SAU Community

Oz Vs. Japs

Performance (Bang for Bucks) Oz vs. Japs?  

201 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

But im curious, what have you done to the brakes and susp to get the times out of it at Mallala. Im lookign to get a novated lease and if i could get a car that could cut some decent times then ill jump at it. I was thinking more monaro then XR6, as whilst i have been in one that went well for a stocka, it didnt scream potential fun track car thats all.

You havent commented if you are keen on the Mallala day?

My car is by no means the quickest, but it takes a pretty well sorted GTR to be quicker :P

If I can get the time or a reason to go out there then I would love to, I doubt I'll get either but we'll see what happens. I'd love to match my car up against some imports!

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't find the list of handling/brake mods on your car, can you please list them again?

Roy: what novated leasing company? I think we've been through this before but i have my GTR on a novated lease. If they won't let you do a novated leas on a GTR, ask about associate leases.

Edited by ferni

Can't find the list of handling/brake mods on your car, can you please list them again?

Roy: what novated leasing company? I think we've been through this before but i have my GTR on a novated lease. If they won't let you do a novated leas on a GTR, ask about associate leases.

Ferni you're just lucky. Don't know anyone else on a novated lease for a car older than 1 year.

Go the HSV DTS ROY!

:unsure: They are good things. but i aint handing over most my wage just to afford one. Ill stick with the little '32

462Roy_Turn_2.jpg

462Drags_Rear_QTR.jpg]

THE RB20 CAN NEVA LOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

edit...LOL, shamelss posting/whoring pictures of my car on the web :huh:

Edited by Roy

hehehe. Yeah good point. I reckon the DTS will set you back about 63Kish after bargaining. 53Kish will get you a Typhoon or clubby.

Since you got the R32 might as well stick with it and save your money. My car is costing me a fortune. About 1.2K per month after tax.

Roy,

MSpec was replying to this:

"If I can get the time or a reason to go out there then I would love to, I doubt I'll get either but we'll see what happens. I'd love to match my car up against some imports!"

My car is costing me a fortune. About 1.2K per month after tax.

eek, that sort of dollar figure scares me

Oh well, have to see if anyone else is keen on Mallala, sad old drive by myself, and its always fun to talk rubbish at the track with like minded ppl.

..and thanks for the translation Vuster :rolleyes: The reason my car is so slow is mostly the tool behind the wheel isnt that quick :unsure:

Edited by Roy

Roy,

MSpec was replying to this:

"If I can get the time or a reason to go out there then I would love to, I doubt I'll get either but we'll see what happens. I'd love to match my car up against some imports!"

I was trying to say the point of going to the track was because you are going, he has said many times he would love to school a GTR or two. You offered to make the long drive, yet he has no reason to turn up?

Whilst im drinking the bosses grog, and whoring like a champion...ill whore some more photos...

Track Day Rule NO.1

If you can drive the thing home then you aint trying hard enough....an angry Mrs waiting at home is the only acceptable excuse for not braking your car at the track

Winton_Trouble.jpg

Edited by Roy

I won't just gun for a slower car than mine, I like to test my driver skill by looking to keep up with quicker or evenly matched cars to mine. If any of you have a GTR or GTS-t that can beat my car then good on you. I wont just up my power figure to 1000hp with 3000Nm of torque, I really don't care. I won't defend my XR6T against a faster Nissan. I love imports also, Evo's, GTR's etc. I was as closed minded as you were about my choice of car, but when I had to pick a demo car that people were going to begin modifying I picked the Falcon. And since it surpassed my expectations so wildly I just thought I'd educate you people on the potential of these cars.

Your interperation of posts is rather strange.

Believe me I am not close minded, there's nothing more I would love than a nice LS2 V8 with the APS twin turbo kit bolted on.

I bought an import and sold my mildly worked up VS 5ltr 5speed 3.5years ago as I required a car that was cheap, went well, had potential and most importantly good on fuel as I was heading off to full time study at Uni. I also wanted to have a play with turbo.

Upon purcahse of the VS Commodore I looked at EL V8 5speed Fords.

The problem was trying to find a 5speed V8 96-97 model was impossible. I didn't want the XR or SS's as the insurance for the 'sports' was stupidly high for an under 25.

