SAU Community

9k Us$ And Still No Running Motor!!!!!

I live in the U.S., I have a heavilly modified S13, I have an RB26DETT mounted in the engine bay with the harness wired in. Intake and Exhaust piping to be run shortly.

I have run out of money, and time. I WANT, I WANT, I WANT MY CAR BACK!!! THIS STUPID PRODJECT, ARRGGHH. I haven't driven my car in almost 10 months. And now the winter months are approaching FAST!!

Here's what I need help with. . . Please help Please help Please help :)

I did not receive a set of R32 AFMs with my engine set ( I was promised, and did not receive them, LOSERS LOSERS LOSERS!!!)

I have a set of 70mm AFMs from a quad cam VG30 Maximas.

I also have a set of 80mm AFM's from the Q45

I have an HKS F Con V fuel and timing computer. I do not have the money however to have HKS reprogram it at this time. (that comes later this winter)

Can I make either of the AFM's work temporarily with a stock ECU? Is there an AFM off of a USDM motor that would make a better substitute without reprogramming the ECU?

P.S. I will be running aviation fuel 100 Octane Low lead (that should help even out the bumps eh?)

One more, What kind of MAFs does the GTR use? Are they identical or similar to another RB or Nissan.

I.E. I know that the Z32 is an upgrade for the RB20 and 25 not because of size but because it's hot wire is calibrated higher allowing it to see more airflow.

I almost never see MAFs for the GTR on ebay, however if it can or does use the same MAFS as the RB20, 25 or even the Z32, I could pick those up quickly.

I'm sure you get a lot of fakes, talking about doing their imaginary swaps, or driving their imaginary skylines. But this is for real.

I would love to get some help from some people who really know what's going on.

My importer isn't too keen on helping me through these smaller issues. His solution to problems is to just throw more money at it. Maybe one of you knows enough to help. Thanks again in advance.

I hope I uploaded these pics right.

post-16998-1124502893.jpg

post-16998-1124502939.jpg

post-16998-1124502979.jpg

post-16998-1124503008.jpg

This may help..it may not..i bought 1 z32 AFM off a bloke who had it on his rb20 in a s13 with the stock rb20 computer and it ran fine just a few bumps down low with the power. But he reckons it actually ran ok and was driveable. Im not 100% but arent the rb20 and 26 computers similar...if thats accurate then that might be an option with your q45 afms and it might hold out temporarily.

Just a question here...Why dont you just try and run it with the q45 afms and see how it goes? or have you tried this option already?

Think you need to call out to Cubes or Sk.

Try and run the AFM you got and if, it's really sluggish, send me a pm, as I have a set of r32 gtr AFM in a y pipe configuration to go back into a single pod out in the front bumper.

Good luck.

i think your best option would be buy to std afms r32/r33 (there cheap here in oz $75-100au ea)plus a little postage

DO NOT try and run with the other afms unless you buy a APEXI pfc on which you can select the desired afms from the hand controller (a great ecu and maybe the best for a gtr on the market)$950au

i think if you remove that wing and stripes it will be fixed

LOL, it's a little out there I know it. The car's flat black for now, I will paint it High Gloss black next year. As for the wing, it's a little ricey, but what can I say, I dig it. But hey, I'm going to need a little downforce out here on our circuit track.

Good thoughts. I'm thinking that since either set of afms are larger than stock ones, I should run rich and low on power. That should leave the motor safe while I work out the remaining bugs and tool around town a bit. There's still so much work left to do, and the race/show season is over anywho.

I will probably purchase a PFC in the future (couple years). But for now, has anyone had problems with the HKS computers. It's less flexible, but I should still be able to safely unlock the RB's potential once the car's on the dyno at the HKS dealership.

If all else fails I would like to purchase a set of GTR R32 afms, so if you have a set for sale, pm me with a price.

I'll let you know how everything works out, if you have anymore thoughts please feel free.

THANKS!

LOL, it's a little out there I know it.  The car's flat black for now, I will paint it High Gloss black next year.  As for the wing, it's a little ricey, but what can I say, I dig it.  But hey, I'm going to need a little downforce out here on our circuit track.

Good thoughts.  I'm thinking that since either set of afms are larger than stock ones, I should run rich and low on power.  That should leave the motor safe while I work out the remaining bugs and tool around town a bit.  There's still so much work left to do, and the race/show season is over anywho.

I will probably purchase a PFC in the future  (couple years).  But for now, has anyone had problems with the HKS computers.  It's less flexible, but I should still be able to safely unlock the RB's potential once the car's on the dyno at the HKS dealership.

If all else fails I would like to purchase a set of GTR R32 afms, so if you have a set for sale, pm me with a price.

