SAU Community

Getting out of Japan... (frequent updates)

Rezz

Wherever you go there are goign to be a whole bunch of bad things occuring in the country, its a fact of life that people cause misery wherever they go indirectly through their actions. The trick to keeping your self happy and crap is to turn a blind eye and not get dragged too deeply into all the horrible things in life. You said people living in japan indefinatly put on blinkers, well ignorance is bliss but it seems that your too perceptive.

I've been diging through a few of the older posts in this forum and one of your main reasons for leaving australia was because of the dull and boring I.T. carreer sector of your life. Well it looks like the tables have turned and you've lost your passion for teaching. Looks like you've got your mind pretty much made up though.

If you dont mind me asking just what is it makes you want to leave japan? The bad economy? job insercurity? constant racism? gaijin factor etc?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You said people living in japan indefinatly put on blinkers
No I didn't, I said:
The guys that have decided to stay in Japan indefinately generally all put blinkers on to the bad side of Japan
I was actually referring to the people who are like me - at a crossroads - but decide to stay in Japan knowing full well that there are things that make them uneasy that have to go ignored in order to continue living there. I can name 3 guys in my social circle right now who are like this. I don't condone that course of action, they are indifferent to it, so I leave it at that.
I've been diging through a few of the older posts in this forum and one of your main reasons for leaving australia was because of the dull and boring I.T. carreer sector of your life
Keep digging mang because I've never had an IT career LOL! In fact, I came to SAU almost 3 years after I arrived in Japan. By that stage I think I was totally brainwashed to the 'good side' of Japan, the complete opposite of how I feel about it now. Being 30 years old doesn't help either.
If you dont mind me asking just what is it makes you want to leave japan?
The Anpanman theme song. Period.

I was actually referring to the people who are like me - at a crossroads - but decide to stay in Japan knowing full well that there are things that make them uneasy that have to go ignored in order to continue living there.  

I wouldn't say that these things have to be ignored, anymore that that people living in Aus have to ignore higher crime levels, car jackings and all the other "horrible" things that seem to be going on - and I base these comments on the many threads I have read on this very board over the past 2 years.

Accepted, yes. But not ignored.

I certainly don't ignore the less desireable aspects of living in Japan. But, as has been said before, no country is without its downsides. And I personally believe that it is only those of us who have lived in Japan long enough to "know it" who can make an informed decision as to which countries "bad points" are the most acceptable to oneself.

For me personally, yeah, there is plenty to dislike about Japan but there is even more to dislike about living in Ol Blighty...

either way, it's nice to have the choice isn't it!

For me personally, yeah, there is plenty to dislike about Japan but there is even more to dislike about living in Ol Blighty...

Thats right. I'm glad you chimed in with that Dave because I think this is where the real discussion is. Just how 'good' is living in Japan compared to your own country? Granted, you live in a somewhat rural Japanese town, which I dare say you wouldn't experience peak hour on the trains very often. Theres a whole bunch of other stuff which I won't go into, you know it, I know it so... yes, it *is* nice to have a choice.

BUT... I don't think Japan even compares to my hometown of Perth. I mean, we send 20 - 30 students there on vacation tours and study abroad packages every year. And they keep coming back for more. What in Jeebus's name could they like about 'Perth'???? The rediculously short trading hours (9am - 5:30pm Mon - Thurs, till 9pm Fri, and 10 - 6pm Sat/Sun)? The stupidly inadequate train system? The reliance on cars as a result (thats not such a bad thing IMO :D) The tame nightlife?

Hers my list of pro's and con's of Japan v Perth (my hometown):

PERTH Pro's:

Brilliant weather

Brilliant beaches

Overall high standard of roads

Low pollution levels

VERY quiet in the suburbs

Compact city that is easy to navigate

Strong economy (for the State of WA)

Easy to find a job (for me anyway)

Lower cost of living

Public Transport is quite high tech (Hydrogen cell buses/brand new trains)

My family live there!