I know the potential of the ford.. lol Its an awesome car that looks good, there's no doubt about that.

Power to weight, a GTR with ~275rwkw will be on par with your ford. As Ferni stated, PowerFC, boost, exhaust and adj. cam gear saw his GTR to 270rwkw. If I'm mistaken correct me Ferni. :rolleyes:

So how can you say thats slower?? The power to weight is the same?

I wasn't stating to 'look' for a gtst/gtr with the above power, I was simply stating that is the sort of power they will make to be evenly matched.. Power to weight, its not about brute horsepower.

In other words Ferni's GTR would be a very good match out at Mallala or any track for that matter. I would still have to lay my bets on the GTR purely as its 4wd. Not just any 4wd but rwd until it detect's slip then it feeds power to the front.

Edited by Cubes

A fine mist of glycol (stuff in the coolant) is extremely flammable. One reason to run a turbo heat shield. :rolleyes:

In my best yr 2 voice "Yes Mr Cubes" :unsure:

All fixed now, it has heat shields that would rival those shuttles NASA claim to be putting into space... its all recorded in a studio you know

Edited by Roy

Believe me I am not close minded, there's nothing more I would love than a nice LS2 V8 with the APS twin turbo kit bolted on.

I researched getting one of those and developing a turbo kit for them but the traction issues in my Ford would literally be like childs play compared to a twin-turbo V8. If I had the money, I think a privately owned VZ Clubsport Track-Pack would be excellent to modify. I've always preferred the new look of the Ford to the Holden though, anybody agree?

There's quite a few things you can do to help with traction.

Drop a .7 comp cover on the xr6t turbo and it will help smooth out the transition on to boost, helping traction.

A good EBC (AVCR) that can alter boost per rpm and even gear is another option also.

My first step would be to throw on a set of decent tyres, ditch those 225's and see how you go. Drag spec nitto's, Toyo RA1's etc.

Fiddling around with turbine a/r, comp a/r' and a good ebc's would sort traction out, I don't think it would pose too much of a problem for the ls2. It would be awesome. But its only a dream. :rolleyes:

Edited by Cubes

Just a quick side note, not sure if you guys recal but i think it was wheels mag (possibly motor) that clocked an APS modded XR6 Turbo doing 307km/h (307 from memory, to be safe lets say 300+).

Falcon XR6T, out of curiosity, your sig states Last Dyno Run: 339kW, 1242.1Nm. Isnt 1242Nm a bit high. My XR6 Turbo has 303rwkw and only 790Nm. I dont see how your managing to pull so much torque. Also, if you dont mind, what sort of mods are you running on your car? If your engine bay is whats in your avatar then i know its not an APS phase 3, as your intake manifold is std and your airbox is still there. Phase 2, even with a Phase 3 cooler can get you that much power, however you would have had to rebuild the engine to keep that power reliable, as the std pistons/rods etc wont handle that much power and your bound to blow a motor.

Why do i ask you all this ?? End of the day, my Ford is fast, but mate, 4WD GTR will munch us off the mark. Sure we may catch it top end if it hasnt got much work done, but how many people do you know of that will run you to 180 - 200 clicks ??? Furthermore, put somebody in a GTR on the track that knows how to drive the thing, and as much as i hate to say it, we would have NO chance in keeping up to them around the corners. Maybe the straights, but we would get left behind around those twisties.

Dont get me wrong, i love my ford, and personally, i would never sell it for a GTR (mainly due to the fact that im going from new to old) however we still need to give credit where credit is due and these beasts (GTR's) can be dam quick.

As for the rest of you guys, I know this is a skyline forum and i do love my nissans (half the time im driving a 350Z, cant get enough of it), however again, give credit where credit is due. End of the day, an XR6 Turbo thats had an engine rebuild, APS phase 3 kit, Valve springs, modified Auto and a stally, along with some semi's will give alot of GTR's out there a scare in a straight line. On the track its a diff story, being a heavy car and all, but you guys have to admit that this car does have potential.

Anyway, my 10 cents worth.

*Puts flaming suit on* :P

Edited by Mr 350Z