I'll let you know how everything works out, if you have anymore thoughts please feel free.

THANKS!

If you have the car wired up right it should start without the MAFs pluged in. you can't really drive it like that tho. Just buy a Super AFC and wire it up to the harness and put in your Q45 mafs.

If you dont want to buy the GTR AFMs, maybe get an electronic interceptor which can modify the voltage out from the AFMs to get them to run.

In Australia a electronics store called jaycar ( www.jaycar.com.au ) make a kit called a DFA that costs about $AU80 + $40 for the handcontroller that would fix ur problem. Im sure there are similar things in the US. It basically does the same thing as the Apexi SAFC.

Hell, you could even run all 4 AFMs in parallel with it.

does your bonnet close with the strut brace bend like that??

Yeah, it's a "Trust" Strut tower bar for the S-13. It had serious wear marks under the bend, and I was quite concerned about fitmet. Turn out that with the McKinney Mounts the bar clears by a mile (2" at the closest spot to the motor)

Off topic question. What kind of fuels are you guys running in australia, and do you guys know what they're running in Japan? I talked to my importer and he said that Japan offers 109 octane at the pump. It must be leaded then right? Does that mean that these motors were developed to run low leaded fuels? I ask because I have access to a small variety of aviation fuels. Like 100 octane fully leaded fuel, or 100 octane low lead fuel. Otherwise, the highest I can buy at the pump is 93. I want to run the aviation fuels because I am unsure of my A/F mixture and don't want any surprise detonation. Besides, with gas prices it's actually cheaper right now than the premium 93!!!

Would anyone be interested in trading a pair of GTR afms for a pair of matching Q45 afms. I don't want to resort to that, as they are very expensive over here as well. But if I get in a jam, it could be an offer on the table if anyone's interested.

with a rb26 if you are going for high power i woild be sticking with the q45 afm's.

and just gat a SAFC or as others have suggested a jaycar digital fuel adjuster. I had one of these on my car.

built it myself and it took 5 hours to build and an hour to tune on the dyno.

www.jaycar.com.au

is the website you can buy them from prob $100 us + postage.

the product is a Digital fule adjuster and a hand controller to go with it.

them go here:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...showtopic=61207

it will give you all the info you need on setting it up ;)

Good luck dude, and GET RID OF THOSE STRIPES!!!

geez everyone jump on him at once about the stripes + wing etc. !

Mate, if you have some money you are best off finding a solution for with the Q45 mafs. If not best way to go is to buy some GTR ones as they are pretty cheap, I reckon delivered to you they'd be around $250 USD or less and you can sell the Q45s for more than that.

Danny, only FCON-V Pro has the option to run without Mass air flow meters.

By the looks of your budget left you should just buy some std afms off r32/33 gtr they will plug straight in and work with the standard computer.

I believe when you quote 70mm and 80mm afm you were quoting ID not OD as the vg30(z32) is a 80mm(not 70mm)afm and a pair are good for around 650rwhp plus (a little to big i think for what you want but would work still ) and the q45(infinity) is a 90mm (not 80mm) and there good for god knows (the 1100hp 8sec apexi car runs them) way to big for what you want.

By trying to use a safc or similar device to compensate you will have very poor resolution as you will only be using a fraction of the FSD of the afms and result in very ordinary control. Plus to buy the plugs alone for these units you could have bought one of the std afms anyway plus you then have to solder them in to the harness.

Idealy for the hp i think you'll be chasing for drifting ie 400 to 500rwhp a APEXI pfc and a set of rb20/25 afms would be the ducks nuts and at around ($150au each and plug straight in toi straight plugs but cant be use with std computer) very cheap but your vg30 afm could work well enough with the pfc also (after fitting the new plugs to the harness).

pete

I feel a little silly for being short money to buy these relatively simple yet important parts. I have changed plans several times.

The original plan was to put in an rb25, which I had already purchased. The company that pulled the motor threw in some free extras like, busted connectors and about 3 quarts of water in the motor!!!! I sent it back

That's when I decided to just go balls to the wall and just get the 26, It took 4 months and 3 engines to finally get a good motor. Now my timetable is completely shot, especially since I was promised many parts and did not receive them. Of which BOVs and MAFs are on that list.

I THANK YOU ALL for your input, I know what my options are now.

Thanks for pointing out the resolution issue PNBLIGHT, as I have no intention of going over 500rwhp and will want the fine tuning.

I would like to extend my offer one more time. I have two q45 mafs and two pigtails to go with them. I am willing to make a straight trade for two GTR mafs and pigtails.

What forum should I make this above posting in?

Thank you all again for your help, even if it was to paint over my stripes LOL.