SAU Community

Anybody Rebuilt An Rb25det Themselves?

Hi people,

Fairly new here but been reading alot of posts on here and I have to say, I've learnt a fair bit and picked up some good tips on what to do and what not to do.

I own an R33 GTS-T and decided to rebuild the motor. My cousin and I have been around cars for a while now and have rebuilt motors before but have never attempted one of these babies! Managed to resource some parts and contacts, etc but...

--Has anybody rebuilt an RB25DET motor before and if so, have they come across any issues or have any tips for me as we are about to start in 2 weeks.

--Also, has anybody managed to find some good parts (pistons, gasket kits, bearings, etc) and does anybody know of any good brands? I've found it particularly hard to find parts for this motor. It seems easier to find parts for the RB26 motor.

Can anybody help here??

Thanks

gasket kit, Nissan

bearings, ACL Race series, same as rb26

pistons, anything cheap and forged like Arias from Rockett Industries.

I would have said it was dead easy to do, but my rb26 spun a bearing again after only 2000klm...so I guess my advice now is get a good machine shop. I've never rebuilt any other engine to compare it to, but it wasn't a tricky thing to do.

Thanks mate,

Good to know, we will be taking extreme care and I will be getting the block bored out 20 thou for the new Aries Pistons I'm getting. I actually spoke to Rocket the other day and said I could get them for $1080... Sounds pretty good.

Someone said something about torque deck boring where they use a template where the head usually goes and they bolt it to the block while boring.. This stops any distortion problems that might occur if the block is bored without the tamplate head on there because I was told that if you don't do it this way, when the real head is bolted on, the alignments can distort slightly...

I've done a fair bit of homework so hopefully nothing bad happens when I turn the key for the first time!! Think I might have a couple of drinks before I turn the key... just to relax me!! lol..

So those gasket kits, etc are ok?

no idea about the machining I outsourced that. Also had the head recoed.

the gasket kit is a must there are a million gaskets involved and they should be fine everywhere. A lot of people go aftermarket metal head gasket to lower compression but that is a whole other can of worms. The standard gasket is fine at sensible boost levels. I went metal intake and exhaust gaskets but I reckon it is a waste of money.

Good luck.

I've done a few. There are a few extra things that can be done to improve the basic engine.

GTR rods are recommended. Get them sized (if necessary) and crack tested by the machine shop. Should be under $300 for a set.

Get the crank checked for straight by the shop, and get them to supply the bearings. Plastiguaging can be easily mucked up but they do it all the time.

If you intend running high rpm/power or at the track then get the front oil feed blocked to reduce oil to the head. Oil can build up in the head and assist with starving the pickup -> bearings can go. Also think about a sump baffle if you intend to track it as well.

O ring the block as well so the stock gasket can take a significant power increase. Works out less than metal head gaskets.

Get a full balance.

Good luck

Thanks for the info.. I'v e been speaking to a guy from a place called "Salibro or Salibo Engines". He has been extremely helpful and sound like he knows what he is doing.. I'm going to take the block to him and get him to do everything that needs to be done... ie... torque plate boring, honing, dynamic balancing, square decking and much more.. He mentioned something about him doing the bearings but he lost me there..! He was going to do something with them so that they would be 100% reliable when we put the engine back together...

Does anyone know how much the block will have to be bored for a 1st rebuild? I'm guesing that 20thou will be enough.. I can get a set or Aries pistons, rings, etc for $1080... but should I wait until the guy has checked out the block before I go buying the pistons just in case he needs to bore it out more then 20thou?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Latest Posts

