SAU Community

Advice Wanted

MrGTST

Hiya,

I am currently running my 95 R33 series I with the only mods I am aware of being A full turbo back HKS exhaust and HKS air pod.... I am very happy with both of these ......

I am looking at buying a second hand GTR cooler and an apexi AVC-R to install at the same time...

My questions are if I install both the cooler and boost controller along with my mods I already have what could I turn the boost up to safely ( still wanting a decent increase though ), I was thinking around 12 ish???? ( its around 7 standard isnt it??? ) ...

Is it worth turning the boost up that much ... ie will I get a noticable increase in power ???? ....

And is there anything else that should be improved if I was going to go ahead with the increase in boost????

Thanks

Brett

If you are running a stock Turbo then leave your boost at about 10.5-11.0 as the stock turbo can only handle 12psi (and no point running it constantly at full boost).

I've got a '95 S1 which has done 65,000km and purrs like it should. Cat-back exhaust, FMIC, boost controller and a HKS Airpod.

@ 7psi i got 169rwkw

@ 12psi i got 192rwkw

So u could expect similar results from your mods.

I have a dual boost controller on my r33 s1 and run 13.5psi Hi and 9 psi low the standard turb on a s1 is good for only 14 psi and thes td turbo on a s2 is good for 12 psi due to its plastic inlet wheel.

my only problem is on a hot day I hit the fuel cut defender on my hi boost setting.

Damqik

Thanks for the replies.....

With the AVC-R I am planning on having the two presets at something like 7 psi for normal driving which should be what I am running now I guess.... and the second preset at about 12 psi which I only want to use when I want to blow someone away at the lights :) So I dont really have to worry about running too high a boost over a long period of time as it will only be used in short spurts....

You can run the turbo on 13.5 no worries, but the car is gonna run real rich, therefor your power increase aint gonna be that noticable. Better off getting some sort of ecu, S-afc.

And trust me, You'll never run low boost for "normal driving"

Ahhh crap.... If I get a S-AFC as well then I will have to find a home for that also!!!! I don't really want these Apexi computers visible as I believe they will be a huge theft magnet. Hmmm I am going to need to do some more thought on this :P

Yeah I was thinking along similar lines.... I am wondering if I can fit both the S-AFC and AVC-R in the glove box... then all I have to do is open the glove box when I want to change the boost....

Hehe I can picture it now..... You pull up at the lights and there is some nutter next to you wanting to give it to you at the lights and the first thing you do is jump for the glove box!!!! He would be thinking WTF :confused:

hehe that would be cool... :P

On the other hand you wouldnt have a glove box anymore but who really uses it anyway!!!