Low population density

PERTH Con's:

Isolated compared with other AU cities (but then again, thats good for Perth culture)

Stupid Shopping hours

Housing prices are increasing

Summers can be too hot

Water restrictions in Summer sometimes?

Overzealous Policing of traffic/speed cameras

Less disposable income due to infinitely smaller economy

Slow domestic internet (8meg/sec is fastest right now?) due to low population density... thats a Con AND a Pro.

------------------------------------------------

JAPAN (Osaka) Pro's:

Huge market with so many choices

Large disposable income

Convenient Public transport system (maybe best in the world)

Spring and Autumn can be beutiful in the right areas

Good choice of used sports cars :)

'Interesting' nightlife

Some real bargains to be found in any market genre (I found 300 yen pints of beer the other week)

Generally well recieved because I'm not Japanese. I think Americans have it good and bad... they're the most well recieved sometimes, then other times they're the most hated... depends on who you talk to. But as an Australian, nobody *really* hates us.

JAPAN (Osaka) Con's:

Pollution

Crowds

'Citizen Tax'

Road tolls

Shaken (Vehicle roadworthyness inspection)

Earthquakes (never know when or where - constantly in the back of your mind)

Humid Summers... too humid.

Endless built up areas that all look the same... a nightmare for navigation

Ugly cities

Beaches that I wouldn't even piss on... not near the cities anyway

Wierd people that could injure/kill people at any time, any place (Amagasaki train crash anyone?)

I HAVE TO be an English teacher, no other choices

Total ignorance to the fact that I can speak conversational Japanese by the locals... even my inlaws!

Staring

Strange smell in the city

Staring

Peak hour

Staring

Not a good School system for the kids to go through IMO

Lame 'all talk no action' Government - Koizumi is pathetic

Did I mention 'staring'?

Theres more, but they are the main points.

Well as a Japan newbie (three weeks now). I can see some of these things on the horizon, yesterday was the first day when I really felt bored and isolated. Also the evening before I got my first taste of "staring from outside the blast zone" yep, semi-busy train with a dedicated gaijin area, all for me! Oh well...

Also I am learning hiragana (writing/reading) and feel like a total retard. Getting あ and お mixed up when I write them and not being able to remember which sound goes with which with all the letters without a big "etoooooooooo".

The other thing is that teaching is definitely not my thing. I don't know how long I will end up staying, I have to stay at least a year so I can personal import my S14! But I can't imagine I will stay forever.

Anyway, enough about me. While I am still in the honeymoon period, I can see the problems that are annoying you here Rezz. But I look back to the rut I had stuck myself in back in Oz and it looks pretty damn good. BUT and this is the big one, going back you have another fresh start, which can only be a good thing. MAke the most of it and thanks for all your interesting posts from your time in Japan.

Well as a Japan newbie (three weeks now). I can see some of these things on the horizon, yesterday was the first day when I really felt bored and isolated. Also the evening before I got my first taste of "staring from outside the blast zone" yep, semi-busy train with a dedicated gaijin area, all for me! Oh well...

Also I am learning hiragana (writing/reading) and feel like a total retard. Getting あ and お mixed up when I write them and not being able to remember which sound goes with which with all the letters without a big "etoooooooooo".

The other thing is that teaching is definitely not my thing. I don't know how long I will end up staying, I have to stay at least a year so I can personal import my S14! But I can't imagine I will stay forever.

Anyway, enough about me. While I am still in the honeymoon period, I can see the problems that are annoying you here Rezz. But I look back to the rut I had stuck myself in back in Oz and it looks pretty damn good. BUT and this is the big one, going back you have another fresh start, which can only be a good thing. MAke the most of it and thanks for all your interesting posts from your time in Japan.

ARE YOU IN OSAKA? Why don't we meet up??? Streeter can come along too. Let me know...

I have to admit the "staring" has never bothered me, and living out in a rural area where foreigners are few and far between, you can imagine that we stand out quite a bit.....

I dunno...I guess having "all eyes on me" makes me feel somewhat special! Like I'm famous or something. :D Fame without the fotune. I'd prefer the latter, but don't object to the former :D

But, I guess for some, being noticed is not as desireable as being just another face in the crowd.

