SAU Community

Swat Tuned Gtr Ecu?

liber8_d

(Car is 1990 R32 GTR, recent import. Mods: cat back exhaust, pods, EBC)

I just pulled the panel off in my passenger footwell to access my ECU (about to put PowerFC in), and found my ECU has a SWAT sticker/badge on it.

After a moments dreaming my car had been used by the U.S. 'Special Weapons And Tactics', I thought I'd try to find out what this was.

Now after a search I know SWAT stands for Stagea Web for Advanced Tune, and is apparently a Japanese tuning house for Stageas. Thats all I found.

Has anyone ever heard of these guys tuning GTRs, as thats what I assume a sticker on an ECU means, and what is the overal opinion on their quality of work etc?

Thanks in advance guys.

Ive recently seen a SWAt sicker on a stagea, cant remember where it was though... maybe on the 260RS that was in Speed mag a month ago? Ill have a look tonight.

Remapping R32 ECU's is easy and very common. Some workshop (SWAT presumably) remapped the ECU. This usually means slightly too much ignition advance for our 98 ron, they have 100 ron. So be carefull and watch the knock levels. Best to whack it on the dyno and check the A/F ratios as well, they can be a little lean.

:P cheers :huh:

Thanks for your comments guys.

I now believe that SWAT is an owners group or club, but now I'm puzzled as to why my car's previous owner had a Stagea club's sticker on his ECU of all places. I mean, fair enough if he has a Stagea or likes them, he could have put a sticker in his window, or on his dash or somewhere visible, thats the point of stickers right? But on the ECU which is behind a panel?

I'll have a look at the ecu and see if I can tell if its been fiddled with(I've been told what to look for), and I'll let you guys know.

By the way, I'm thinking about getting a Stagea when I finally cave in to family pressure and sell Godzilla, but just dont tell the GTR guys!

Edited by liber8_d

Well i looked in my issue of Speed magazine (the pink one with the story on the SAU-Vic Great Ocean Road cruise..

And the 890kW 260RS Stagea has a big SWAT sticker on the back...

That website is pretty funny

2006.6.19 The mini- tour which eats marine products ones was

The same place as last year? It seems that is (laughing)