SAU Community

Airbox Vs Pod

Jim

Been an issue for a long time...as in vic can only have 1 intake mod.

Has any1 with 250rwkw + seen any benefit/difference from having a high flow filter

in a standard airbox on an r33 as opposed to a pod filter with or without snorkle?

Any 1 done some dyno runs ??

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont have dyno info,

but dont put on a pod without a heat shield, you will definately lose power if its judt ditting there in the hot engine bay.

stock airbox with panel filter and cold air pickup pipe is usually the most effective value for money

• 1 year later...
is there a difference b/n the gtst and the gtr stock box? in the r33 especially.

no. I run over 250rwkw.

Wack in a hi-flow panel filter and u will be set. I was convinced that unless u have a sealed box...ur just wasting time. Mine was loud and annoying...also a cop magent...stock box is quiet...and stealth.

I use a Trust Panel filter...works a treat. Dunno how much they cost but a K&N would also be fine.

Although I'm designing a new snorkel for the stock box...we be finished in a few weeks...will post pics. But its runnign fine as is right now.

KJ

Hi there,

I did it on the dyno and absolutely NO difference. 254 rwkw power runs - stock airbox with K&N flat panel filter one run, then we removed the top of the airbox and flat panel filter so NO RESTRICTION WHATSOEVER and the same 254 rwkw power output - both runs done with the BONNET UP so no temp differences either.

The turbo is 2835pros kit so has fabricated aluminium turbo intake pipe which mates up with the stock airbox.

Around these power levels pods are a waste of time/money unless you like to hear the turbo/blow off valve - and in a lot of cases poeple will see a decrease in power due to the engine sucking hotter air.

Cheers

Edited by gtst25

it would be ok having the pod sitting behind the front bar low to the ground? thats what i got and it's barely even dirty after 1 year, then again i never travel on dirt/gravel/sand roads, the only thing i do is avoid puddles or where theres to much water build up on the road. Sometimes the sounds gets very annoying and I wish i still had my airbox

Edited by Hulk1010

Good to see some others making more power than I was at the time come to the same conclusion as I.

I ran mine back to back on the dyno ~5yeares ago. Stock airbox vs K&N pod. There was no difference in power output.

it would be even better having the open top type filters sticking low and just behind one of your front bar slots. In a S2 R33 with front bar (stock) after doing FMIC it is possible.

people have had issues with direct mount pods like this...too much air at higher speeds. They needed to baffel it to stop issues at 80+ kmph.

That being said..the gain ur gonna get..hmm not too much...stick with stock, get a decent filter, protect ur engine from crap and avoid another defect, oh an piss of they stupid whoosh sound..lol.

thats good to hear. especially as i've just ordered a apexi panel through kudos motorsports:P .

always wondered if its possible to do a CAI on the stock box. is this what your trying to achieve chris? any one else done this? pics would indeed be helpful :no:

andz 69: i guess it dependes on how much power they're running (which i havent a clue about). we are talking performance benefits at power levels of bout 200-300kws though

Edited by Basti

I pulled off the pods and got a hold of an airbox and k&n filter simply because,

it's my daily driver (don't want to risk defect),

Pods are illegal in NSW and can't be engineered unless fully enclosed(too much stuffing around),

heatsoak in traffic.

personally I'm not convinced of the pod style installs where they just sit in the bay. I have done this to a few cars an recently just returned them to stock which better filters and intake pipes.

As long as an air filter and box is properly sized for an application, the lost airflow will be very minimal. I haves een some1 do actual testing but cant find the link.

If ur worried build a new lid for ur stock box and feed more air into it with a new snorkel...looks stock. In fact thats what I'm doing.

My 2 cents

1. Air Box fanboy here....just look at the mines GTR

2. Pods are really only useful IMO when there isnt room for an airbox or it isnt suitable for plumbing.

3. I fail to see how a pod on a intercooled car will effect the inlet temps inside the cylinders....maybe a poofteenth of a degree once its passed through the intercooler? I can understand sucking in 15 degree air compared to 50 degree air will differentiate as the intercooler can only do so much in the amount of time it has an air molecule going through it, but with the forward acceleration of the car colder air from infront of the car should go into the pod, and I doubt that a majority of the hot air from the engine bay will get into the pod as it will most likely go out the top of the engine bay and over your window / into your vents etc....

the air that actually hits parts of the motor etc will bounce proportionally to the parts it hits.....

Therefore I fail to see air that is being slammed into the front of a vehicle travelling at XXX km/h when it has little velocity before it hits the car will have less of a chance to get into your air intake than the air that is rushing to the back of your engine bay and out of any gap it can find (as mentioned between ur bonnet etc)

my 2 cents of keyboard warrioring at 1.30am :no: