SAU Community

Where Can I Get A Water Pump From?

Scooby_Steve

Hi Guys,

Contemplating doing my timing on my '96 S2 R33 GTST. I've sourced the idler and tensioner bearings however is in the process of getting the timing belt and water pump.

The question is....

Where can I get the STANDARD, Not N1, water pump from (one that would suit the RB25DET not the VL RB30)? Would Nissan be my best bet? However, if the N1 water pump is my only option, then where can I get that from?

Lastly, would I be better off getting the GATES branded timing belt or would the genuine Nissan would be better?

Any help would be great. Thank you.

Steve

A standard or N1 waterpump can be purchased from nissan ( not a big diffenerence in $'s from memory ). If you do track work or drive hard, go the N1 pump otherwise standard dhould be fine.

Take your VIN / Chassis NO. with you to get the correct pump.

From what I've heard about timing belts, go genuine nissan unless you're pushing out big power. I believe the "Gates" ones are more noisey and the blue coating falls off.

Hope that helps.

Ive heard the N1 isn't that great for standard cars..flow rates are different etc.

Nissan quoted me $160 for the real pump. I'm not sure some R33s use the same as the VL don't they - I know mine didn't - I didnt replace mine as it was in perfect nick.

i paid about 150 for the standard r33 pump from nissan, considered the N1 pump at the time was about the same price, the N1 flows less at lower revs than normal pump so dont buy it unless u go to the track all the time or u risk overheating in normal conditions.

VL pump fits too u can get non genuine ones from places like auto1 for around $80

Edited by siksII

Hi,

I've heard that the VL pump doesnt have a screw hole where the standard nissan one does.... and this in the long run will allow leakage... thats why i want to get the standard 33 pump... and i dont take my car on track or anything plus live in the tropics so i want one that will cool the car when in low revs... thanks guys

Hi,

thank you... I'll give nissan a go..

Lastly, why do nissan need the VIN/Chasis number to get a pump??

Also anyone know the price of a water pump??

If you are getting a stock nissan pump, the VIN Chassis number will ensure that you get the correct one for your car. There actually are differences between many of the pumps. A HR31 RB20DET water pump is slightly different to a HCR32 RB20DET water pump and so on. The differences are subtle but noticeable. My mate recently replaced his HR31 ( red top RB20DET ) waterpump with a N1 BNR32 ( RB26DETT ) one and the physical impeller difference was huge ! As a result, his engine temp on the track stays the same now, lap after lap. Better engine temp with street driving too.

I replaced my w/pump with the correct one for my car when I rebuilt my engine. The temp gauge never reached half way before the engine rebuild and still doesn't. :D

I changed my pump over 12 months ago with a N1 pump. Price difference wasnt much, but N1 was cheaper than a standard (then), so I got that. I priced them just a few weeks ago @ time of writing this and the price has sky-rocketed to over $300 for a N1 pump from Nissan.

I wouldn't put a VL/R31 rb30 Skyline pump on as the impellors are much smaller than a standard rb25 pump. (Im in the trade and compared all options.)

***A WORD OF WARNING IF CONSIDERING FITTING A N1 PUMP***

If you fit a N1 pump to a GTS-t (mine is a R33) you must fill in the smallest bolt hole which takes the smallest bolt when fitting, which is directly above the impellor, with Devcon (part # S-5), or something similar so that only the bolt will fit through it.

ie: on a N1 pump, there is an elongated bolt hole where the standard pump has a round bolt hole. This hole must be (almost) filled to prevent coolant leaking out. YOU CANT FILL IT WITH SILASTIC OR OTHER GASKET GOO as it will break down over time and eventually leak, and therefore you will have to pull it all apart again and do it properly.

I wasnt told this when purchasing so hence I had to do it twice! :-(

Apparently this hole is used on GTR's.

Just some friendly advice.