SAU Community

Airbox Vs Pod

Jim

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi ppl,

Just about to purchase a series 2 R33 (very stock). I took it for a test drive the other day, and before hand when the hood was opened, I noticed the guy had put on a pod. Being a first time turbo driver, once the car hit around three grand, this annoying sucking sound started to happen. I've noticed it with other cars before and have hated the sound of it in unison with a BOV...so my question is; Would noise be reduced if I were to purchase something like this

and insulate it in some way? Then again, would this reduce airflow significantly and be totally useless? Should I just hunt down a standard box.

cheers!

The above link you posted doesnt work, but im assuming if its just a pod box or something of the sort then the sound will still be there, you'll have to throw on the stock parts for that to go away.

yeah m_7581, if you seal off the pod, or even just get the std air box for the 33, u will no longer have that sucking noise.

however, why dont u like that noise? i put my std box back on but i want that sucking noise back....is there anyway of modifying the std box to create a similar sucking noise?

Kind of off topic, but what have people who have just jap fmic kits installed on r33's been doing with their airbox. On mine the intake snorkel that runs to the box had to be removed to allow the intercooler piping to pass through. I just bought an apexi panel filter, and don't like the idea of running a pod, but I would like to have some way of getting cooler air into the airbox. Do I need an aftermarket airbox, or does anyone sell different airbox snorkels that I could use?

Heat and some time to play around will get you the result you need Mick, plus opening the top of the airbox. Not sure I'll have time to finish since I'm leaving end of Feb and have 5 cars to move to Brisbane and an engine to rebuild.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to bring this thread back alive again, just noticed a couple of pages back that someone mentioned the Victoria legal modifications.

If you do upgrade your intercooler AND you have a ARC airbox is this illegal in Victoria?

Edit: Oops, the rules state that if you have a larger intercooler then you cannot have any intake/exhaust system modifications. I don't get the "exhaust part", doesn't everyone with an upgraded intercooler have an aftermarket exhaust?

I now do understand that you couldn't have ARC airbox + intercooler because that would be an intake modification and thats not allowed with an intercooler (according to that EPA letter on legal mods in Victoria)

Regards,

Gareth

Edited by some_cs_student

Keep the airbox and suitably mod for cold air intake and go nuts with the intercooler!!!

NSW pods are illegal so VIC boys still have a bit more choice?

Pods aren't illegal in NSW. Mine's engineered; afaik completely street-legal. If someone wants to argue; they can argue

with the engineer that said it was legal (I don't really care :laugh:).

Intake mods that don't pass the noise-test and emissions test _are_ illegal in Oz; but then, so are any mods that put

you outside the emissions envelope. You're not supposed to have programmable engine management anywhere; but

there are some folks that are _allowed_ to adjust stuff on the RTA/EPA dyno to pass (how do you adjust non-programmable

management?).

Go figure...

Regards,

Saliya

been said 1,000,000 times. IN VIC u r only allowed 1 intake mod. So u choose, FMIC or Pod. Hence why we have discussion on the stock box. A turbo upgrade is a intake mod. Another reason why hi-flos are a good choice..

Oil Pods are illegal.