SAU Community

Oz Vs. Japs

Performance (Bang for Bucks) Oz vs. Japs?  

201 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

XR6T, The 360 modena, as you suggested is not speed limitted from the factory, and it doesn't hit 295kays according to gps,

Also have you ever look under one of these car, super-exotic, to see the extent of their makers go, trying to keep the car on the road at 300 odd kays.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

XR6T, The 360 modena, as you suggested is not speed limitted from the factory, and it doesn't hit 295kays according to gps,

Also have you ever look under one of these car, super-exotic, to see the extent of their makers go, trying to keep the car on the road at 300 odd kays.

Reaching these speeds isn't as hard as you think, maybe open your mind a little. I know an owner of a 360 Modena V8 who has done 294km/h in it. A standard R8 Clubsport will do a little over 250km/h so yes, Commodores and Falcons can cope with this kind of abuse.

It comes down to a GTR with around 270-280kw at the wheels has the same power to weight as a Ford XR6T making ~330rwkw.

There is no doubt the GTR with its 4wd and lighter weight will be able to corner quicker, change directions quicker, and get the power down out of the corner much quicker.

The XR6T's 330rwkw power to weight is roughly the same as a R32 GTST making only 250-255rwkw. Roy's 234rwkw's ET being only 4mph lower and on street tyres is a good indication of this.

Then you consider the little GTST's making a shade over 300rwkw with a 5speed will run a low 11, (11.3, I forget the ET) with a set of small slicks.

Weight plays a big role. Much bigger than you realise.

You can't argue with facts. :cheers:

Edited by Cubes

Reaching these speeds isn't as hard as you think, maybe open your mind a little. I know an owner of a 360 Modena V8 who has done 294km/h in it. A standard R8 Clubsport will do a little over 250km/h so yes, Commodores and Falcons can cope with this kind of abuse.

LOL, Funny how you should say that, I've owned a 360 modena and has since sold it waiting for a F430, and I can tell you they do not hit 295kays period, disregarding what the speedo says. I also owned a carrera 4 for a short time and it also doesn't hit 300 kays, to hit 300 kays you need bloody long arse track or big speed bowl, even if you attempt it on public road, you might need about 10 kays of dead strainght road with no bumps, lol.

Also I can tell you this as a fact the carrera 4 took over 1 kilometre to come to rest from 290 odd, So doing this sort of speed on public road is driving beyond your visibility capability.

Fark my audi RS6 has twin turbo v8 from the factory just manage to haul it arse over 300 kays"unrestricted", This figure was achieved by someone else with similar car.

My skyline r33 gtst has over 570rwhp runs out of gearing at 280 odd but it not going to go over 300 going by the way it wants to lift of the road,

At about 270ish every cars in the world hit a brick wall of aero, and the falc. doesn't looks to aero to me, as compared to porsche-ferraris-Audis.

You might have all the power in the world, The one thing you need most to be able to do 300+ is AERO. This is what the Falcon has absolutely zilch.

Mx5's were designed as "the ulimite sports car" (or something) I feel that the japanese, when they want to build a sports car, look at the fundamentals. keep the weight down, good suspension geometry etc. Jap sports cars are usually designed as sports cars first, family car second. as I can interpret it anyway. with the current aussie crop (and the way it's always been since I can remember), it's the complete reverse.

jap sports cars are usually watered down versions of an all out sports car (save the main design ie GTR as to gtst etc)

Aussie sports cars are warmed up versions of all out family cars.

I know that BMW didn't get their reputation for being "the ultimate family car" lol. and if you think beemers are crap, hire out a Z4 for a day!

The focus of jap and aussie cars are at opposite ends of the spectrum. so you have to give credit to the Aussie cars when they can stick it with the big boys in a shootout. but I still know what I would prefer. Aussie build quality is still dubious, and although skylines are becoming more common, they're still far less of a "me too" car than commies and 'coons are.

I tend to feel that jap cars are all together more samuri sword where as aussie cars are more... Conans sword. That can be taken both ways, and the vids of the falcon prove that - man that things got some f**king balls!!! but I still think a gtr would whip it's arse given some corners. "power is nothing without control" etc etc, and the jap sports cars were designed with chassis to handle it.

That's my one eyed jap loving view anyway :) I still luuuurve v8 supercars and there really is no sould like a good v8... and I love v8 commy utes... in black... I would just never expect it to do what the skyline does with the same finesse...

