SAU Community

Car Loseing Power, Feels Like Fuel Problem?

hey it happend again tonight!

comeing off an exit onto another highway, i gave it some juice and as i hit the straight the car started loseing power.. then back on.. then back off.. ect! it feels like when u have no fuel left in your tank! bt it was half full!!

could this be a fuel pump issue? fuel filter? also is i bad for the car to be doing this?? will it damaged it?

thanks rhett

could also be an electrical bug too.

mate of mine had a pinging problem yesterday. "usually" fuel related, right? it was actually the knock sensor wire exposed and rubbing on the firewall.

am just saying, dont rule out anything yet........ try all the little things first, and rule them out one by one. (eg. fuel filter etc...)

i dont think it would be fuel filter because its only happening randomly. the car will run fine then when it startes putering.. u put your foot down more and it will keep going untill u take your fooot off n wait like 10 seconds?

Hi champ,

could be your fuel pump or air flow meter.

does it hunt sometimes while ideling. if so take out the air flow meter and give it a clean with carby cleaner. dont touch the wires just give em a good spray.

then reset the ECU by disconnecting the posative terminal on the battery while a mate keeps his foot on the brake. do this for 3 min and then reconnect the terminal and the ECU will be reset.

If thats not the problem it may be your fuel pump is on its way out. is it ever noisy?

don't use degreaser to clean an afm, carby cleaner or brake cleaner

it sounds like the problem is your air-flow meter. are you using a HKS powerflow style pod filter with an oiled foam element?

What happens, is the oil from the pod filter, hits the airflow meter sensor and screws it up, you can't really fix this by cleaning it, when it happened to my car, i needed to replace AFMs (r33 and r32 gts-t afms are the same btw)

so your 32 was doing the same thing?? i do have a pod filter i dont know if its oiled or not... a little to late i just cleaned it.. eeep.. i took it for a test run its working fine though??

well i cleaned the AFM so ill go for a little drive n see if it does it again.. if it does ill do the fuel filter

yeah, my 32 was doing the same thing

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...showtopic=74808

i just dug this up, here is my description of the problem

Someone suggested I change afm's and it solved the problem completely.

I tried cleaning it first, and this didn't fix it, I had to completely replace

hi there, i am having the same problem, and am also trying to diagnose it.

Ok, from time to time, just driving normally, it'll "hesitate" and u litterally loose all power for a split second, then it comes back on. It does this from time to time

when it's bad. it'll do it alot. (like on-off-on-off bucking you describe). and eventually u usually have to pull over.

When i pull over. revs will idle funny - like 1k - 2k - 1k - 2k - 1k - 2k back and forth for a while, and will then either settle down, or the car will stall. Although idle is jumping between 1 and 2k, it's still smooth, when you're standing still, it's not eratic. (does it do this on your car?)

Because it's idling like this, i'm wondering if it might be a Idle-control valve problem, or coolant temp sensor. The other thing i'm getting is an unusually high cold-idle in the morning - this could be unrelated however. I haven't checked for ECU fault codes, but i'll do this tomorrow morning.

I've tried removing the bov and blocking intake off with a plate, and blocking vac-line off, but makes no difference.

-Tim

If you have a friend with an r32, try swapping airflow meters

about 3 or 4 people posted later in that thread saying that they had the same problem and afm fixed it.

Edited by MerlinTheHapyPig

yeah the AFM cleaning didnt work i need a new 1! it was playing up realy bad yesterday i nerly didnt make it up my hill... i noticed that if u pull over and let it idel for 10 seconds it will go back to normal for a wile... u guys niticed the same thing?

'

any 1 know where i could get a new AFM?