SAU Community

Rb25 R34 Gtt Neo Turbocharger

Tangles

As topic says, how can you identify a Neo turbocharger from the R34 GTT Neo, from a R33 GTSt turbocharger?

Ive got a top condition turbo sitting in front of me, meant to be off a R34 and therefore its a Neo turbo & actuator.

Actuator says 28 4 Z06A and ASN 79

Turbo says 45 V 2

back of turbo says 21 U

post-18854-1128658115.jpg

post-18854-1128658256.jpg

Had a lookover the turbo, getting a feel for its condition. Actually I reckon the turbo is in fantastic condition with harldy any shaftplay whatsoever. Got it from a forum member for a decent price, and was heaps easy to deal with.

The front turbine looks to be plastic, so thats what the Neo is, isnt it?

The R34 turbo I had in my grubby hands a little while ago had a black nylon compressor wheel and the turbine housing had stamped OP6 in 2 places. The width of the turbine housing behind the first turbine housing to chra bolt located just after the T3 flange was 50mm.

I've attached a pic where to measure.

21U I am 80% sure that is a R33 turbine housing, that is slightly smaller than the R34 turbine housing I had.

Edited by Cubes

I heard that the R34 GTT turbo is slightly larger, has a plastic/nylon compressor wheel, and is a "wet" ball bearing design.

R33's apparently have a ceramic compressor wheel, and are not ball-bearing?

Feel free to correct me!

All are ball bearing, as all have ceramic turbines.

The R34 also having the 'plastic' compressor wheel.

I think the R33 SII also had a 'plastic' compressor wheel, unsure if it has the larger R34 turbine housing though.

Edited by Cubes

All are ball bearing, as all have ceramic turbines.

The R34 also having the 'plastic' compressor wheel.

I think the R33 SII also had a 'plastic' compressor wheel, unsure if it has the larger R34 turbine housing though.

i checked my old car's turbo, it was a 10/96 model r33 gtst and it definetly had a nylon compressor wheel.

It all looks the same, thanks for the different info guys, thats been extremely helpful. I'll check it over again tonight.

I'll measure it up to see if I get 50mm thickness, and Im sure it has got OP6 in a couple of places.

On one of those threads (for bass junky's sale of turbo) he's got 45V1, where as mine is stamped 45V2 and the pic from Jmac says 45V2 as well.

Hopefully what Ive got then IS the R34 Neo turbo. Just has a different stamp number on the actuator (large 28 rather than a large 29).

Brendan

JMAC - that turbo youve got there - definately off the R34 GTT? Thats what mine looks like. Ive got to measure it up tonight.

Boy this is hard to determine! (without taking the current turbo in the engine off!)

siksII,

What was stamped on the turbine housing? OP6?

Sorry cubes, i honestly dont remember is was about 2 years ago, and the only picture i can find with the turbo in it u can only see the intake side and its too far away to see any detail either :P

But i remember checking the intake blades they were definetly some type of plastic. just by looking u cant really tell but when u touch them u can tell.

my current r33 has stock turbo, but is an earlier model than my old one, this one is an early 96 model(still series 2), i can have a look at the exhaust housing on this one (if i can see it properly!!!) and tell u what it says if you want?

Edited by siksII