• So Bathurst coming up so really need to get this new ECU in. I regret going to flex fuel and all the headaches associated with DBW with cruise etc....a miss the simplicity of Power Fc   I make enough power that I should have just gone back to 98 but...anyway Turns out with the std inlet I cant really go any bigger than 60mm DBW so wasnt able to play with that aspect of the update.  
    • We're bringing Pizzas back!! Pizza Runs, to be specific... We had a practice Pizza Run a while ago, and everyone has been screaming for a proper one... So you've asked, and now we're delivering! Since your tastebuds are tingling, feast your eyes on the event details: Date: Saturday 27th July 2024 Meet Location: Parking Lot - 1 Parkview Dr, Sydney Olympic Park Meet Time: Meet at 5.30pm for a 6.00pm departure Destination: Talotta's Pizzeria, 1-3 Bridges St, Kurnell Map: https://tinyurl.com/saunsw-talottas  We'll meet at the carpark on the corner of Parkview Drive and Australia Avenue in Sydney Olympic Park. When we leave the parking lot, we'll head down Australia Ave, and turn right onto Homebush Bay Drive at the large roundabout near DFO. As soon as we turn onto Homebush Bay Drive, we will be turning left onto the M4 to drive through the new M4/M8 tunnel! Everyone loves a bit of RB action through a tunnel.... We'll exit the tunnel at the Gardener's Road exit, and turn onto Princes Highway, where we'll follow it onto Rocky Point Road and then onto Taren Point Road. Once we reach Miranda, we'll turn left onto Captain Cook Dr, where we'll continue on straight until we reach Talotta's Pizzeria for some pizza goodness!!! There is a small carpark at the destination. Limited spaces are available, but there will be plenty of street parking in front of Talotta's There will be a lead and follow car so no one should get lost. If you would like to attend or bring others along please put your name down and a +1 as numbers will be needed prior! This is NOT a race and we will all be adhering to all road rules. If this is what you want please come to one of our track days. This is an official SAUNSW event and will be run under a Motorsport Australia permit. One of the things that really sets our club apart is our commitment to being true enthusiasts. When on normal roads we strive to maintain good relations with the authorities as well as the public in general. When attending one of Skylines Australia NSW events please try to: • Be aware of surrounding environment and act accordingly. • Drive courteously on the state’s roads as a true enthusiast should. • Understand how important it is to maintain the good name of SAU:NSW and thus, treat others accordingly. • Any misbehaviour will not be tolerated and you will be asked to leave. Thanks guys and hope to see you there!
    • The time has come once again, for another SAUNSW Sunday Session! You all know the drill by now, fam... This is the perfect event to catch up with the SAUNSW crew, hang out for a coffee and a bite to eat, and get in some photos and friendly banter! So without any ado, here are the details: Date: Sunday 14 July 2024 Meet Location: Penrith Krispy Kreme (at Penrith Panthers - Panthers Place, Mulgoa Rd, Penrith) Meet Time: 8:00am Map: https://tinyurl.com/saunsw-penrithkk  This is NOT a race and we will all be adhering to all road rules. If this is what you want please come to one of our many track days. This is an official SAUNSW event and will be run under a Motorsports Australia permit. One of the things that really sets our club apart is our commitment to being true enthusiasts. When on normal roads we strive to maintain good relations with the authorities as well as the public in general. When attending one of Skylines Australia NSW events please try to: • Be aware of surrounding environment and act accordingly. • Drive courteously on the state’s roads as a true enthusiast should. • Understand how important it is to maintain the good name of SAU:NSW and thus, treat others accordingly. • Any misbehaviour will not be tolerated and you will be asked to leave. Thanks guys and hope to see you there!
    • Who's itching for another cruise...?? That's right! You are! And so are we! And what better cruise to run than an Old Pac Run!! So without any ado whatsoever, here are the details for you to save: Date: Saturday 22nd June 2024 Meet Location: Cowan Truck Stop (Pacific Motorway - Refer to Map) Meet Time: Meet at 7:00pm for a 7:30pm departure Destination: Gosford McDonald's (65 Pacific Highway, Gosford West) Map: https://www.google.com.au/maps/dir/Cowan+Rest+Area+-+Truck+Stop,+Cowan+NSW+2081/mcdonalds+gosford/@-33.5145054,151.1875996,11z/data=!4m39!4m38!1m30!1m1!1s0x6b0d50be6b302f7b:0x52a920c40b292919!2m2!1d151.1590113!2d-33.6115097!3m4!1m2!1d151.1632842!2d-33.6047898!3s0x6b0d509345312641:0xb510e358747a5332!3m4!1m2!1d151.2008176!2d-33.5274838!3s0x6b0d4e5adac43725:0x611c05fee203a98a!3m4!1m2!1d151.1925869!2d-33.4598502!3s0x6b0d4926bcb9e627:0xd95f510d7f39b402!3m4!1m2!1d151.2072744!2d-33.4523186!3s0x6b0d49138231a221:0xaf20c78b79e9db5a!3m4!1m2!1d151.2318957!2d-33.4309951!3s0x6b0d4989b4996d83:0xeae9af9b71739b59!1m5!1m1!1s0x6b0d4aaa920441e5:0x33f1be63f4680e2f!2m2!1d151.32463!2d-33.4269!3e0?entry=ttu Definitely an easy one for this cruise, meet at Cowan Truck Stop and jump straight onto Old Pacific Highway! Final stop at McDonald's which has plenty of parking all around. There will be a lead and follow car so no one should get lost. If you would like to attend or bring others along please put your name down and a +1 as numbers will be needed prior! This is NOT a race and we will all be adhering to all road rules. If this is what you want please come to one of our track days. This is an official SAUNSW event and will be run under a Motorsport Australia permit. One of the things that really sets our club apart is our commitment to being true enthusiasts. When on normal roads we strive to maintain good relations with the authorities as well as the public in general. When attending one of Skylines Australia NSW events please try to: • Be aware of surrounding environment and act accordingly. • Drive courteously on the state’s roads as a true enthusiast should. • Understand how important it is to maintain the good name of SAU:NSW and thus, treat others accordingly. • Any misbehaviour will not be tolerated and you will be asked to leave. Thanks guys and hope to see you there!
    • Thanks, I'll have to cobble something like sonicii did, will report back