SAU Community

Headlight problem (hid & standard)

One of my hid lights seems to be...not HID.

The brightness & colour seems to be that of a normal globe.

On rare occasions or if you give it a kick, it will go into HID mode.

Wiring/bulb/any other suggestion? not too sure how the hid's work.

Also with the standard headlights, sometimes they'd both come on straight away, other times they needed to be switched on and off quite a few times. Shitty wiring or something?

I find it strange you have 1 hid and 1 not hid.

What do you mean HID mode? What exactly happens?

HIDs should come on, mine start up like they flicker hard, then not as bright very quickly, then they take a little while to warm up all the while increasingly getting brighter. Are you sure it's doing this?

Can you find 2 ballasts?

As for them flickering if they're HID and they flicker on they might not be getting enough current.

One of my hid lights seems to be...not HID.  

The brightness & colour seems to be that of a normal globe.  

On rare occasions or if you give it a kick, it will go into HID mode.  

Wiring/bulb/any other suggestion? not too sure how the hid's work.  

Also with the standard headlights, sometimes they'd both come on straight away, other times they needed to be switched on and off quite a few times. Shitty wiring or something?

You will find you have a crook switch .

Yep - mine does that one light, then 3 seconds later, the other comes on.

Might be able to pull the switch apart and clean the contacts... or put up with it like me because i'm lazy ha!

I replaced my switch because of the exact same problem... with a genuine Nissan switch setting me back about A$150!

I replaced my switch because of the exact same problem... with a genuine Nissan switch setting me back about A$150!

Justin , i can get it cheaper in Australia , i replaced one a couple of years ago in an r33 for about $75 .This is just for the light switch though not the complete assembly that would include the wiper switch as well

Someonestolecc-

hid lights are installed and they both have that box thingymagigy.

One of them refuses to light up and charge as bright as the other hid light.

The brightness of it looks as if it were a standard r32 headlight.

Can anyone point me to some tech info on the hid lights?

• 8 months later...
Im having the same problem. My HID's are flickering and sometime seems to be brighter than others. Any ideas?

i have a similar problem. and i have found the problem.

at 1st i through it was an grounding issue so me and my dad cut the wirers and added some more hardcore ones and change the grounding point.. but this solved nothing

i think found it was the little red fuse box. i found that the fuses inside had become loses, so i push them in and it fix the problem for abit but now i have a issue with the wiring going into the red fuse box, if one of my headlights go out i just open the bonnet and move those wired just alittle bit and it comes back on straight away.

Also when one looks brighter than the other, its cuz its not getting full power, which i found in my case is the fuses and the wiring into the little fuse box.

I havn't fit the problem but what i will be doing is getting a better fuse box, one which clips the fuses in better and redoing the wiring into the fuse box

hope this can help your problem :)

here is a photo of the problem

dsc00118medium2ce.jpg

dsc00119medium2pk.jpg

I've almost find that the problem has increased due to my bumpy coilovers

cheers michael :)

p.s i have the same HID kit, as you damono

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers Michael, your a legend, ive been having problems for ages with this and last night i was driving down the freeway with my hids constantly flickering so people thought i was flashing them. Finally my right one went out

Will check the fuse box/relays now.