SAU Community

Hks T04z Specs .

I was reading the T04R turbo string and noticed a bit of interest in the T04Z Version .

From HKS the Z version is as follows .

Comp 84mm 63T in .70ARR housing .

Turb 74.2mm 76T in .61/.81/1.00 ARR housing

Claimed power is 700 Hp or PS .

I think SK once said the Garrett GT3540R was good for around the same power so its interesting to note the differences .

The T04Z uses an 84mm 63 trim comp where the GT40 side of the 3540R is 82mm 56 trim . The OD is not much different but the trim jump from 56 to 63 is pretty big and if the aero development is better the pumping efficiency could be as good or better .

The turbine has gone up in size from 68mm (GT35) to 74.2mm but the trim has dropped from 84 to 76 .

Its interesting to note that the wheel diametres make it like a scaled up 2530 and in the same trims too , 63 and 76 . The ratio of turbine to compressor major diametres are very similar as well at 88.3 and 89.6% .

If Garrett have managed to develop highly efficient wheels and kept the innertia down this should be a good thing - I wanna to see the map too !

Cheers A .

I was reading the T04R turbo string and noticed a bit of interest in the T04Z Version .

From HKS the Z version is as follows .

Comp 84mm 63T in .70ARR housing .

Turb  74.2mm 76T in .61/.81/1.00 ARR housing

Claimed power is 700 Hp or PS .

I think SK once said the Garrett GT3540R was good for around the same power so its interesting to note the differences .

The T04Z uses an 84mm 63 trim comp where the GT40 side of the 3540R is 82mm 56 trim . The OD is not much different but the trim jump from 56 to 63 is pretty big and if the aero development is better the pumping efficiency could be as good or better .

The turbine has gone up in size from 68mm (GT35) to 74.2mm but the trim has dropped from 84 to 76 .

Awesome! Cheers for the information, me and some friends have been discussing the T04Z lately. I was just today trying to find out if anyone anywhere had compressor maps for them - partly because the most recent HPI to hit NZ shores (GTR-Special) had an R32 GT-R with twin T04Zs on it.... what a fascinating combination!! :)

In light of what you say about it compared to a GT2530 - it'd be interesting to compare compressor maps, if the "shape" were similar. I had noticed that someone had compared the boost threshold with twin GT2530s...

I have done some searching but can't confirm if the wheels and trims are the same for the Garrett and HKS versions . I did follow a link to an E Bay Ad and it shows the cartridge ID tag but light too bright to read the numbers .

HKS have obviously had their comp cover cast up so there may be differences other than the drilled snout air inlet . I'd like to see the cap screws and snout removed though the internal passages are probably not difficult to re create .

None of the pics I've seen show the exhaust housing so I don't know if it's a special as well .

Since the T04R's have been around for a while there must be some exhaust manifolds for the RB26 , would these be only tubular and hi mount ? In a perfect world cast iron and low mount may be more practical if such a turbo could fit down low in a Skylines engine bay .

Lots of pics of Z's and their manifolds please and the ID tag numbers if possible .

Cheers Adrian .

I have done some searching but can't confirm if the wheels and trims are the same for the Garrett and HKS versions . I did follow a link to an E Bay Ad and it shows the cartridge ID tag but light too bright to read the numbers .

HKS have obviously had their comp cover cast up so there may be differences other than the drilled snout air inlet . I'd like to see the cap screws and snout removed though the internal passages are probably not difficult to re create .

None of the pics I've seen show the exhaust housing so I don't know if it's a special as well .

Since the T04R's have been around for a while there must be some exhaust manifolds for the RB26 , would these be only tubular and hi mount ? In a perfect world cast iron and low mount may be more practical if such a turbo could fit down low in a Skylines engine bay .

Lots of pics of Z's and their manifolds please and the ID tag numbers if possible .

Cheers Adrian .

ok heres what a HKS t04z 0.81 housing says on the id tag..

Model: T04Z

OEM P/N: G1 7202-K0001 0

S/N: IF 0227J

P/N: 740759-5002

the hks version has the split exhuast housing to match the split trust manifold too, but im 99% sure the garrett version isnt a split design.

hope it helps

Brad

the hks version has the split exhuast housing to match the split trust manifold too, but im 99% sure the garrett version isnt a split design.

The Garrett T04Z also has the split design. I post up pictures tomorrow morning of the ID tag & the rest of it - It's off the car anyway so its easy.

Thanks guys good info . I have seen some pics of a version that may have a 7 blade compressor (well 7 full height and 7 splitter blades you'll know what i mean) so something to avoid .

One of the sites mention a twin entry or split pulsed exhaust housing with a twin integral wastegate set up which could be handy if the turbine inlet pressures are not too high .