Don't think I agree with that weird people comment. There are far more "weirdo's" in England, and appologies to an American's on here, but IMHO the U.S. is almost entirely composed of completely weird people ;):D

Alot of the negatives you've listed are way more apparent in the big cities, and I must say that if I was I had started off living in a big city like Tokyo or Osaka I would almost certainly have left Japan before now. I'm happy to spend a day shopping in Tokyo, but that's about it. Life in a city like Tokyo would drive me mad...:D

*mental note* Don't visit Osaka, cause apparently it smells! :D

Don't think I agree with that weird people comment. There are far more "weirdo's" in England, and appologies to an American's on here, but IMHO the U.S. is almost entirely composed of completely weird people ;):D

Lol, then there's another reason not to come to the city so often :D

To be honest, just walking around Osaka, you can *see* the wierdo's walking around amongst the throngs of people... talking to themselves, moving erratically... I can pick them out. These are the guys that maim and even kill... remeber back in 2002 when that crazed psycho stabbed to death 10-odd kids at the Primary School in South Osaka BECAUSE HIS WIFE LEFT HIM??? Ok, he got the death penalty but what about the kids? Theres more, alot more stories like this but you get the picture. It's incredibly insane and horrifically random murders like this that just reinforce the fact that there are a heck of alot on people in this country (mostly men) who have very little regard for other human beings... or even their own pitiful lives.

Hi all, I have been going through the skyline japanese forums for some time now, actually been through the whole forum.

What can i say, i have been in Japan now for 2 months, I live in Noborito, kawasaki ( about 16mins from shinjuku).

I must admit that Japan was not what i thought it would have been, like you read all these travel brochures and these lonely planet guide books and such, and then you get to this place and its totally different. I really am having a good time, but i can totally understand why some people would be sick of this place.

Weird people, Yes have seen many around.

Bad smell, definitely around, makes me wanna throw up each time i take a whiff :spew:

Inconsiderate people is another thing, had this guy get stuck ibetween the train door, and people just looked and ignored it completely, i was standing near the door so i just pryed it open for him.

Staring isnt such a big problem for me as i am vietnamesse, so everyone thinks i am japanesse.

Also the no smoking in the station policy, but its definitely ok for a salary man to have both hands on his knees and barf all over the friggin train station (yesterday too at akasake mitske station) and people just acting as if nothing was happening..

And there are many other things.

As much as i am having a good time teaching and living here, i cant see myself staying past my contract. So hats off to you Rezz that you have stayed here for soo long, i know i couldnt have done it.

Anyone else living in the same area as me? we should catch up and have a beer or 6 one nite :jump:

/Edit: Sorry for such a negative post, had a shit day today at work combined with other things, eg: miss family back home, friends, dogs, food, driving etc.. Normally im a happy chirpy guy... Just needed to do some bitching and venting :grouphug: lol

I thought I'd pipe up cos I noticed this thread and it's interesting reading. Sorry to mess up your flow Rezz.

I don't know if this helps or no but I believe when people come to a crossroad their environment and situation is secondary to the fact they are at a crossroad. So.. infact in my way of thinking, you'd be making decisions based on your environment/situation no matter where you were at this time.

In keeping with that, it's not so much the environment/situation (which consists of factors that will influence your decision) that is the catalyst... but rather it's just the tangible factor.

Which essentially means (in my theory anyways), whatever you do - remember the point of the decision (holistic/overall) and not the environment/situation (tangibles, ie the things in front of you that support your decision).

I hope that makes sense... either way good luck ;)

In keeping with that, it's not so much the environment/situation (which consists of factors that will influence your decision) that is the catalyst... but rather it's just the tangible factor.

Which essentially means (in my theory anyways), whatever you do - remember the point of the decision (holistic/overall) and not the environment/situation (tangibles, ie the things in front of you that support your decision).

