SAU Community

r33 skyline question

The stock turbo is only efficient and effective upto 12psi MAX. You can put it up more but what you don't know is actually hurting your car, by this I mean, internally you wiping years off your engine.

I have been recommend by all mechanics that 12 is a absolute safe limit you want to sit on. Any more you need to start adding more fuel to compensate for the air. This means changing injectors, fuel pump, high flow fuel filter, fuel lines, Apexi PowerFC.

In order to unleash more power you may as well change the turbo.

Stock turbo is safe up to 14psi. After this you're putting too much strain on the ceramic exhaust wheel.

There's no point in upping the boost to 14psi if you keep the stock computer or don't run some sort of piggy back like an SAFC. The stock computer dumps a lot of fuel and retards the engine timing to protect the engine if you run higher boost. The result is a dyno curve that goes up and down and up and down. On the road this feels like surging.

I run 11psi w/ the stock turbo, Power FC, front mount, full 3" exhaust, high pressure fuel pump, and fuel pressure reg. When the new injectors are installed I'll run 14psi, and get the power FC retuned.

I use to run 11psi without the Power FC, fuel pump, and fpr. The power band was all over the place.

The turbo is located on the passenger side of the engine bay underneath a heat shield.