SAU Community

Not another New Guy!!!

Hey all,

I've been lingering around here for a little while, top site you have here! I've just driven back 12hrs from bathurst (yep!) in my shiny new(for me anyways) white '96 gtst!

Let me tell ya, I've wanted one of these for about 10 years, and after finally getting one, I'm in no way disappointed! I guess i had a bit of luck, as it rained nearly all the way home, which allowed me to get the "feel" of the dual stage boost :D Dayuuum!!!

Anyhoo, being a newbie and all, I have a few questions about a few little glitches. Please feel free to direct me to any other threads that address my questions!

Glitch #1 - The heater no workie :P I dont know whether the heater element is electric or just normal (ie off the cooling system), but I have checked all the fuses, they are all fine(it would be handy if I could read japanese...), the Climate Control works fine, as does the aircon, so I'm thinking that it's just the heater element not working, saving that i'm stumped. Has anyone else has this problem and is there a fix for it?

Glitch #2 This may or may not be related to #1... The Windscreen vents dont work, and when you try and divert to them, all you get is a clicking sound form the dash, ala plastic cog not being able to drive the air diverter to it's position. Am i close? any fixes?

Glitch #3, this thing is toooooo loowwwwww at the front. On the last service sheet, it says "adjusted suspension", however to me, the suspension aint adjustable... It's not coil over, there's no adjusting rings, it basically looks like stock that may or may not have had inserts put in. Check out the photo of the strut top, and let me know if it's adjustable or not! If it's not I'll have to get different springs, which is just great, cause I dont have a clue of the rate of these. All i know is they are, firm, low, and blue.

I have a bazillion other questions, but I've got plenty of time to ask em!

Here are a few photos of the new baby at Mount Panorama for you to look at while you ponder my questions.

Thanks for any help!!! :Pimp2:

P6140142Medium.jpg

P6130137Large.jpg

P6130135Large.jpg

P6130138Large.jpg

P6130139.jpg

Nice ride mate, Check on the suspension strut to see if it looks any different?? With adjustables i think you need a tool to wind them up and down too? did the seller give you it (if it does have adjustables) or he might of taken them out?

I have no idea about the heater, but your on the right track i'd say. My heater makes the click noise too, its the vent getting jammed, mine still works however, i'd suggest you take the dash surround off, and have a look inside yourself.

Once again, congratz on the purchase mate! looks very tidy!

Dayne

nice mate, im a newbie as well lol only had mine for 3 weeks so i got no idea bout ur problems soz. from the photos urs looks about as low as mine is on the front end, personally i like em low, they look better, but it has to be a practical car as well, most suspension places should be able to tell you about all that.

good work :D

Cheers guys, yeah i love the look of it, but if you saw the roads where i live... that and I have to do a pretty complex maneuvre(sp?) just to get into the servo here without scraping! I think i can get away with an inch or 2 without losing the look of it. I kinda have to do, it, cause it wont get a roadworthy otherwise :D

yeah from the underside it just looks standard. no height rings, no nothin...

lol i got dodgy roads here as well mate, 2 get home i have to drive down like 2kms of dirt road... * shudder *, and the way the streets are designed is stupid... i hate the kfc drive through the most, i could come out sideways and still hurt the front bar lol.

but thats how it is, i aint jackin my car up lol, it'll look shockin.

You're almost spot on about the vent clicking noise and you'll find many sympathetic R33 owners with the same issue. I believe the fix is cheap but painful to get to. Any dash work in any car is a pain though.

The heater is a conventional heat core with engine coolant running through it. The previous owner may have had a leak in the heater core and done a heater core bypass. If he didnt tell you this that sucks, its a bit tricky to get at to repair but shouldnt cost too much for a second hand heater core. Many front cuts will come with them so your nearest import parts dealer will have a load sitting around.

We'd be able to tell if you have had the heater core bypassed if you take a photo in the engine bay of the firewall - nearish the exhaust - two pipes should run into the firewall there.

