SAU Community

Front splits and rear speaker advice

400HP

Hi,

I'm interested in front splits, rear speakers (possibly 6"..... do 6x9's even fit?) and an amplifier to power these. Later I plan to get a small solo-baric sub with a seperate amp...... but for the meantime this will do.... I guess having an alpine stacker (fm modulated at the moment) I will get an alpine headunit as well.

I'm not looking to spend much money.... Was wondering what setup everyone has??

Cheers

Guest AFRO_BOY

Most likely 6x9's won't fit in your car coz i dont know what car has stock 6x9's. If you have a Holden you'll need to cut a hole for the 6x9's with a grinder, if u have a ford, you should be able to use tin snips, with nissans i have no idea.

You obviously know atleast some of you stuff coz those solobarics are beautiful but a bitch to power, if you plan on getting them, dont waste ur money on cheap speakers coz they make your music. Whats the point of having a good drummer without a nice vocalist.

If your gonna definitely go with solobaric or any good sub, your in for a lot of cash for the sub and a good amp. So if you spend the cash i'd say go for Infinity speakers. When using subs, always put bigger speakers in the front, so i'd say getting a nice pair of front 6 inch splits, and a pair of good 6 inch speakers, its less hastle, sounds better, easier to power.

Kicker make good amps so maybe try getting a good deal with the kicker sub and amp together.

I love american stuff which is why i've got infinity 6x9's, plan to get infinity 2-ways in the front, powered by a 50 W-RMS x 4 Clarion amp which doesn't even power em to their full potential but still good, 2 orion subs to a cheap 600 Watt amp (had a 15-inch kicker but couldn't power it well). All hooked up to a mid range pioneer deck, 5450. Reason i've got 6x9's instead of 6 inches is coz my stock speaker holes would have to be cut anyway and i got a good deal on em.

Remember, your system will only sound as good as your shittest component so use good wiring too.

Infinity splits = $350 - 500

Infinity 6x9's = $250

Deck = $500

kicker amp = $400-600

:shake: :lol:

Guest AFRO_BOY

I forget that all you guys own nissans. I've got a holden so i don't know about some of this stuff, but either way i'd still use 6" instead of 6x9 if u can save the cash coz you want more sound in the front.

A mate of mine has only got tweeters hooked up to his stock speakers with his high powered subs, and then made his front splits REALLY powerful

In my old WRX, I never used 6x9's in the rear. Because I've always believed that 6x9 are for those who can't fit a sub. Keep in mind that I'm after clarity rather than loudness. 6x9's plus a sub will make the bass sound muffled.

But if your after loudness, fit 6x9's in the rear.

remember when you do your stereo- you dont drive you car from the back seat, or watch a concert with your back turned.

put all your speakers in the front of your car!

buy some shitty 5" coaxails for the back

the only reason people put car audio gear in the boot is for space.

Originally posted by 400HP

what setup did you use dude? and more interestingly whats the setup in the gTR?

Sorry to say but the GTR is strictly for road/track. Therefore the audio is stock as a rock, except for the Kennwood deck. Less weight.

The WRX however, was more interesting. Deck was an Alpine unit with an equaliser and 10 stack CD. Front splits were 6' MB Quartz splits and the rear were 6' Phillips 2 way. The Subs were 2 Kenwood. Amps were 2 Nakamichi. One was a 4 way (for the splits) and a 2 way (bridged for the subs). Pretty hairy stuff as I was after clarity rather than noise.

But then again, that car was total rice. That + bodykit + lowered 18' rims. You get the drift.

Guest gee-wizz
Originally posted by Silver-Arrowz

The WRX however, was more interesting. Deck was an Alpine unit with an equaliser and 10 stack CD. Front splits were 6' MB Quartz splits and the rear were 6' Phillips 2 way. The Subs were 2 Kenwood. Amps were 2 Nakamichi. One was a 4 way (for the splits) and a 2 way (bridged for the subs). Pretty hairy stuff as I was after clarity rather than noise.

Why did u mix quality gear like MB Quart & Nakamichi with Kenwood & Phillips?????! Oh well i'm sure it would still sound nice :uh-huh:

I'm pretty happy with the gear in my r32. Ive got a pioneer deck, MB Quart 5 1/4" splits up front, Rockford Fosgate punch 6" 2 ways in the back (6X9's are a waste if u plan on running subs) for the rear fill, 2 10" Alpine subs with all the speakers running off V12 amps. i would have preferred to go some 12's (Infinity reference 12's would be joy!) but i had these leftover from my last car.:)

good luck!

Guest gee-wizz
Originally posted by ultim8DTM5

i can defend philips as useless rear fill, as for kenwood, theyre new dB subs are quite the goods...

as for yourself GEE-WIZZ, unless your rockfords were fanatics i dont want to hear a word from you!!!

jk

Sorry mate I didnt mean to offend you! :D Its just an unusual mix between high end and average gear. I'm not doubting that it sounds good! as for not having RF fanatics for my rear fill -I think that would be a bit of a waste (unless u have coin to blow). The 6" punches do an excellent job :uh-huh:

apologies if my original post sounded like i was having a go :P

Those Phillips are to fill in the rear. So why spend so much?

As for the Kenwood subs, at the time, they were the best 12" on the market. Remember that I brought this around 1996 or 7 I think. Trust me, they killed a lot of other stuff on the market at that time.

Originally posted by gee-wizz

Sorry mate I didnt mean to offend you! :D  Its just an unusual mix between high end and average gear. I'm not doubting that it sounds good! as for not having RF fanatics for my rear fill -I think that would be a bit of a waste (unless u have coin to blow). The 6" punches do an excellent job :uh-huh:

apologies if my original post sounded like i was having a go :)

hah yeah i was piss-taking too, felt i had to defend silver-arrows on his ol skool install (not as many brands around in 97, thou this was the 'lets build door pods!' phase of car audio, sadly missed...)

:burnout:

Guest gee-wizz

only wish i could afford to have some nice buildouts! :)

no worries, now that weve kissed and made up spose we can stop post whoring!:D

Guest gee-wizz
Originally posted by Silver-Arrowz

Speaking of door pods, remember the kick panels with speakers on them? I had a mate which spent 600 bucks EACH! for 2 at the front.

****! I hope he had some money left to put speakers in em! :)