SAU Community

Are R34 GTR's AWD or RWD?

Originally posted by SS8_Gohan

is there a R34 GTS-4?? wow...... never heard of those. If only they'd whack a turbo on!!! :)

yeah.....its an ENR34 as opposed to gtr BNR34 and GT-T ER34..

same as 33 series...ECR=2WD BCNR=GTR ENR=4WD N/A

as mentioned earlier, all gtr's whether R32, R33 or R34 are techically AWD. most of the time when you drive they are RWD, but when the rear wheels starts loosing traction the front wheels kick in until the rears gain full traction again.

if youv ever driven a GTR youd notice that its not hard to get them sideways.

cheers

Filip

• 4 months later...
Guest RedLineGTR

Quote" Correct me if I'm wrong, but the ATTESA system used on the Bluebird and GTiR has absolutely no similarities to the ATTESA system used on the GT-R, apart from that they are in essence both 4WD. The GTR system uses a RWD setup, which when overcome by slip/torque (detected by G meters) it transfers torque to the front wheels, therefore giving 4WD. Whereas, the system used on the Bluebird and GTiR is your simple centre LSD with a 50/50 split front to rear with no electronic variation in torque split (on the auto there was??). In fact, the Bluebird is even worse off then the GTiR as it doesn't come standard with a rear LSD (could be wrong on that). I know I'm probably stating the obvious, as you have fiddled around with your G-TR's system, but the article on the Bluebird ["Family Hauler"] gives the impression that the ATTESA system used is the same as the GT-R, and the only thing the same is the name "

Guest Dragon

RedLineGTR, you will probably find that the ATTESA system on the GTR's are the ATTESA-PRO system.

The ATTESA system on the Bluebird and GTiR is the normal ATTESA system.

The GTR's are RWD untill there is slip, then it will engage FWD.

The Bluebird is FWD untill there is slip, then it will engage RWD.

I am sure it is the same system in the X-Trail (It will engage RWD BEFORE slip happens)

I just wish the ATTESA system was switchable inside just like the X-Trail (FWD-AWD-AUTO)

From what I belive, ATTESA-PRO used G-Force sensors (Two of them, for-aft and lateral) to help the ECU decide how much drive to give to the front wheels.

On the normal ATTESA system, I belive there are no G-Force sensors at all, only a viscus coupling in the center diff.

So what is the system in a X-Trail then.? It has THREE G-Force sensors and a microphone to help the system decide where the drive goes! (For-Aft, lateral AND up-down. Microphone tells the ECU if you are driving on seald road or gravel. ECU also knows that when you have your wipers on that the road is wet!)

Yes, I used to own a Bluebird AWD and a X-Trail. (Untill the X-Trail decided to self combust on the highway!)

Does this make any sense.?

wow didn't know x-trail was that high tech... and wow... such an in depth conversation out of a simple mistake by meggala *coff* :)

Um without going too off topic with the x-trail microphone, wouldn't like vibrations coming out of a subwoofer for example distort the reading?

I thought only the R34 GTR's used the G-Force sensors, or are the R34's the only ones that actually display the G-Force readings and the older versions jus hid them away.

Also, what abotu GTS4's do they have ATTESA? And what is ATTESA-ETS?

All GTR's use the G sensor for the ATTESA system, R32, R33 and R34.

ATTESA is the system on GTR models, ATTESA PRO is the version used on the VSPEC and VSPEC II GTR's, that's part of the reason they're more expensive.

The ATTESA system can transfer drive front to rear, the ATTESA PRO can transfer drive from left to right as well as front to rear.

They've definitly improved the response onf ATTESA as it's gone through it's latest revisions as the current version I have is a step from my R33 and that was a step from my friends R32.

I describe the GTR as rear wheel drive biased 4WD when anyone asks me, as it's been explained by others it drives like a rear wheeler till it's getting upset, then it drives more like a 4 wheeler, but still not as dead a feel as a WRX.

I believe the EVO 7's and 8's feel more like a GTR to drive now as they have a more variable drive system rather than the pure 50/50 of a WRX.

Hope that helps.

Nuthing like hte feeling of riding in a GTR Vspec... Launch it at high rev's and grips like hot sh&t to a blanket, then once 2nd is dropped and a bit of traction is reached youc an feel it start to push power ot the back, then you hit a corner hard and a little drift is felt, only a splite second later the thing grips and feels like its on rails again :) so much fun. Nuthin beats hte variable torque split of the Vspecs either, if anyone every gets a chance to be thrashed around in one take it!! For a car to come out stock form the factory with that sorta performance its amazing and is no wonder why they were banned from racing in australia.

Guest Dragon
Originally posted by funkymonkey

Um without  going too off topic with the x-trail microphone, wouldn't like vibrations coming out of a subwoofer for example distort the reading?

I thought about this too! The only thing I would have done if I was writting the software was to only look for NON repeating sound waves. IE: Listen to random noise, not constant repeating noise.

Plus I think it is more like a Knock sensor then a pure microphone. (Hows does a knock sensor know the difference between subwoofer/tweeter noise and knocking noise?)

I think the sensor listens for the higher pitched noise of stones 'tinkling' against the metal under the vehical.

Canman, learn something new everyday! Thanks for the info. :P

When I drove the new STi, it understeard like a pig, the R34 GTR I drove was a wet dream compared to the STi.