SAU Community

distorting speakers.

PranK

Hey guys,

I pulled my system apart yesterday, sound insulated the boot, cleaned up some wiring and now when i turn it on, there is no volume until the very end of the volume range (like i can't hear it until its right up) and its VERY distorted... and 1 channel on my amp wont work...

Its all pioneer stuff, 4 ch amp all 6" speakers, nothing giant, no subs atm... everything has been put bacjk the same way (if not better)...

any ideas?

Christian

Double check your wiring.

Then check all the settings on your head unit.

If its all ok then triple check your wiring.

Check everything, power, ground(make sure it is a nice and clean connection straight onto the chassis).

Check your RCA's are in the right spots eg(front - front, rear - rear)

Check the phase of your speakers, positive to positive and negative to negative.

If this doesn't work, then take it to a professional installer who'll probably find the problem inside a minute.

Hope this helps dude.

thanks man.

the only thing i can think of (which would take me ages to check )is my speakers being negative - positive.. but i wasn't sure if that would cause the problem i am experiencing...

What do you think?

It maybe a dead RCA lead if your running off an amp.

But I would do what MUD specified first as there are

more chances of something going wrong there than

the RCA breaking. Did you have to pull hard at any

time to get the RCA through? Try changing the rcas

around to test each side.

Did any wires go through any holes which have the

chassis exposed which can cause it to cut through

the cable?

Could be any of these.

Try looking at these as much as you can before taking

it to an installer (dead money). Might be something you

just overlooked.

Maybe take it to a friend who is into car audio also, I know that usually when I can't figure something out it's because I've looked over it so many times it seems right, where as when a fresh pair of eyes look at it they notice the fault straight away ...

seriously, i dont think so...

i think i may have just screwed a bit of the wiring somehow...

but i'd like to test it in somebodys car, if it does work then i WILL sell it for like $150 (retails for about $250 i think..)

Christian

uh huh, nice constructive addition to the thread, Ryan.

A new problem has arisen, its not a new problem actually, its an ongoing problem but i thought i resolved it before.

I think this is hardware related (maybe my HU or Amp) - every now and then the speakers cut out, but you can still JUST hear music out of them, and they cut in and out... its hard to explain, once it starts doing it, it will do it for a while, but then it could go a few days without doing it again...

crazy ass car!

haha, sorry dude i let my hatred for sony car audio be known everywhere i go i cant help it.

hmm, maybe its either

a) faulty h/u

B) bad wiring (but u just re-wired!)

c) the cars electrics are shonky, need to be re-wired

GTR-80Y has a problem where his speakers only work on one side sometimes, and then sometimes one side cuts out u can hardly hear the music, and then when u stomps on the brakes the stereo turns off altogether and you need to turn the car off and on again for it to work again

R33 GTSt's have shonky wiring me thinks.

now without the EQ it is:

• Pioneer H/U (can't remember the model number but it was like $450 a few years back)
  • Pioneer bullet splits at the front (currently only the midranges are hooked up cause i am trying to find somewhere to mount the tweeters)
  • Crappy Panasonic 2 way 6" in the rear... waiting to make a custom parcel shelf for my 6x9's
  • 4x150 Pioneer amp

no subs atm.. the stereo is pretty basic atm, its not a priority in my car.

thats why i am so confused, its not like there is much to break.