I'd prefer a slim jap over a pudgy aussie any day ;)

hey hungry - did i mention i'm incredibly envious!?!?!?!? yoooou bastage!!! :lol:

Edited by jezzerrr

I also have trouble beliving the 340km/h speed tag - As Roy asked - what size tyres, any gearbox mods? Diff mods? Gonna do some digging around and calulcaitions to see what RPM that would have to be at in a std XR6T for 337km/h

I suspect the G-Tech thing probably says my car can do 280km/h :P

I dont doubt the G-Tech stated whatever speed, but consider the bigger picture, and i suspect its an error in the reading.

The big power CSV Commodore, has something like 340kws was able to pull 29# km/h. It was quick, 20-30km/h quicker then the HSV GTS that did in th evicinity of 26# km/h...but the test driver commented that she was a livewire...adn that was usign 5th gear as the engine didnt have the torque in 6th gear to overcoem the wind resistance etc. A 4spd auto...like i said, dont state it as fact when the means of measurement wont perhaps stand up to scrutiny.

R32s have a shock Cd, and with the power i have its evident once i hit 200k/h, the thing makes plenty of wind noise and acceleration tapers off abruptly. If i was lucky i may be able to do 250-260km/h :P

Anywa, im going to Mallala, will see if i can get a few Vic boys to come, and see how many SA boys we can get a long. There are a few Vic GTRs that you wont come close to...not because its a GTR, but because they are well modded and well driven GTRs. :)

I remember reading an article in MOTOR that was published about a year ago where they took a modified XR6T onto a airport strip and they managed to get 300km/h from it. Can't remember how much power it had though.

The the fastest XR6T down the track a few months ago managed 11.5-11.7. Now it's 10.4, done by a car with about 380rwkw. Saying all that I think the car in question here would be faster than the one MOTOR tested so I believe that FalconXR6T's car will get over 300km/h quite easily.

Edited by Vuster

Roy's 234rwkw's ET being only 4mph lower and on street tyres is a good indication of this.

Having a look at the mph friends are running with 210rwkws, and the fact that i dotn have a boost gauge, only a trick little hose to control boost. I think i was only running 14/15psi so had 215rwkws.

Car is at the panel shop now. New diff, new EBC & 20psi and good RE55s, i want a 12.3 at 118mph goddammit. If i can get my 60ft down to 1.9 then i shoudl be able to get low into the 12s. LOL thing is i intentionally have crappy 60ft times because of RB20 g'box syndrome :P

I remember reading an article in MOTOR that was published about a year ago where they took a modified XR6T onto a airport strip and they managed to get 300km/h from it. Can't remember how much power it had though.

The the fastest XR6T down the track a few months ago managed 11.5-11.7. Now it's 10.4, done by a car with about 380rwkw. Saying all that I think the car in question here would be faster than the one MOTOR tested so I believe that FalconXR6T's car will get over 300km/h quite easily.

Wasnt that the APS car...i think you will find it was manual with larger diameter wheels as well. Someone find the auto gear ratios and diff ratios of th eXR6, if mechanically irts possible, then i suppose its possible that the thing has so much grunt that it can overcome aero, and the drive could be a big enough lunatic to be relyign on twin piston sliding calipers and Ford production car engineering to be up the job of those sorts of speeds :P

yep i remember that, it was 307kph

here is the link

http://www.aps-wrx.com/falcon/avalon/307kph.htm

on Avalon airport strip

I would love to know where it is that a car can wind out to 340kph, regardless of what the car is

yep i remember that, it was 307kph

here is the link

http://www.aps-wrx.com/falcon/avalon/307kph.htm

on Avalon airport strip

I would love to know where it is that a car can wind out to 340kph, regardless of what the car is

As you can see on the APS website the XR6T manual Phase III had 330 rwkw (see dyno graph), and it only struggled to manage 307km/h. (Not to mention a total lack of stability)

An XR6T auto with the same power doing over 330km/h on a open road...someone's telling fibs.

Edited by godspd

As you can see on the APS website the XR6T manual Phase III had 330 rwkw (see dyno graph), and it only struggled to manage 307km/h. (Not to mention a total lack of stability)

An XR6T auto with the same power doing over 330km/h on a open road...someone's telling fibs.

yep at the time I remember reading the drivers comments that it felt like the car was going to literally fall to pieces and it scared the shit out of him