Garret Gt3xx Confusion

PRO_32

Maybe someone here knows?

I've been told that the garret GT30 range is essentially the same

ie GT 30

GT 30 37

GT 30 71

GT 30 40

the last three i can find info on but not the gt30 or is that a generic term given when talking bout any of those three.

cheers

Andrew

its a GT30, they different people slap thier own numbers on the end like

it really doesnt matter. what does is the wheel trim and the compressor map, not the little numbers they all slap on the end of them

Sorry for the slightly off topic post.

For those that have GT30's, did you use a hi or low mount manifold? I know both have been done, but is there any benefit to either the low or high mount manifold set ups?

Also, I've pretty much decided on going with the GT30/40R on my RB25. I currently have the following mods (either on the car or ready to go on the car): PFC, FMIC, EBC, 555cc injectors, bosch 040 fuel pump, Z32 AFM, Adj Ex Cam gear, 3" exhaust with hi/flow cat (i'll be getting a new dump pipe made up). I'll also be getting a Tial 38mm wastegate once the turbo goes on. Is there anything else I'd need to run say approx 270rwkw?

Thanks guys - and apologies again for the off topic post :P

Variations in the GT30R series . Basically there are two turbine variations , The first is the std GT30 turbine , the second is the cropped compromise .

Compressors come from two families , the BCI-18 series which are the propper GT series and CAD (computer aided design) developed with more modern fluid dynamics technology . The second are the old dinosaur T04S types developed in the middle 70's .

Cost difference is due to late designs costing money to develop and like anything that gives superior performance - you pay a premium . Garrett is a business after all . If you want superior results you have to pay for them , same with oil tyres etc

Part no's , these are to note the many variations available for Garrett and everybody else .

Don't let the sharks tell you they're all the same because they're not , they have different characteristics to suit different applications . Do some research .

Cheers A .

So what do you look for in the model coding to determine whether the compressor assembly is the "true" GT series?

As a bit of an aside, I have seen a GT32 listed, which is a plain bearing, internally gated job with the T3 flange, matched to a reasonable spec 71mm compressor assembly. With a 64mm turbine, is this a viable alternative to the GT30 models for Skyline?

cheers

That turbo (GT32) is a problem , it has a twin entry or "split pulsed" exhaust housing and the integral gate looks to only vent one of the two entry passages .

As I said the real GT30R (with the 6 full and splitter blades BCI-18 family GT37 compressor) goes under turbo number 700382-12 or -11 for the 56 trim compressor . The cartridge or CHRA no is 700177-0007 . For the 52 trim version (I have only ever seen this on HKS optioned GT3037's) the turbo number is 700382-9 or -10 . The cartridge or CHRA number is 700177-0006 .

Easy rule of thumb is normally 76.2mm GT37 series compressors come in T04E type compressor covers whereas the dinosaur 7 bladed (full and spliter) TS04 wheels usually live in .70 ARR TS04 covers which normally have 2.5" outlet and 4" inlet .

The stand out is the Ford BA XR6's GT3540R which has an 82mm GT40 compressor in a .50 ARR T04E cover , the integral gate and FORD cast into the exhaust housing identify's that one if its not been altered by sticky fingers !

Cheers A .