SAU Community

$1750 For My Full Exhaust, Problems with my Dump Pipe

Cubes

I had 3" Exhaust done from the turbo back as in the sig below.

Does this dump pipe look like they have used a little to much pipe then brought it back on its self in turn creating a V right in front of the exhaust wheel?

Hence possibly causing more of a restriction than the stock dump pipe?

It is a real noticeable V when you run your finger a long it. There are also lots of blobs of welding slags.

So what do you think ppls should I see if they will fix it up?

On their show floor they had a dump pipe sitting there that was extremly well made, that they made.

No obstructions in air flow and a very smooth finish. No V's!

I'm asking you blokes first as I paid $1750 for this exhaust.

I would be jumping up and down why didn't you get a jap one you could of had and brand new jap one for that money. and peopel say use the local product when it comes to exhaust the japs make the best and gues what they fit in 10 mins and never rattle or groan

meggala

fark my rb25 turbo is on full boost by then and the exhaust wheel is heaps bigger did you check you turbo when you pulled it off the exhaust wheel should be quite a bit smaller than the vg 30 turbo.

where as the rb 25 one would only be slightly smaller 1mm

cheers

Joel,

If you paid that sort of money then I would expect a much better job than you have recieved. I had a full system put on including dump pipe with separate wastegate pipe, hiflow cat and stainless 3" muffler for just over $1000. Just go back and say that you do not think that the exhaust is very good and whether they wouldn't mind fixing it.

It always pays to be nice at the start, then if they prove to be wankers then you can start ranting and raving. All the exhaust should be mandrel bent, and you should have no restrictions in the 3" exhaust.

Good luck.

See'ya:burnout:

The Exhaust i wanted was a 3" From the turbo back in Marine Grade stainless steel. It also is Mandrel Bent.

What exactly is Mandrel. Is it supposed to have quite a few welds. Like bits of pipe welded everywhere.

Just in the dump pipe its self I've got like 4 or 5 welds going to the cat.

why stainless joel do you plan on keeping the car for 10 years +

yes mandrel bends mean the same internal diameter and yes quite often there are some cut when it is doen by some one with out and proper template like hks or apexi or trust..

meggala

look at the design of my n1 I got it second ahand see how the thing flows so well and I have no dump or front pipe.

the old one is at the rear the new one is at the front

exhaust.jpg

I am an idiot. I realised after I got the thing.. :P

They also apparently resonate more.

I was looking at the stock VG30 Dump pipe and it actually looks very well flowing appart from the Wastegate that has very little room to flow and you can see how it would create a bit of turbulence when it opens.

Joel/Meggala,

I thought mandrel bending involved using a block inside the pipe so that as the pipe is bent then it keeps the bend at a perfect diameter with no folding where the bend takes place. I don't see why there should be any welds whatsoever, except where they join flanges together, an these welds should be ground back both on the inside and outside.

Joel, don't be too hard on yourself, we've all made mistakes with our cars, but if your not happy with the workmanship then let them know they might be willing to fix it.

See'ya:burnout:

That 'V' is at the mouth of the turbine not the wastegate right?

If so, that isn't real good for your top end power and might slow spooling down a tad.

If they advertise a dump pipe (showroom style) and you say "I want that one" thats what they should give you. Be diplomatic about it and they might just fix it free of charge.

Don't go doing the sepparate wastegate pipe if you redo it they are not as fab as some make out and can cause further problems.

Joel do you mean there is welds by each of the bends, ie in front and behind a bend they may have used bends and welded them together to make the exhause. That is what i do. If you didnt live so far away id have a look, my exhaust full cost me under 300 to make full turbo back with satinless can, i dont have a cat on at the moment.

If you are worried about the dump pipe get the die grinder out and clean it up a little.

It looks like they have used to much pipe and it steps up say 10mm past the bottom of the flange then they have used a small piece of pipe and welded it in angled down to meet the bottom of the flange.

The resonator dosent look like stailnless thats why there is the black paint there hard to tell though.

I wouldnt worry too much about the dump pipe, there would be very little restriction and it would be better than the stock one.