SAU Community

R32 Gts-t Driving Lights

Lithius

Hey there, finally got my little '89 r32 gts-t registered today and was driving it home when it became dark so I decided to switch my lights on. As it got darker and darker tho I realised my driving lights were totally inadequate... Ie they barely light up the indicators infront of me, and I can't see anything beyond 10 feet ahead. They're just really really dull and faded, the headlights seem to work fine tho. Is it possible the plastic is just dirty? (I read threads about cleaning them) Or is there another possible reason for them to be so dull?

Also when I'm on high beam is it normal for the driving lights to turn off?

I read there're different styles of lights so mine has; parker lights on the outside, then these little circular ones that give a blueish light, then the high beams on the inside.

Edited by Lithius

Could be dirty, (do they look yellowish?), if you need to restore yellowed lenses, i strongly recommend "Meguiar's Plastx Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish" - works awesomely. Could also be wrongly adjusted - if you park a few metres away from a garage door, you might be able to determine if this is the case.

Another thing to check might be your battery voltage, if you have a low voltage for some reason (bad earth, bad alternator) this would cause the lights to be dimmer than normal.

I have an R33, when i switch the high beams on, the low goes off... I'm currently working on a mod so they stay on together.

R32's have the usual glass lense so they don't go yellow.

I do know what you mean, try adjusting your headlights.

Basically the idea is you park 2 meters away from a wall, turn your headlights on mark with your finger the center (or was it the bottom I forget) of the light, leave your finger on your leg as the mark, limp up to the wall and place a mark on the wall.

Align the lights so the top comes level with this mark.

Go for a drive, make sure the lights don't light up the interior of the car infront at normal driving distance. :huh:

You could also try replacing the globes with standard clear items, I a set of globes that had a blue globe, put them in and sure they looked nice with the blue tinge but gave it stuff all light. The conventionals are much brighter.

i know what you are sayin dude cos mine is dull as well and its the projector type... i think these have the tendency to be a little inadequate (or is mine stuffed as well!?!?) as the S13 projector lights are dim as well.... i think nissan didnt design them too well though they look mean in the day time

also yes the driving lights will turn off on high beam cos they are independent to the driving light so nothing to worry there...

"Hey there, finally got my little '89 r32 gts-t registered today and was driving it home when it became dark so I decided to switch my lights on. As it got darker and darker tho I realised my driving lights were totally inadequate... Ie they barely light up the indicators infront of me, and I can't see anything beyond 10 feet ahead. They're just really really dull and faded, the headlights seem to work fine tho. Is it possible the plastic is just dirty? (I read threads about cleaning them) Or is there another possible reason for them to be so dull"?

OKAY - You seem to be describing front fog lights.

* If your 'driving lights' are only seeing 10 feet in front, then normally I'd be sure that front fog lights is what they are!

* Take a close look at the lens, can you see any markings on the lamp?

* If the lamps have a seperate switch, can you see on the switch a 'symbol' or green pilot light??

"Also when I'm on high beam is it normal for the driving lights to turn off"?

* Factory fitted inboard 'driving lamps', seperate to low and high-beam do not switch off generally in that case. Aftermarket 'driving lamps' however, used to aid normal high-beam performance - must have a seperate switch in the circuit, that said, these will only activate if the switch is on, and your ONLY on high-beam via the normal headlight switch.

I read there're different styles of lights so mine has; parker lights on the outside, then these little circular ones that give a blueish light, then the high beams on the inside.

Any pics?

Edited by Keepleft