the rules applied for old timer P plates she just said "I wouldn't think so".

Regardless of what happens, policing this in NSW will be a nightmare - I just can't believe my tax money is being wasted like this especially when there are "crimes" much worse than driving high powered vehicles.

Its alright for you people already with your p plates apparently, but what about poor me who's going for my P's one month after this rule incurs. Anyway, a non turbo will do me for a while. I think its alot of bs though, according to the news the restrictions are that cars cant be turbocharged or 8 or more cylinders. This is crap because alot of powerful cars can be less than 8 cylinders and n/a, and whats more more cylinders doesnt necessarily mean more power, think of the old jag's, v12's and u wouldn't call them a real powerful car. Very wrong way of going about the issue in my opinion.

I think this is all rediculous...

It doesn't effect me as im not a p plater but i think their are just too many new laws being placed on everyone lately, clothing, language, where we can be at certain times, what cars we can drive, whats going to be next? (people should get to be who they want not what there told to be, even if that means theres some idiots, atleast we wont all be puppets)

I think tax payers money can be used much more wisely to bring back some health care then on highway patrol complaining that an exhaust is too loud.

just my opinion..

This is crap because alot of powerful cars can be less than 8 cylinders and n/a, and whats more more cylinders doesnt necessarily mean more power, think of the old jag's, v12's and u wouldn't call them a real powerful car. Very wrong way of going about the issue in my opinion.

I read this on the SMH forum; if you were the author - this is just to show how much I appreciated your input.

Compare a Skyline (or equivalent) to a less powerful car... we'll take the same year of manufacture, same price, but different engines.

1) Much smaller brakes

2) Probably no airbags

3) No ABS, HICAS, Traction Control

Even though driving a less powerful car sounds correct; it is not necessarily as safe?

Anyway concur...

Satanic" you are so right, 3 weeks ago evrything got stolen from my skyline and cops did nothing, THEY TOLD ME TO GET A LESS EXPENSIVE CAR , i was so pissed off, doesnt metter what car you drive if you are going to drive like a maniac... am i rite?

Its incredibly frustrating, I know its a good law when it comes to drivers that are completely inexperienced, but what happened to the idea that turbocharged/supercharged car owners had to undergo official training and safety for one-two days before being approved as an owner? I think thats a much wiser idea than banning everyone from owning their dream car.

Its pretty upsetting for me, as ive started saving for a car, which I would have hoped would have been turbocharged, but its gone out the window. As I said, its a law with good intentions, but I think they could have gone about it in such a less destructive manner!

So many maniacs are out there, but now their excluding all of us under 21-22 (black license) from having a 'modified' car? Thats bullshit... send them off to driving courses before excluding EVERYONE.

You shold have told the cop to stop being so jealous - tell him to stop wasting his time earning 30k, risking his life, and not receiving any workplace insurance benefits!

Sorry to hear about your car... But I agree, any car regardless of speed, age or price is a target.

You shold have told the cop to stop being so jealous - tell him to stop wasting his time earning 30k, risking his life, and not receiving any workplace insurance benefits!

Sorry to hear about your car... But I agree, any car regardless of speed, age or price is a target.

I read this on the SMH forum; if you were the author - this is just to show how much I appreciated your input.

Compare a Skyline (or equivalent) to a less powerful car... we'll take the same year of manufacture, same price, but different engines.

1)  Much smaller brakes

2)  Probably no airbags

3)  No ABS, HICAS, Traction Control

Even though driving a less powerful car sounds correct; it is not necessarily as safe?  

Anyway concur...

Sounds about right to me too.

El Bee

Its a cheap fix to the greater problem. The problem being is driver training. We are taught how to park, change gears, stop at red lights, and idicate (which a lot of people seem to forget) I think most people arent even taught or tested on a simple task such as merging at highway speed. Not even getting in to defencive driving.

And to all of those worried about having to sell your car, like with the gun laws if they were to do that there would have to be a buy back system or something simliar, its too tricky for them to impliment all of that.

End of the day you learn more while you are younger, they should be taking full advantage of this and teaching young people how to drive etc better in their younger years. I also think they will find most young persons deaths are related more so to drug driving etc rather than say speed, or inexperience in a situation.

The quick fix is a bigger vote winner than the proper solution.

I dunno.. I used to travel 150km/hr in a crappy old sigma, which was my first car, just to see whether i could do it (it could). But I wouldn't have liked to have to have braked safetly from that speeds with the tiny brakes and whatever else. Not that I could have afforded a turbo skyline back then, but I think it would have been somewhat safer than doing it in the sigma..

It's funny in a way, because if you can skew the statistics in other ways, it actually shows older drivers (50+) are almost statistically just as likely to be involved in a fatal accident with the amount of hours spent driving per week, compared to some of the younger drivers.

Im on my full licence now so im not worried about it too much but i do have reservations about the potential resale value of my car... This new ban will be cutting a substantial chunk out of the potential buyer demographic for our cars :-(

Anyway, it is hoped that the cops would be pulling us over less due to this legislation but is it just me or can everyone else see more hassling from the cops now that they have a custom made reason specially made for pulling Skylines (and the like) over:

"I wanna check if your licence allows you to drive this car..."

This is a crock of $h1t, and its too ****ing nazi for my liking.

I am still scratching my head - how can these things fix up a behavioural problem? Even driver training isn't going to fix it either, merely reducing the amount some of them might hurt themselves. Kids will always be kids..