SAU Community

Ignitor Coils... Difference between S1 and S3 R33 GTST

Scooby_Steve

Hi,

Just wondering how you can determine the difference between a S1 and S2 R33 GTST ignitor coils?

I've read the S2 are slightly different. If anyone has any pics of a S1 and S2 ignitor coil could you please post them or put a link to them.

Reason why i ask is because I'm pretty sure i need new ignitor coils but I am unsure if my motor is a S1 or S2 even though the car is a S2 (just the thought of an engine replacement).

Thank you.

Regards

Steve

I know the coils on the s2 "piggyback" a metal mounting system, as such to prevent shorting out from cracking the coils from over tightening. pretty sure with the series one's each coil is one assembly made entirely of plastic, hence the possibility of cracking. I think cracking is more or less impossible on the s2's, given their design. and yeah, no ignitor box, just a connector (at the rear of the valley cover).

That's from my small amount of experience. hope that helps with your diagnosis.

Hi,

I've taken out my coils but I left my camera elsewhere but my coils look exactly like the ones in the pics on page 2 or 3 of the "missfire @ 4500rpm" thread". Is that enought to distinguish a S1 or S2 motor?

Also from looking in the engine bay, cannot see a little black box on top of the valley cover but it could just be me not knowing what i'm looking for. Any more help would be great.

Thanks

Regards

Steve

I don't think there is any apparent physical difference between the 2 types.

At the rear of the valley cover, there may be 4 bolt holes. This is where the ignitor should ordinarily sit if you are running S1 coils and an ignitor. If you just have 4 bolt holes, then you are more than likely running S2 coils.

I have mine out ATM (engine being re-built), so I'll try and remember to get a part number or something off them tonight (they are the in-built ignitor type, but from a Stagea).

I know the coils on the s2 "piggyback"  a metal mounting system, as such to prevent shorting out from cracking the coils from over tightening. pretty sure with the series one's each coil is one assembly made entirely of plastic, hence the possibility of cracking. I think cracking is more or less impossible on the s2's, given their design.

S1 and S2 coils are all like that, even RB20 coils.

The cracking is nothing to do with overtightening, they crack b/c the plastic becomes fatigued and brittle from age and the temperatures under the cover.

The reason why there are less S@ R33's and R34's with cracked coils is b/c they are newer. This problem is not isolated to Skylines, it can happen to any coil on any car.

S1 and S2 coils are all like that, even RB20 coils.

The cracking is nothing to do with overtightening, they crack b/c the plastic becomes fatigued and brittle from age and the temperatures under the cover.

The reason why there are less S@ R33's and R34's with cracked coils is b/c they are newer. This problem is not isolated to Skylines, it can happen to any coil on any car.

Ic... well yeah as i said i dont have much experience, that's just what i deduced from pics i'd seen of coils on other models, and that people said they could crack if you overtightened them :confused: sorry if I gave anyone a bum steer.

I just ran the exact same search I did this morning, and now it came back with results.... go figure. but yeah I always find it's easier for the people helping you if you post a linkie :D

RB25DET coils don't appear to have a Nissan Part#. Only marking I can find (remember, these are off a Stagea RB25DET) is:

HANSHIN

MCP-1330

RB20DET coils appear to be Nissan P/N 22433-60U02