SAU Community

out goes the stagea diff in goes the GTR diff :)

StageZilla

Stagezilla, i could have helped you a long time ago but just starting reading your stagediary today. 260RS and 33GTRS have differant length rear drive shafts. I think from memory GTR are to short. Its been a while but i built a Stagea just like you a few years ago in Japan. The rear end in short gave me a lot of headaches. Also if you use 33 GTR rear hubs as you want to the shocks become the next issue. First of all 33GTR and 260rs rear shocks are diff. 260RS are longer, not such a problem just buy 260RS rear shocks, umm The strut tops are diff diameters. You may get away with pillow mounts but from experiance the 260 RS std strut top is bigger than the RS4 std one and fows on the inside of strut towers. Front are same just diff damper rates. Also if your Stagea has no rear hicas you can swap the bush (non hicas stagea) to the gtr hub (which has a pressed in balljoint for the hicas tierod end to attach to) and your stagea non hicas arms will bolt straight on. I used a whole 33GTR diff, hubs, axles and 260rs rear shocks. The axles were to short. I even tried nissan president shafts as they are same spline and dia as gtr. The autech 260RS rear xmember is diff to allow the hubs to sit closer to the diff for tyre clearance. Sorry to write so much any questions glad to help.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CORRECTION Sorry Stagezilla. R33 GTR (non vspec 4/95~12/97) left and right drive shafts are same as 260RS (11/97~8/98) drive shafts. Just went to garage and check my notes, its starting to come back!! When i put them in that was what i thought "WTF there to short" . The 260rs rear cradle is basically norrower (not much but it is) than the rs4 cradle. I even tryed a 33 gtr rear cradle complete with hubs,shafts etc (i had a written off 33 gtr to swap parts around if your wondering where did this guy......), going this way stuffs up the rear shocks angles. Anyway you can make it work this is Aus afterall. Half shafts also same, at the time i thought they may have used differant length half shafts but they don't. I had a problem with hand brake cables length also. Can't remember were, think when putting GTR rear end in??? Don't think youll have any problem. Hope you make it work.

hey argo thanks for the detailed info from a person who has actually done it ;)

yes we have removed the hicas bar and put the stagea bush end to bolt up the stock stagea arms, we have test fitted the hubs on which are fine but we aint bolted the diff centre in and tried the axle lengths which i hope is ok :whatsthat

im using the top arms from the gtr with the round top on em that surrounds the shockies, and then the other 2 arms are stock stagea ones.

u r getting me worried now hehe :confused: well considering we did the entire conversion at home it shouldnt be too much hassle.. i hope :whatsthat

ill let you know how it goes

Brad

well argo is correct on the axles being too short :whatsthat

they are about 100mm too short dammit, so how did u solve the problem then????

one option is too get axles lengthened but maybe theres some easier way?

cheers again mate i believed ya but i had to check for myself :innocent:

thanks

Brad

So dose that mean that the Stagea has a wider track than the GTR. How dose it compare to a R33 GTSt?

I tried to fit a R33 GTS-t sway bar on my Stagea but the rear sub frame was about 50mm to wide for the mounts to line up.

So dose that mean that the Stagea has a wider track than the GTR.  How dose it compare to a R33 GTSt?  

I tried to fit a R33 GTS-t sway bar on my Stagea but the rear sub frame was about 50mm to wide for the mounts to line up.