StageZilla it would be VERY interesting to see the comp cover with the inlet snout unbolted to let on how they did the anti reversion holes/groove . Actually to see it in its raw glory ie housings removed would make the net zing ! Also has your's got HKS cast into the exhaust housing indicating a non Garrett special ?

Cheers A .

HKS had a press release available which showed CAD drawings of the comp cover and its insert. Think of a ported shroud Garrett GT30R cover with an insert over the air gap around the anti-surge ring, and the drilled holes provide air entry/escape to it.

Thanks guys good info . I have seen some pics of a version that may have a 7 blade compressor (well 7 full height and 7 splitter blades you'll know what i mean) so something to avoid .

One of the sites mention a twin entry or split pulsed exhaust housing with a twin integral wastegate set up which could be handy if the turbine inlet pressures are not too high .

StageZilla it would be VERY interesting to see the comp cover with the inlet snout unbolted to let on how they did the anti reversion holes/groove . Actually to see it in its raw glory ie housings removed would make the net zing ! Also has your's got HKS cast into the exhaust housing  indicating a non Garrett special ?

Cheers  A .

well i can pull it apart easy enough but how tight do i do the bolts back up? last thing i want is to f**k it up :P

yes mine has the hks cast into the exhuast housing, and 6 blade compressor :)

107_0733.jpg

107_0734.jpg

107_0735.jpg

this one is next to my stock gtr turbo :P

107_0720.jpg

worst thing with this turbo is having to buy the HKS v band flange and clamp for the exhuast which is another $260 from Nengun.

Edited by StageZilla

Hi StageZilla , I've only ever used ring/open ended spanniards for turbo housing bolts and never stripped or had any come loose . When brand spankers everything's clean particularly on the turbine side so no persuasuon is needed to remove its housing . Turbos are not short of clamping area so their fasteners don't need to be ridiculously tight especially on the compressor side (aluminium) . Most custom installations need them to be backed off enough to index the housings in relation to the core - the yanks call it clocking .

The greatest danger is dropping the cartridge and bending the blades so this is a pre JD operation and need something soft to lay it on .

Thanks for those pics , the things not as huge as I thought in relation to a standard GTR T28 . A T3 rather than T4 flange on the exhaust housing would have made it more compact again though HKS probably intend it to be an upgrade to to the T04R .

Thanks heaps cheers Adrian .

Hi StageZilla , I've only ever used ring/open ended spanniards for turbo housing bolts and never stripped or had any come loose . When brand spankers everything's clean particularly on the turbine side so no persuasuon is needed to remove its housing . Turbos are not short of clamping area so their fasteners don't need to be ridiculously tight especially on the compressor side (aluminium) . Most custom installations  need them to be backed off enough to index the housings in relation to the core - the yanks call it clocking .

The greatest danger is dropping the cartridge and bending the blades so this is a pre JD operation and need something soft to lay it on .

Thanks for those pics , the things not as huge as I thought in relation to a standard GTR T28 . A T3 rather than T4 flange on the exhaust housing would have made it more compact again though HKS probably intend it to be an upgrade to to the T04R .

Thanks heaps cheers  Adrian .

no worries adrian,

also hp ratings are 700hp i think for the 0.81 and 800hp for the largest housing, 1.0

i want response, so thats the reason i chose this over a hks t51R or gt42 garret.

ill have some figures in a few months when the build is finished :(

Thank you also WetGTR , any chance of seeing the compressor and turbine wheels side on .

From the cartridge number (740759-5002) both Garrett and HKS should be the same .

Cheers Adrian .

surely the garrett and hks versions are not 100% exactly the same, could be same measurements on the trims etc, but totally different wheel designs or whatever?

and as ive heard from people comparing garrett with hks turbos, is the hks ones will keep on pumping more hp at high boost, where as the garrett stuff runs outta puff at high boost levels and flattens off.

only time will tell :D

surely the garrett and hks versions are not 100% exactly the same, could be same measurements on the trims etc, but totally different wheel designs or whatever?

and as ive heard from people comparing garrett with hks turbos, is the hks ones will keep on pumping more hp at high boost, where as the garrett stuff runs outta puff at high boost levels and flattens off.

only time will tell  :D

Same CHRA different housings.

Same CHRA different housings.

Garrett "talk" says same core, turbine and compressor. Very minor changes in the housings to justify the inflated HKS price. No real world differences. That may just be the Garrett line, but I haven't seen anything to doubt it so far.

What are you guys paying for T04Z's? The going rate for the HKS T04Z seems to be around $3K and Garrett is around $2.2K

:D cheers :D