Hey - ANOTHER NEW GUY HERE!!! ;)

Not that you feel it around here; it's one of the most welcoming forum's I've ever been on. Perhaps the most. Suits such perfection in machinery (yeh, I got the bug BAAD).

Dude, looks to me like you just need to loose a bit of the spoiler :D but that's me, practical attitude. I would make the front of the car uglier rather than ruining handling.

Anyway, just a thought - perhaps they're like KONI's where the adjustment is made by turning the shaft off-car? Just a thought, I really don't know.

Love the car. It's funny, with Skyline's I just don't care too much about color. They look great in any color. Any other car - HAS to be black. But a Skyline is machine, not a glam-doll... innit? :D

So, you drive to the mighty mountain (very apt, place where Skyline once slayed V8s 'till they were banned :D love it); - and you can just go on the track? What the? Speed limits apply, right? Or do ya pay for a closed circuit run and go for it? I'm buying an R32 Godzy. I'm in QLD. You get my drift here (no pun intended :D ).

?????

A strap on panorama in a new '32 .... aaaaarrghummmm mmmm mmmm mmmm....

Lol.

Yes, I'm a giddy 29 yr old child. I'm buying a GT-R. And I'm drunk right now...

EDIT: BTW that is a SHIT-HOT place for photies. Seriously. I have a mate just bought a $2000 canon digital SLR. Think he's coming to bathurst with me :D hehe

hey Andrew, sounds like you've got the bug worse than me! I'm 27 and this is my first skyline, but i've wanted one ever since godzilla beat them on the mountain. Mate, let me tell ya, that is one awesome piece of machinery you are buying! I took one for a test drive, man they just feel like a decked out race car! I love em but i bauked a bit at the age of em, so the '96 it was for me!

Yeah mate, about panorama, it's actually not a track, but a normal road.. of sorts... People live in houses up there and stuff, so yeah you can just drive right on it! apparently they like to set speed cameras up around it, so just go for a couple of laps to see if you can spot any! the only place i really gave it stick was down conrod, but i only wound it out in 4th... didn't want to tempt fate too much! It's heaps different than it looks on tv... just the angles of the corners and stuff, alot tighter than you'd expect!

I did the old jack-up-the-front trick the other day, to see what height would still look good, and be legal, and it turns out that i can be 20mm above legal minimum, and that's when the car looks balanced. It's actually riding too low in the front at the moment, I've heard around the traps that you can only lower '33's so much before it's detrimental to the suspension... so it's a win win really! It just so happens that I live 2 hrs from Dobinsons (BIG spring company), so I'm getting a custom set made. Usually, the front and rear sit at the same height, where as currently mine is sitting 25mm lower at the the front than it should be, if it is to be equal with the rear. The front end has waaaaay more stick that the rear so I dont think i'll have too much of a problem handling wise! and I wont have to bloody cringe every time theres a small hump I have to drive over!

Enjoy your GTR mate!! be sure to post lots a pics!

It's actually riding too low in the front at the moment, I've heard around the traps that you can only lower '33's so much before it's detrimental to the suspension... so it's a win win really! It just so happens that I live 2 hrs from Dobinsons (BIG spring company), so I'm getting a custom set made. Usually, the front and rear sit at the same height, where as currently mine is sitting 25mm lower at the the front than it should be, if it is to be equal with the rear. The front end has waaaaay more stick that the rear so I dont think i'll have too much of a problem handling wise! and I wont have to bloody cringe every time theres a small hump I have to drive over!

Enjoy your GTR mate!! be sure to post lots a pics!

Ah ok, I see. Yeah it's probably very like Silvias - there's only a little lowering you need, other wise it's as you say, detrimental to handling...

I put a deposit down today :jump:

I'm putting together a write up at the moment, cos there's questions and stuff I have, plus I want to show it off :D

I'll link it up once I find the best forum to post it in...

Cheers,

Andrew

EDIT: Here's info on the car - and my Qs...

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/sh...133#post1416133