ok well i been measuring things up and trying a few ideas and heres my findings ;)

stagea track is wider than the gtr (and gtr axles are about 80mm too short compared to stagea ones)

tried a gtr r32 swaybar on the rear and it DOESN'T fit so thats buggered that idea :whatsthat

well the real good news is i recently got sent a axle to replace to stagea one and found out its heaps fatter and bigger unis etc so i compare to gtr one to the one i got sent and the one i got sent is EXACTLY the right length to fit the stagea with gtr diff which is bloody awesome and a stroke of luck as its actually a GTS4 axle which is same larger size as gtr but just 80mm longer :)

so that is sorted which is a good thing, just waiting for another gts4 axle for the other side now :uh-huh:

cheers guys for all the help

ok well i been measuring things up and trying a few ideas and heres my findings :)

stagea track is wider than the gtr (and gtr axles are about 80mm too short compared to stagea ones)

tried a gtr r32 swaybar on the rear and it DOESN'T fit so thats buggered that idea  :whatsthat  

well the real good news is i recently got sent a axle to replace to stagea one and found out its heaps fatter and bigger unis etc so i compare to gtr one to the one i got sent and the one i got sent is EXACTLY the right length to fit the stagea with gtr diff which is bloody awesome and a stroke of luck as its actually a GTS4 axle which is same larger size as gtr but just 80mm longer ;)

so that is sorted which is a good thing, just waiting for another gts4 axle for the other side now  :uh-huh:  

cheers guys for all the help

Some questions;

Is that an R33GTS4 axle or an R32GTS4 axle?

The GTR axles that where too short, where they R32 or R33?

:D

gtr axle was the r32 and im unsure about the gts4 one but ill find out very soon and let u know :) (but argo said r33 gtr where too short too )

im assuming the gtr has a lesser width track at the rear to fit bigger tyres under the gaurds maybe?

im wondering how the front driveshafts compare to gtr ones then?

but the gtr diff housing and stagea diff housing are identical except mounting points on top for attessa pumps etc, so we put the gtr lsd stuff in the stagea housing.

so its all bolt in from here thankfully, no custom length driveshafts to be made :Party:

thanks

Brad

hi, the R32 GTS4 diff ratios are RC43, 4.3 so they 'should' work.

I have measured up a lot of stuff off my GTS4 against a friends R32 GTR which is the same month/year as my GTS4 and they share most of the bits(obviously dif ratios (and lsd type) and gearbox ratios are different, driveshafts are same diameter(fronts) swaybars, suspension links and bushes are same even checked on the Fast systems and they use same part numbers. that part matching module in fast is really cool, seeing what cars use the same parts as the skylines!

p.s. I always thought the Stageas were real close to the Skylines, obviously they are not designed for the same market and it makes no real sense building a family 'sports' wagon with components that can handle massive HP upgrades. The jap prices I have seen for very new Stageas always seemed too cheap to me for a car that I thought was basically a 'Skyline without a boot'. I suppose if you want a tough as nails stagea Nissan will happily point you in the direction of a 260 RS.

pioneering is the most interesting  

lol

Brad I have big ARC front and rear sway bars for the stagea rose jointed........  come on down

ill take em :uh-huh: ill give you a ring today mate and might even return your brakes and swaybar haha :Pimp2:

thanks mate

Brad

• 1 year later...

i need a little more light on this subject as ive removed the rear cover then removed the to bolts in there but dont know what to do next could someone please explain this to me more clearly? thanks

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

im a little confused.

exactly what parts of ur rear end did u replace with gtr??

u said u used stagea housing does that mean these "longer axles" are the same as std stagea axels??

will they bolt straight in to any stagea or do i need a bunch of gtr stuff??

im a little confused.

exactly what parts of ur rear end did u replace with gtr??

u said u used stagea housing does that mean these "longer axles" are the same as std stagea axels??

will they bolt straight in to any stagea or do i need a bunch of gtr stuff??

it was along time ago now and i forgot alot of info, but the stagea axles snapped and i put in a gtr centre in the stagea diff housing, as they are both r200 diffs, but i used the stagea housing for ease of mounting attessa pumps etc back in as normal. I added gts4 axles and one long one fit the short side of the stagea and the long side needed another 40mm added onto it to make the length fit. I dont know if it was a r32 or 33 gts4 before anyone asks lol. The gts4 axles are same as gtr in thickness and uni joint size, but alot longer. GTR axles wont fit as they are wayyy short. Thats about all i can add on the subject as i didnt experiment with any other parts at the time.