I hope that makes sense... either way good luck :D

Thanks mate, that pretty much sums up my thought process right there... but thanks anyway. :)

can i ask people, y would they go to Japan?

Well, maybe it's better to start a new thread with that one mmmmm?

can i ask people, y would they go to Japan?

Lets see;

1) Experiencing a different culture

2) Learning/practising a 2nd or 3rd language

3) Fun / Change of scene

4) Importing/taking a car home

5) Career change

6) Gap year - exchange - culture exchange etc

6) Find a wife...?

7) For something new - exciting - challenging

Note these are reason's to come here initially... not on an ongoing long term basis (as Rezz has posted)

I have only ever lived in japan for 6months total. But i think i can understand some of what you are saying.

I'd really love to go back ASAP to study Japanese though. The older i get the harder it will be to improve i think.

:(

Anyway i hope you are doing ok!

EDIT---------

Btw, just a question ... Have you ever been in a fight with a Japanese guy before?

I used to stay in some dodgy area of CHIBA and there were lots of yanki's and yakuza etc.

When i was there some guy grabbed me through the car window when i was in the carpark and tried to fight me but he was drunk etc and upon seeing my size his friends pulled him away and were shouting out oh sorry so sorry etc. (i am not massive but this guy was pretty small/skinny.)

Apart from that i find even the tough guys in the rough area i was in would stare but they'd always move out of the way and say 'a sumimasen' or just move without being smart asses.

This is just a question out of curioristy as most people say they've never encountered anything like that in JP.

:sadam:

Lol, they would have to land a pretty good one on you otherwise, they would find they have one big angry beaver thats going to romp them once he gets ahold of them.

Cheers

Sumo

Uhhh..I think there are lotsa weird people in Australia too :crazy: Often on the trams and trains in Melb, I have seen people (mostly middle age or old folks) talking to themselves, ranting about the injustice they face...or some other garbled sh1t.

Seriously especially in the cities....drunks, dope addicts, bogans...it's the same sh1t everywhere. Or rather the same difference if you know what I mean :( Even while driving here, I fear for my life. Reckless drivers, kids in high-powered cars (I didn't say which car) who think they're invincible. Bogans fighting in the city. Just the other day on Bourke St mall, I saw a young teenage female clutching herself..blood dripping out from her sides. I was personally caught in the middle of a teen gang fight in a train here in Australia. Bottles flying everywhere, knives thrown, had to run out of the train at the next station. I (also recently) saw another middle age poofter on a tram in collins st who kept punching his fist into the tram door at every stop and shouting "f[uK". And all this for no apparent reason.

Public transport in australia sucks badly too, as a result there are cars everywhere, congestion...sigh...

It's when you miss home and you're alone that these things stand out glaringly in your face.

I'm from squeaky clean Singapore and I can identify with some of the efficiency, cleanliness and relatively low crime rate of Japan. I love Japan! For it's culture, food, chicks, and it's quirky-ness, but then again I've only been there for 2 wks. In deciding if I should stay in Australia or move elsewhere or back Singapore, I face the same situation as you Rezz ;) albeit different countries but same circumstances.

I found out....Everywhere has it's pros and cons..it's just which pros you like and which cons you can put up with. Also...community (i.e. family and friends) play a large factor making your decision. Take into account career, where you want to be eventually when you're old...or where you want your kids to be.

Sorry for the long winded post, just trying to help....I hope you make the right decision. :uh-huh:

Lol, then there's another reason not to come to the city so often :(

To be honest, just walking around Osaka, you can *see* the wierdo's walking around amongst the throngs of people... talking to themselves, moving erratically... I can pick them out. These are the guys that maim and even kill... remeber back in 2002 when that crazed psycho stabbed to death 10-odd kids at the Primary School in South Osaka BECAUSE HIS WIFE LEFT HIM??? Ok, he got the death penalty but what about the kids? Theres more, alot more stories like this but you get the picture. It's incredibly insane and horrifically random murders like this that just reinforce the fact that there are a heck of alot on people in this country (mostly men) who have very little regard for other human beings... or even their own pitiful lives.