SAU Community

R34 Gtt 3" Custom Exhaust

RyanN

will a custom 3" catback exhaust (including a 3" hi-flow cat, everything else res/muffler are 3" straight through) be an ok option instead of forking out a grand and a half for a brand name one?(the custom job was estimated at $800) im hoping to un-restrict the exhaust system without the damn droning sound that you normally get with the brand name aftermarket systems. i was considering Greddy Power Extreme II system, anyone running one of these? sound good, not too loud?

Edited by RyanN

Hi Ryan,

Short answer: "Yes".

Long answer:

The jig-made Jap stuff generally seems to have better looking welds than custom

stuff. There are also generally fewer of them (most exhaust shops don't own

a 3" mandrel bender so they will make a custom 3" exhaust out of 3" mandrel

bends so there are more joins)

There's a case to be made for 'less joins' and 'smaller welds' in terms of flow;

but I'm guessing that the difference is minimal if measurable at all for most cars.

"Droning" is a subjective thing - every exhaust will have a resonant frequency

(and most of them a corresponding RPM that it sounds 'louder' at). Hopefully this

frequency is not at cruise RPMs. Unless you just mean 'too loud generally' -

in this case, adding more mufflers (or using more effective ones) will usually

be the answer. It's a tradeoff between flow and noise - a system that flows

the best is usually the noisiest. I haven't seen the muffler yet that added noise

restriction without also adding flow restriction. If a system is custom you should

be able to add/delete mufflers at will, and your exhaust shop should also have

a pretty good idea about what a given system will sound like _before_ they make

it. Tell them what you want.

The best thing to do is go to a cruise or a track day for your model car, find the

sound of something you like, and see what's under it. Ideally, get a ride in it

if the owner's agreeable so you can hear it at different RPMs. Try find something

that's street legal :P

Regards,

Saliya

thanks for the replies; im awaiting an email for a price on the Greddy Power Extreme II system for a 4dr skyline as i think the website listed the 2dr price which was $799; about the same as the custom which would be alot easier since i wouldn't lose the car for a day. Hmmm, siliences are an ok idea but a cop traveling behind and seeing it will most likely pull me over and canary it, the idea behind the custom exhaust system was to make it look as stock as possible - even with simular dual tips; i'll have to wait till monday for price estimate on the brand name system if it too much i think i'll go with the custom system.

Edited by RyanN