SAU Community

Engine Shuts Down

KILL HSV

ok in the last two weeks my car has started doing this. when i'm driving the car to work in the morning, probably every second day the car completely shuts itself down.

it usually happens when the oil is at 10 degrees below normal temperature.And everytime, the hicas light comes on and then the 4wd light follows. then the engine loses power and stops.

then after this happens it takes almost an hour for the car to start again.Also when i try to start the car the fuel pump doesn't make the buzzing sound like normal.

the car is stock except for a cat-back exhaust, oh and it is an r32 gtr

any help is really appreciated

I had this problem 2 weeks ago, and it is already fixed, it cost me $470. Mechanican changed 4 sparkplugs and replace some thing to control the fuel go into the engine because the fuel wasn't burning completely. So first, u can try to change sparkplugs and see how it goes. That may save u some money.

How old is your battery? Skylines are notorious for their susceptibility to voltages and charge rates.

The other possibility is the ignitor module for the coils - they tend to be susceptible to excessive heat and will often stop until given the chance to cool off a bit.

yeh that sounds like it could be it, it happens intermittently just before the oil gets to working temp, but it doesn't happen all the time, 70% of the time it drives fine

although usually before it happens the car has a slight miss, sorry to hear about you're car what replaced it?

My car is doing this also. It was fine before I took it to the mechanic, he replaced the AFM cause they said the car was running lean. Now it drops out on me and has flat spots. I usually just wait a minute before starting it again and then it seems to be ok. It happended for a couple days. Then i fiddled around with the AFM it didn't do it for 2 days.. now its doing it again. So i'm guessing the mechanic put in a dodgy AFM. Or maybe its the fuel pump. I have to take it back and get them to look at it. I just hope this doesn't cause any damage to any other parts of the engine, the turbo especially. All of the misfiring and stopping and starting.

I had this problem 2 weeks ago, and it is already fixed, it cost me $470. Mechanican changed 4 sparkplugs and replace some thing to control the fuel go into the engine because the fuel wasn't burning completely. So first, u can try to change sparkplugs and see how it goes. That may save u some money.

do you know what the part was that the mech changed?

So have you fixed ur car?? because my car just happen exactly the same problem again. And i don't want to spen any more money on this, what did you do for ur car. and do you know where are the spark plugs, i can't find where it is.

Well thats a good one. Spark plugs are under your coil pack cover. The aluminium bit that goes over your engine head (In the middle). Under that you have your coil pack, then under that are your spark plugs. =)

Do you have an Rb20,25 or 26? The Rb20, you might need to take off the oil hose on the top first.

Well done, I hope your C.A.S. was the problem... how much did you spend all up to fix your problem?

Thanks. B)

Well thats a good one.  Spark plugs are under your coil pack cover.  The aluminium bit that goes over your engine head (In the middle).  Under that you have your coil pack, then under that are your spark plugs. =)

Do you have an Rb20,25 or 26? The Rb20, you might need to take off the oil hose on the top first.

Well done, I hope your C.A.S. was the problem... how much did you spend all up to fix your problem?

Thanks.  B)

First, I spent 470, then 3 weeks later it seem like happen again, machanican recomenced me to change bigger muffler becaue it can burn more fuel. I bourgh a full Apexi muffler system, it cost me only 520, now car works perfectly.