SAU Community

Exporters From Japan

Informer

I've been trying to find some companies to help ship my car back to Australia from Japan, but getting some strange quotes.

I was quoted 230,000 yen to bring back my car from one company!

Is that right? That is suppose to include custom duty, GST, transport by land (from Brisbane to Melbourne because they only ship to Brisbane).

I thought it should be way less than that unless I'm missing something. They didn't give me a quotation to break down the cost which is kind of dodgy.

Can anyone else recommend other shipping companies in the region of Funabashi/Chiba?

i assume the company is kiwi car carries aka seaway?

costs should be:

around $900 AUD for shipping (assuming 10 cubic meters)

around $200 for customs clearance

10% duty (taken on value/cost of car and freight added together)

10% GST (take on top of the above including whatever duty was applied)

land transport about $200 too.

I would look at finding a line that ships direct to melb. maybe mitsui OSK, or K-line, there are a few options.

I would look at finding a line that ships direct to melb. maybe mitsui OSK, or K-line, there are a few options.

Thanks, unfortunately I've no idea how to do that. Been e-mailing and calling a few companies. I cannot believe how much I was quoted.

I'm trying to bring back my own car not make a million dollars!

have you tried mitsui OSK or k line? see what they charge, but like i think the price you quote above is not that unreasonable so it may be hard to get it much cheaper.

Yeah I think I'll just go with them.

I have a question about deregistration, am I suppose to do that after I have the car in the shipping yard or can I do it before?

do it before will be safe.

about the shipping charge, depending on the size of your car, a supra cost around 1200AUD to send from yoko to fremantle. around 1090AUD for a s13.

keep in mine, that the shipping cost is depending on the US dollar, they convert from US to JPN. get a quote for the US dollar as well.

plus the land transport between bri to melb will not cheap.

it's always better to find a carrier that can unload the car in your neariest port. K=line will be your best selection.

AND it's end of year, the spaces are normally fully booked, they will charge you more if you want your car shipped

do it before will be safe.

about the shipping charge, depending on the size of your car, a supra cost around 1200AUD to send from yoko to fremantle. around 1090AUD for a s13.

keep in mine, that the shipping cost is depending on the US dollar, they convert from US to JPN. get a quote for the US dollar as well.

plus the land transport between bri to melb will not cheap.

it's always better to find a carrier that can unload the car in your neariest port. K=line will be your best selection.

AND it's end of year, the spaces are normally fully booked, they will charge you more if you want your car shipped

Thanks for that, I'll get the car deregistered, then send it to the shipping yard.

Kiwi carrier said that because I need to transport my car from Brisbane to Melb, they're offering some kind of compensation to cover the land transport cost (not all of it but just part of it). The overall cost still amounts to "their estimate", and I don't think it includes whatever i need to pay to the aussie gov.

Well, today is a public holiday so I'll find out tomorrow.

yes charlie knows how useful their insurance is. I also know, as do a number of my friends who have used kiwi's roro shipping services.

insurance is only any good if they actually pay you out when shit happens...

better off to go with a more reliable carrier (like the ones repeatedly posted above) and if you want REAL insruance then you will have to pay for it.