SAU Community

Wat BOV wll hold 18psi - 20psi

hey guys this has probably been drilled to death this topic, just want to know if anyone knew what bov will easily hold 18 - 20psi without leaking, and is preferablly plumb back, is the greddy type s any good cos to me it just looks like the stock one, what about the hks ssqv? the car is going to be a drift car soon, is it necessary to put a bov on? will pluging the hole up do any harm to the turbo or the engine?

regards luke

GTR Bov's differ to that of the std RB20/25DET bov?

Theoretically the stock single turbo bov's should hold well as they have a boost feed that applies pressure on the opposite side of the diaphram to hold it shut.

ok cubes, so your saying with running more boost it should still hold the bov shut the same as running 2psi, because it has a pressure on the back of the valve holding it shut, and this pressure is determined by how much boost you are running? is this right

• 1 month later...

the only time the factory bov MIGHT have a problem is being able to "VENT".

say you have are making a shit load of power using a large turbo which is gulping in masses of air... then during gearchanges, the sotck bov might not be able to "VENT" enough air and you will have reversion.

but the bov doesn't leak or open.

as stated above... it has a spring pressure, PLUS, even boost pressure on both sides of the diaphram.

well what can my problem be if its not the bov, when it was getting dynoed they could not hold 18psi at all it would spike there then drop to around 12psi, what could be causing this but a leak as they checked all the intercooler pipes for leaks and they said there was none, could my actuator be stuffed? i just blamed it on the stock bov because its the only part of the pipe work air can escape. my turbo is a highflowed job and should hold 18psi??