SAU Community

Vented Bonnet & Rain

|PRESA|

Just a question, I'm thinking about getting a carbon fibre vented bonnet but how do you stop the rain (water) from getting into the engine bay?

I'm sure once the engine is up to temperature the water would just evaporate once it hits the engine..

But what about when washing your car or something?

You definately wouldn't want the water to leak in from the vents and get the electricals or something, true?!

Any ideas how you can over come this?

i have a vented carbon bonnet and have never had any problems with water getting to any of the electrical components. i would suggest spraying them with something like lanasol though, especially if it is being parked outside. just to be on the safe side :Dpost-16070-1128767407.jpg

I got an East Bear 400R Carbon bonnet, and it came with plastic covers that go over and bolt on covering the vented holes.

Great quality bonnet too.

And problem solved.

(I'd also recomend bonnet pins if you plan on doing any drag or track days.)

post-22012-1128772633.jpg

Edited by CarbonS

I got an East Bear 400R Carbon bonnet, and it came with plastic covers that go over and bolt on covering the vented holes.

Great quality bonnet too.

And problem solved.

(I'd also recomend bonnet pins if you plan on doing any drag or track days.)

If it's not to much of a pain in the a$$.. would u mind taking a photo or two of the covers that are on the vents?

It would give me a rough idea of what I may need to make up :O

Would be muchly appreciate :D

I bought my bonnet through Stephen22 (a member on here) and Jetspeed said they do them too. Bonnet pins would be a good idea as it flexes heaps at speed esp if following something creating heaps of turbulence.

If it's not to much of a pain in the a$$.. would u mind taking a photo or two of the covers that are on the vents?

It would give me a rough idea of what I may need to make up :O

Would be muchly appreciate  :)

Here's a pic for you. hope it helps.

The two little covers go on the top and screw in from the under side, to cover the little vents. And the big cover goes on the underside of the large front-centre vent, where the mesh is held on with 3 screws, you take the mesh out put the cover on, then the mesh back and it's all sealed.

*siddr20 -- it cost me close to 2K, but hey, it matches the boot.

post-22012-1128816883.jpg

Damn each time i see your car it looks better.It was good at SAU show and shine.Good work.

Pressa if all you want to do is create covers for your vents when giving it a shower,then,May i suggest for you to take the mesh off and get another person to hold a peice of cardboard against the underside of the bonnet hole and you trace from the outside a line to cut,number the covers,and make them out of perspex.

Then put the mesh back in and push them in every time you wash the car.

You can make a seal by putting silicone and a rubberstrip arround the edge.If you have ever seen how mirror wardrobe doors are made or showerscreen doors are made then you will know how easy it is to make the rubber option up.

On the other hand somthing soft like silicone would probably suffice.

To make it a tight fit would depend on how much smaller than the vent holes you cut the inserts.

Just some food for thought.

Edited by Trust33

Here's a pic for you. hope it helps.

The two little covers go on the top and screw in from the under side, to cover the little vents. And the big cover goes on the underside of the large front-centre vent, where the mesh is held on with 3 screws, you take the mesh out put the cover on, then the mesh back and it's all sealed.

*siddr20 -- it cost me close to 2K, but hey, it matches the boot.

Doesent that defeat the purpose of haveing the vents like that??

I was looking at adapting a vented section on the stock bonnet to mine, so the bonnet retains its strenght as the cross members dont need to be cut.

Doesent that defeat the purpose of haveing the vents like that??

I was looking at adapting a vented section on the stock bonnet to mine, so the bonnet retains its strenght as the cross members dont need to be cut.

No.............

You use the covers when you park it in the rain or when your washing the car.

You wouldn't use them when your driving.....

siddr20 -- ^^ hmmm from who did u import it thru??

Got 'em from Powerplay in Sydney.